Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 2:57:31 PM EDT
I absolutely love shooting my g30 and my g21.    I love the everything about the guns themselves.
The 30 is my EDC and the 21 is my nightstand gun/range toy.
When I was cleaning my 30 today I noticed a little crack in the slide cover plate.  I used to be really into Ruger and was always amazed by their customer service. I know first hand that if there was something like that on a Ruger, they'd send one out right away, most of the time you'd get the part within 2 to 3 days of calling.  5 days was a long time for them.
 So, I try Glock customer service.  They tell me that I can't get one because I'm not a Glock certified armorer. That I need to either ship the gun to them at my expense for evaluation, OR take the gun to a certified armorer and pay them to install the slide cover plate. Also, if I pay the armorer to install the plate , the armorer has to contact Glock for the replacement part, and after the armorer contacts Glock, they will send it out in 7 to 10 days.
 I expressed that this was my EDC and I didn't want to be without it that long and he said it was too bad , that I'm not an armorer so it didn't matter. I thanked him and told him I needed to come up with a quicker solution.  He pointed out before I got off the phone "Don't go putting one in yourself, and don't swap the one out from your other gun to your EDC. that will void your warranty.
 Anyone else thing that its absolutely ridiculous to have to hire an armorer and wait a week and a half to two weeks JUST for a slide cover plate?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
its pretty easy to swap the slide cover plate, I doubt they would notice. Just keep the old one and put it back in before you ever send it off to glock to warranty a different issue.

but yes I agree that is lame on glocks part not to send you a factory one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, they only have a 1 year warranty.....not big on happy customers.......
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My bigger concern would be WHY is the slide cover plate cracking? That can't be a common occurrence. Is something else going on with your gun?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the company more than the gun, honestly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
A lot of companies insist on certain parts being installed by gunsmiths or certified armorers.  There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to it, some companies are worse than others.  But its not uncommon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I will be back in the US on the 20th. Email me and I'll send you one. They're easy to put in. Probably on youtube, or a friendly neighborhood fun shop should be able to put it in in 1 minute if they are worth a flip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I love their customer service !!!! I  just stopped by Glock the other day and got a new frame through the swap program, installed all new internals for free, and test fired my new pistol. All that while I waited and took about 20 minutes

Also forgot to add - if you take your mags they will check the springs and replace them if needed for free
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the company more than the gun, honestly.
View Quote

This!  +1

I do understand your position though.  I would be irritated myself.

For various reasons, Gaston Glock belongs in the Pantheon of great gun designers.

But, in my opinion, the Glock pistol does not belong in the Pantheon of great pistols.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been there for quite some time now. Love the guns, hate the company and their attitude.

I had an early 2nd Gen G21 that had to be sent back to have the slide milled for one of the "upgrades". Did they pay for shipping? No, they did not. What was I told when I asked them to pay? Sorry, no joy, you have to pay. And, by the way, now that you have called in and we have a record of the serial number and that you own it, if you don't pay and have it shipped, no warranty coverage for you. So, I paid and shipped. This was right after UPS and FedEx went to overnight shipping for handguns and the Saver did not exist, so $78.00 to ship overnight. To be fair, when I got it back, it ran GREAT and has run GREAT for almost 50,000 rds.

A few years later, I got bit by the .40 bug and bought a 2nd Gen G23. It blew up on a factory round because of the incredibly shitty case support at the feed ramp. Again, I call Glock. They, again, tell me that I have to ship it back for inspection and parts replacement (extractor, extractor depressor plunger and spring) and, if I don't pay to ship it back, no warranty for me. So, I paid to ship it back, despite being an armorer and being able to order parts myself. The saver shipping had gone into effect by then, so I "only" paid about $50.00. Got it back and carried it until I could trade it off.

I have been an armorer since about 1995. Despite this, I have called and mailed in forms to try and order parts for guns at my PD. Almost every time, I got told too bad, so sad, no parts for you, even when I wanted to pay for them to have spares. You have to send it back for inspection or no warranty for you. The only part I have gotten them to ship me was the 30274 ejector for my G19 when it exhibited brass to face a couple years ago. Even then, the tech was surly and VERY reluctant to ship it to me. He almost told me to send it in, until I pointed out to him that he could look up on his little computer that I had been an armorer for 17 years or so and had probably been an armorer longer than he had worked for Glock and, if they didn't ship the damned part, I was done with Glock and would make sure that my PD was done with them, too. He reluctantly shipped it and, luckily, it fixed my G19.

I love the guns themselves. Accurate, durable as hell, reliable, inexpensive and EASY to work on. Parts are everywhere and cheap. The corporate policies and practices, however, are absolute shit. With the fiasco with the BTF on recent 9mm guns and their refusal to admit that there is a problem, their refusing to admit that there is a problem with rust and corrosion on some guns since they quit using Tenifer and the way I have been treated by their customer service, I honestly think I probably will never buy another one. People talk about HK and their "you suck and we hate you" attitude, but that is about all I have ever gotten from Glock. I'll keep the ones I have, but probably no new ones. If this is the way Gaston insists on running the company, he can choke on a bag of dicks, for all I care.

Bub75
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my Glock 21sf, it was my first gun and I got it about 3 or 4 years ago.  I just never went back to Glock after the initial issues they has with gen 4, and most importantly, I do not like the new finish that they use.  The old, shiny finish is bulletproof.  The new one, while it is grippy, just seems to wear a lot easier.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't find anything else that seems to be wrong with the gun, or that might be causing a problem. The crack is a very small one, its in the lower right and you can't see it unless the plate is removed from the gun, it's in the the thinner area that goes inside the slide.  You have to really look hard to see it. It could have been there all along and I just never noticed it, I don't know.
 I know they are easy to replace, and cheap to buy. I just figured I'd give them first chance to help me out. And I'm glad I did. I know what to expect now. Even though I can get just about any part online I know now what's going to happen if I ever do need Glock's help on one of my pistols.
I took my glock 21 and my glock 30 and put them both on armslist.  There's plenty of other manufacturers out there that I can give my money too. Some of them even deserve it, LOL

And I wholeheartedly agree on the bag of dicks suggestion
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Best thing I like about the Glocks I've owned is that I've never had to contact the company to fix anything.

Sorry to hear about your problems, though, OP, all things mechanical break eventually. I would have just bought the part from a third party and fixed it myself, but most everything I own is far beyond any warranty. I either fix it myself or it stays broke.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Best thing I like about the Glocks I've owned is that I've never had to contact the company to fix anything.

Sorry to hear about your problems, though, OP, all things mechanical break eventually. I would have just bought the part from a third party and fixed it myself, but most everything I own is far beyond any warranty. I either fix it myself or it stays broke.
View Quote

Thanks .
I know all things break, its not the crack in the part that bothers me at all. Like I said, if had been a smith and wesson or a ruger, they would have jumped at the chance to help.  It really makes me think about what would happen if there really was a problem.  how much of a nightmare would I be in for then
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:42:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#17]
yes ...
on the LE side it run like the mafia
its or else
or else your cut off
i have told some of there higher ups OFF many times
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother experiences as an le armorer for contrast - when his dept was running mostly s&W revolvers if a problem was identified with a batch of guns anywhere s&W contacted them to make sure they did not have any guns affected. At that time cops supplied their own pistol so s&W could not be sure the dept had a gun affected but let them know anyway.
Glocks "recalls" are much more secretive. When they transitioned to glocks in the 90's ( when the 40's were brand new) when he took a group of guys to the range over half the guns broke extractors. He called glock and they replaced them. Second range day same thing. After the third range day ( by this time like 75% of the extractors had broke) glock admitted they had to redesign the part and the new part would be out to him in a couple days, which it was. Guns ran fine after that. However about 6 months later a neighboring agency got the same pistols and found they had the same problems and at no time did glock publicly admit the problem or make an effort to replace the faulty part prior to shipping pistols to the agency . This sort of thing has happened with glock many times. They will never openly admit to less than perfection.
And yes they have a policy no one but a certified armorer can Order parts from them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My brother experiences as an le armorer for contrast - when his dept was running mostly s&W revolvers if a problem was identified with a batch of guns anywhere s&W contacted them to make sure they did not have any guns affected. At that time cops supplied their own pistol so s&W could not be sure the dept had a gun affected but let them know anyway.
Glocks "recalls" are much more secretive. When they transitioned to glocks in the 90's ( when the 40's were brand new) when he took a group of guys to the range over half the guns broke extractors. He called glock and they replaced them. Second range day same thing. After the third range day ( by this time like 75% of the extractors had broke) glock admitted they had to redesign the part and the new part would be out to him in a couple days, which it was. Guns ran fine after that. However about 6 months later a neighboring agency got the same pistols and found they had the same problems and at no time did glock publicly admit the problem or make an effort to replace the faulty part prior to shipping pistols to the agency . This sort of thing has happened with glock many times. They will never openly admit to less than perfection.
And yes they have a policy no one but a certified armorer can Order parts from them.
View Quote

Which is dumb as hell. They brag about how simple the Glock design is, etc, but they think you need to take an armorers course that teaches you nothing more than you can learn on your own or via a few good youtube videos to work on them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#20]
My glock has been utterly reliable so I can't speak about their customer service.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#21]
All that I can say is this....

Any company that will install $57 night sights (Meprolight tritium) on their gun is all right in my book...

Can't beat that for customer service...

Forrest

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I think is funny that to be an armour needs to have an FFL or be part of a police department oh well just frustrating but limits many specially those living in a small town

So for me a bump in the road
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think is funny that to be an armour needs to have an FFL or be part of a police department oh well just frustrating but limits many specially those living in a small town

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

AC - Armorers course (1 Day)

Learn how to safely use and maintain your weapon in a one day (8 hour) class.

(To be eligible to take the Armorers Course you must be an active law enforcement or military officer, private security, GLOCK Stocking Dealer/Range Program Employee or current GSSF member.)

https://glocktraining.com/CourseDesc.aspx

ETA: Signup form
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope. I hate em both.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love their customer service !!!! I  just stopped by Glock the other day and got a new frame through the swap program, installed all new internals for free, and test fired my new pistol. All that while I waited and took about 20 minutes

Also forgot to add - if you take your mags they will check the springs and replace them if needed for free
View Quote

Yeah, great if you live in or near their manufacturing plant. I do/did and they fixed a POS G27 that had FTB's, Stovepipe's, and a locking slide with rounds in the magazine issue (with 6 different people shooting it mind you)... I got a lot of swag and decent CS but... if you don't live close enough to drive it over: then Glock wants you to spend your money to ship it to them. Of which I think is total garbage. S&W doesn't let you spend your own money fixing a pistol with manufacturing defects, Springfield doesn't let you do it either. So I have switched from Glocks to 1911's and M&P's... Glock can keep their Glocks...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks .
I know all things break, its not the crack in the part that bothers me at all. Like I said, if had been a smith and wesson or a ruger, they would have jumped at the chance to help.  It really makes me think about what would happen if there really was a problem.  how much of a nightmare would I be in for then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks .

I just had Springfield replace a worn out slide release, pin & stake the ejector, re-tune an extractor, replace the safety finger spring, recoil spring, firing pin spring, plunger tube, and totally work over the pistol, all for free shipping both ways, and about 2 weeks turn around time. I can imagine what Glock would have said to all of that... It's also half the reason I don't use them anymore. The other was a total POS G27 I picked up new from Tucker Gun... My first and last...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Blame Lawyers, not Glock
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is incorrect.

AC - Armorers course (1 Day)

Learn how to safely use and maintain your weapon in a one day (8 hour) class.

(To be eligible to take the Armorers Course you must be an active law enforcement or military officer, private security, GLOCK Stocking Dealer/Range Program Employee or current GSSF member.)

https://glocktraining.com/CourseDesc.aspx

ETA: Signup form

I'm not incorrect just not fully correct. Stocking dealer and FFL is splitting hairs. Nonetheless my point  is that there is a prerequisite
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Blame Lawyers, not Glock
View Quote

The lawyers make them refuse to pay for shipping?  lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame Lawyers, not Glock

Its the lawyers fault because WE are a lawsuit happy society. They insisted that Glock have Certified amorers install the part to reduce the liability on their part. If some idiot orders a part and they ship it. The same idiot installs it incorrectly and the gun blows up. Who's gonna get sued? He's not a certified gunsmith/armorer. Why did you sell him the part? Pay this amount, Glock. Much like the McDonalds HOT coffee thing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its the lawyers fault because WE are a lawsuit happy society. They insisted that Glock have Certified amorers install the part to reduce the liability on their part. If some idiot orders a part and they ship it. The same idiot installs it incorrectly and the gun blows up. Who's gonna get sued? He's not a certified gunsmith/armorer. Why did you sell him the part? Pay this amount, Glock. Much like the McDonalds HOT coffee thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame Lawyers, not Glock

Not really, the woman had 3rd degree burns and like 20-40k in med bills and requested compensation for that amount.  McDonalds refused and hence, was sued.  The jury awarded a large sum as a result of McDonalds negligence in giving out coffee that was known to the company as being way too hot and they had zero intent to change that.

If it's a serviceable part in the manual shown in the breakdown for cleaning it's really just them being pricks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, great if you live in or near their manufacturing plant. I do/did and they fixed a POS G27 that had FTB's, Stovepipe's, and a locking slide with rounds in the magazine issue (with 6 different people shooting it mind you)... I got a lot of swag and decent CS but... if you don't live close enough to drive it over: then Glock wants you to spend your money to ship it to them. Of which I think is total garbage. S&W doesn't let you spend your own money fixing a pistol with manufacturing defects, Springfield doesn't let you do it either. So I have switched from Glocks to 1911's and M&P's... Glock can keep their Glocks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well- alright then but I still am a very happy customer as they treated me very well
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame Lawyers, not Glock

USPS loses a gun (stolen by an Equal Opportunuty hire )

Some aspiring rapper gets shot

Mah baby din't do nuffin

Gloria Allred shows up

Glock gets sued for not ensuring the safety of a complete supply chain of criminals that stole your gun you sent in for sights.

Yes.  Lawyers ruin everything.  Be happy that Glock doesn't feel the need to inscribe the entire fucking manual and dire warnings of grevious bodily  injury on on their slides like everyone else does.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#34]
At least every part is available online unlike a lot of other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
At least every part is available online unlike a lot of other manufacturers.
View Quote

This

What do you guys even need Smyrna for?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have read that if you bitch enough on the phone they'll give you a shipping label to send it back.   I really haven't tried it myself.   I've sent two guns back, one I paid for (early 21SF with the mag release recall, swapped it for a brand new gun), and one they paid for (year old G19 that the slide lock fell out of twice).
View Quote

You shouldn't have to bitch to them on the phone for them to pay shipping on a firearm that broke under warranty, especially when they won't just send you the damn part to install yourself.

The one Taurus I bought never ran right from day one.  Despite my attempts at being polite, then bitching, I had to pay shipping to them. Apparently the slide to frame fit was off and they had to machine the rails on the frame. I won't buy anything else from Taurus and now I know not to buy from glock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You shouldn't have to bitch to them on the phone for them to pay shipping on a firearm that broke under warranty, especially when they won't just send you the damn part to install yourself.

The one Taurus I bought never ran right from day one.  Despite my attempts at being polite, then bitching, I had to pay shipping to them. Apparently the slide to frame fit was off and they had to machine the rails on the frame. I won't buy anything else from Taurus and now I know not to buy from glock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have read that if you bitch enough on the phone they'll give you a shipping label to send it back.   I really haven't tried it myself.   I've sent two guns back, one I paid for (early 21SF with the mag release recall, swapped it for a brand new gun), and one they paid for (year old G19 that the slide lock fell out of twice).

very well put.

and about the lawyer thing, even if I believed that they could get sued because someone incorrectly installed the rear plate (lets hypathetically say that its even possible to install it wrong), theres no way they are going to get sued for paying shipping, and they sure arent going to be sued for being nicer to their customers on the phone.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Some of the best firearms out there are made by companies with mediocre civilian customer support.  Glock and KAC come to mind.  I love the both, but they're more focused on their LE/Mil customers and could use some improvement in the civilian customer service department.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Does that make you guys sick that Glock Customer service treated me so well and I have nothing but good things to say about them ? or would it be better to get on board the pity wagon
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does that make you guys sick that Glock Customer service treated me so well and I have nothing but good things to say about them ? or would it be better to get on board the pity wagon
View Quote

personally it makes me quite happy that they treated you so well. I'd rather hear good stories than bad ones.  

as far as pity wagon... no pity, they don't treat me right as a customer, I go elsewhere, no pity to it
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#42]
They actually have pretty good customer service as far as them replacing parts, etc. As far as the the Glock armorer goes, you should check with some of your LGS, you can't sling a dead cat at a gun store without hitting 6 Glock Armorers. They should be able to get it done while you wait. As you probably know it is like a 10 second job.

Personally, for that part I would just go order one off Lonewolfdist.com or something and replace it myself, I ain't worried about voiding a warranty on a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Blame Lawyers, not Glock
View Quote

Other gun companies don't have lawyers?

Don't get me wrong now, I love my Glocks, but Glock has areas that could use some improvements.  Customer service comes to mind.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#44]
How in the hell can you hate a company, but like their product?  If you have a Glock and like it.......what do you really care about the"company"?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]
The rear plate is a piece of sheet metal with plastic molded over it.  Even if it is cracked, which I doubt, I bet you are looking at a mold line, nothing is going to happen to the gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How in the hell can you hate a company, but like their product?  If you have a Glock and like it.......what do you really care about the"company"?  
View Quote

Probably should have read the 2 pages before replying. Pretty easy to like a product and hate a company.. Since they are not the same thing. And there are plenty of examples to be made. General Motors, Wal-mart, Electronic Arts, are the pretty common examples.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top