Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2014 9:07:36 AM EDT
Handgun thread was archived (Click here to view that) and I cannot continue on it so here is the new and improved thread. Why improved? well, during the last few months we have updated our gear and taken a new method in use.
This all should allow us to produce even better picture material for your enjoyment.

I start this thread with something special; Lahti L-35 9mm pistol used in Finnish Winter war to defend Finland against Soviet Union aggression. Needless to say that it was success.

We shot old war time lead ammo so blast smoke was guaranteed :)

Our plan is to kick in more science in future images so if you have any ideas, please let us know, maybe we can investigate them :)

More images at Kuulapaa.com
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent. Loved your old thread.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Very cool
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
why are the slides forward in every pic?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What's the unusual thing in this picture?

No, it's not the ruler on it. Despite the gun looks silent and calm, unlike guns usually do in our pictures, the primer has been struck and powder is actually burning inside. Nothing we can see from outside is implying that though. Imagine that

Why is the ruler there then you may ask? Well, it's because of our next test. When does the slide start moving? How fast does it move? And how much has  it moved when bullet finally exits the barrel?

These are the questions we try to answer next.

Interested? I am!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they haven't yet started to move enough for you to see.  Those pictures are taken milliseconds after firing and the slides on most guns don't move until after the round is out of the barrel.

ETA....OP hit the nail on the head in his post right above mine.  Suspect the subsequent pictures will tell a great story!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because they haven't yet started to move enough for you to see.  Those pictures are taken milliseconds after firing and the slides on most guns don't move until after the round is out of the barrel.

ETA....OP hit the nail on the head in his post right above mine.  Suspect the subsequent pictures will tell a great story!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, a nice test will be done to illustrate just that
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Interested in the slide movement!
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday I heard that one of my shooting buddies had an incident at range. Nothing too serious but an eye injury. Da*n, eyes again? Hopefully it's not a permanent one.
Guess if he had his eye protection on? No, he did not, so in addition to thousands already existing warnings I made a simple picture with clear message:

Protect your eyes link

I can say I'm on mission: This picture is something I ask you to post and send forward and even print to you local range wall.

Don't gamble with your eyes - you can only lose in that game!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock = mushroom cloud.  Always:

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glock = mushroom cloud.  Always:
View Quote

Glock you say?

Here are the teasers for the latest set - GLOCK in transitional phase!

Go check the full set and ENJOY!:
www.kuulapaa.com

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome pictures!  I browsed the rest of your site and saw some commentary about "bullet wobble."  How much quantification has there been done on this?  It almost sounds similar to a football being thrown...sometimes it can wobble slightly and still be very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:43:51 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread, it's winning.

Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Awesome pictures!  I browsed the rest of your site and saw some commentary about "bullet wobble."  How much quantification has there been done on this?  It almost sounds similar to a football being thrown...sometimes it can wobble slightly and still be very accurate.
View Quote

Not that much. I cannot state that all bullets wobble but some bullets seem to be tilted slightly while other ones are straight. But that is only their state during that single frame. Definitely more investigation is needed.

Bigger picture
(Upper picture slide guide line has been lifted slightly to avoid line hitting the bullet side.)

Are these bullets wobbling, hard to say... What do you think?

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome thread!  Fantastic photos!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not that much. I cannot state that all bullets wobble but some bullets seem to be tilted slightly while other ones are straight. But that is only their state during that single frame. Definitely more investigation is needed.

http://kuulapaa.com/Duallight/Wobble%20combined_800.jpg
Bigger picture
(Upper picture slide guide line has been lifted slightly to avoid line hitting the bullet side.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger picture

Yep, it is hard to say although it certainly does look like the axis of the bullet is not parallel to the bore in those pictures.  I have heard that rifle bullets with a "penetrator core" can do something similar, since the center of mass isn't necessarily perfectly in line with the center of rotation, thus causing a little bit of wobble about that axis.  Perhaps that is happening in these pistol bullets as well.

It is great that your pictures have the resolution to be able to capture what looks like wobble, and to be able to discuss and debate it!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#18]
All bullets wobble, (technically, it is called "yaw").

Rifle bullets are worse than handgun bullets typically, because they are longer.

This explains why AP bullets penetrate the most when fired over a 100 meters.  The bullet has stabilized, and is able to do its best work.

It also explains why FMJ spitzers can be so devastating at close range.  I have had a FMJ 7.62 NATO bullet stop after penetrating 3 water filled OJ cartons.  Yes, I got a bit wet from the splash.  No, there is nothing wrong with my rifle, as so many have wrongly suggested.  It is just the nature of the beast at very close range.

Mythbusters got the .50 BMG wrong.  It does not break up on contact with water, unless fired at very close range.  Give that big bullet time to stabilize, and it will penetrate quite a few feet of water.  The military did tests on this, I have seen the results.  I don't remember the actual numbers, but swimming underwater will not protect you from a .50.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't say much about wobbling or yawning in this but it's a slightly improved version of previous image.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bigger picture

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger picture

Uneven weight distribution of the lube on the bullet? Some of it seems to have come off. Could that unbalance a bullet?

Maybe the bullet was slightly undersized for the bore?

Perhaps the barrel is at the end of it's service life, or just doesn't like unjacketed bullets?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Now this is interesting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is awesome

I'd love to get some of these pictures framed for my (future) man cave
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:43:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Great photography!

I am interested in the slide movement findings.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Great pics!  

There was once a nimrod in arfcom who argued that a semi slide began to move the second (or milli-second) the rd was fired. Despite my best attempts at logic, i.e. bullets move faster than a slide, he remained solid in his ignorance.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Neat pics OP!
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great pics!  

There was once a nimrod in arfcom who argued that a semi slide began to move the second (or milli-second) the rd was fired. Despite my best attempts at logic, i.e. bullets move faster than a slide, he remained solid in his ignorance.  

View Quote

I'll take "How do barrel lugs work?" for $400, Alex.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great pics!  

View Quote

Umm...it does. There was a high speed clip on youtube, can't find it now, but they had marks on both the slide and frame (IIRC it was a STI IPSC gun). Before the bullet exited the barrel, the slide was moving. It's plain as day.

Ahh...here it is (hit mute before you watch it...I can't find the original, and someone dubbed a horrible song on this )

Here's a screenshot, if you can't be bothered...note the bullet is _just_ exiting the barrel, and look at how far the slide's already moved:

Edit - stupid thing won't un-whitebox...the url is http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G0VjdI_S_HM#t=65
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep, energy starts to affect slide at the same exact moment it moves the bullet. Only difference is the mass and thus the velocity. That's a pretty much what I can show as well.
To do things a little bit differently we're putting in some comp guns:

Some gun stuff
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I want a high speed camera
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#30]
My buddy actually took this photo.  Pretty sweet timing; makes me wish my camera was high speed (no pun intended) so that I could get more pics like it.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Side shot:

Author site
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is the same Edge than previously, but with better ruler:

Test gun slide (STI Edge) has moved 1.5 millimeters or 0.06 inches while the bullet is still partly inside barrel. Same thing applies roughly to all pistols.
This picture can be posted to other forums as well, when needed :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top