Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 6:14:20 AM EDT
In my quest to find the perfect handgun for me I'm looking to add another to my list, but with all the choices out there and no ranges around me that rent guns I really can't decide what to get. Currently I have a Gen4 G17, Sig P320, and I have enough trigger time with an XDM to know how it works for me.  The gun will be used for both range shooting and carry. Here's what I'm looking for:

1.It has to have a short trigger reach. I have small hands and a Gen4 glock is too long for me. The XDM and P320 with the small grip is about right but still not perfect.
2.Full size preferred(at least a 4" barrel)
3. left hand friendly if it has a manual safety(slide stop doesn't need to be since I never use them, and I can also work a RH mag release better than a LH)
4.Easy to get parts if something breaks
5.something that will last a long time
6.good aftermarket support for sights, holsters
7. 9mm preferred

I'm looking at the following guns

XDM
M&P FS
H&K VP9
Sig classic series ?
CZ series ?

I'd really like to get and M&P but the accuracy issues have been scaring me away, plus I know I'll have to spend another $160-70 in APEX parts for the trigger. The XDM seems like a good gun but people talk about issues with the platform that make it unreliable, although I've never heard what the issues are besides the easy to fix striker retaining pin and putting in a PRP trigger. The VP9 is new enough and I can't find anyone within 100 miles that has one in stock right now, plus I don't know if I want to be a beta tester for a new gun again. I've never handled the Sig classic series but the model with the SRT and E2 grip looks like they would have the short trigger reach I need. Also the decocker for the classic series is RH only and maybe that will cause issues. I've never handled a CZ before other than the clones, but I have handled a Browning High Power(which is supposed to be fairly close in design) and it fit my hand pretty well.

Another thing is I'm not sure if I want a DA/SA set up. I had one years ago and would never use the DA mode, I'd always pull the hammer back before shooting which is probably the wrong way to do things. I do like the simplicity of the striker fired guns.

I've also thought about a 1911, but I really don't want to spend over a grand to get a good one that will last. And I'm also pretty invested in 9mm and I've heard the 9mm versions of the 1911 can have issues.

Maybe I'm looking for a gun that doesn't exist.

Update. I ended up buying an M&P FS9. Even though I know they have a trigger that needs work and there are some accuracy issues I've wanted one since they first came out and I decided I just needed to scratch the itch and get it over with. My local gunshop only had one in stock that had a manual safety so I had him order me one without the safety. I should have it later next week. I will have to say that the trigger on the one he had on hand(it was made this summer)seemed better than on the M&P's I've handled before, but I'll probably still put an APEX kit in it.

I almost bought an FNS 9mm. It fit my hand really well and the trigger was actually really nice, it had a nice break and a really good reset. The trigger reminded me kind of like the trigger in my Glock but lighter. The thing that kept me from buying it was the lack of aftermarket support.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my XDM 9mm 4.5"
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Based on our 1-7 list I would recommend a 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I voted SIG, go with the slimmer E2 grips since you mentioned you have small hands. Either the 226 or the 229. I like the 226 myself, but it can be a bit big for carry.

If you go CZ, consider the 85 series. I think the big difference between the 75 and 85 is that the 85 has an ambi safety.  Someone with more experience than I have with the CZ will correct me if I am wrong.

I have a CZ75b compact that I really like, and especially if you put some slim VZ grips on it, it would be pretty good for your hand size. The slide on the CZs can be a little tougher to get a grip on just because it is the slide in frame design so you don't have a lot of surface area for gripping, so you may actually find it easier to use the slide release. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:44:39 AM EDT
[#4]
P series ruger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Considering your list you may want to try the Walther PPQ with a short grip insert installed.

The M1 version with a paddle mag release is even better for a lefty.  The gun is honestly ambidextrous.

The M2 version works as well but it has the standard button magazine release.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
A revolver
seriously
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#7]
The CZ 75 cocked and locked would work but since you like the feel of a Browning get that they are great guns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P series ruger.
View Quote

used to have one and didn't like it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm. That's a tough list for me to decide from.
Range toy primarily?
HD Gun?

Either way: I was torn between a classic Sig with the short trigger or a CZ. I've always wanted a CZ so that's what I voted. But in reality at a LGS I'd have a hard time deciding with the cash in hand.

Let us know what you decide please and why.

Cheers!

-JC

ETA: I just comprehended the sentence where you state your uses even though I had read it the first time. ADD…..
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
VP9 is brand new stuff indeed but there are already multiple reviews which are more than positive.
I doubt that HK would possibly release a beta-version of their gun especially considering the over-saturated striker market.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
VP9 is brand new stuff indeed but there are already multiple reviews which are more than positive.
I doubt that HK would possibly release a beta-version of their gun especially considering the over-saturated striker market.
View Quote

I agree that the VP9 is probably a safe choice, the only "issues" I've heard about is the trigger slap some are experiencing. Only problem with the VP9 is I've called almost dealer in an 80 mile radius that stocks handguns and either they don't carry HK or they don't have a VP9 to look at. I have one guy left to call tomorrow night and he, if any, would have one.

It'll probably take me a bit to get something since my gun fund is pretty much zero at the moment, unless I decide to sell a couple of guns I have no desire to keep.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
CZ P09
PPQ
G17 or 34
FNS
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Based on our 1-7 list I would recommend a 9mm 1911.
View Quote

+1
Specifically I would suggest a SA Range Officer or for even less money a RIA TAC. Both will run with decent mags.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#14]
CZ 85 Combat

Classic CZ 75 feel and styling, ambi controls and enhanced sights
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I just bought a Baby Eagle 45.  Ambi safey/decocker.  Mag release can be reversed.  Canik Stingray has ambi safety/slide stop.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Sig 1911 of whatever flavor you choose
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I`m a TDA shooter.

My 3 favorite TDA 9mm

MK25
M9A1 and other models
P30LS/P30S.

SFP
G17 that you already have. 2 is better or G19
FNS 9mm
PPQ 9mm
VP9 9mm
M&P in 40S&W  I still see reports of M&P 9mm that don't group well at 25Y
Screw XD
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A revolver
seriously
View Quote

Revolvers are so under ratted for C.C
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A revolver
seriously

And suck for a lefty.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm really starting to think hard about the CZ series, they are priced right and look to be a quality gun. Only problem is that nobody within a 150mile radius has CZ pistols on hand so I'd have to take a chance and just order one.

I like the Sig classic series but the decocker seems like it might be in a bad spot for a LH shooter.

ETA. Found a dealer that has a P-07 in stock so I might take a look at that. It is out of state and is a Gander Mountain(which are usually high priced)but at least I can hold one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
CZ-85.  Ambi version of the 75
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Get the VP9! The best semi auto on the market at this time! Im a lefty and Im really liking the ambi controls. First gun that I can hit the slide stop with my left thumb.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get the VP9! The best semi auto on the market at this time! Im a lefty and Im really liking the ambi controls. First gun that I can hit the slide stop with my left thumb.
View Quote

This, x1000000

You will not be disappoint.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:17:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
CZ-85.  Ambi version of the 75
View Quote

This

And not because it's ambiguous, but because it has a better trigger and sights.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]
1911 with a short trigger and ambi safe 9mm if you must ( keep in mind my tiny wife when given the choice picks a 1911 45 when I take her shooting)
It is too bad very few makers put short triggers on 1911's ( long fingered shooters can still manage a short trigger while short fingers and long triggers can be a no go)
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#26]
CZ 75 SA (Single Action) has a really short trigger reach and ambidextrous safety.  It also meets your other criteria.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top