BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Up vs Forward is not semantics. It's a different direction. You don't have to "sweep up" to flick the safety off. Your thumb is in a natural position to push it forward coming out of the draw, or with a proper grip. It's right there, you just nudge it and it goes.
View Quote

OK, just for you, semantics or otherswise:  moving it in the direction in which it goes is not natural.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

OK, just for you, semantics or otherswise:  moving it in the direction in which it goes is not natural.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Up vs Forward is not semantics. It's a different direction. You don't have to "sweep up" to flick the safety off. Your thumb is in a natural position to push it forward coming out of the draw, or with a proper grip. It's right there, you just nudge it and it goes.

I disagree. My thumb moves forward when gripping, touches the safety, it flicks off, I'm good to go. The safety is literally in the way, and you'd almost have to try to NOT flick it off.
I think people who grew up with or started shooting on 1911s think it's unnatural because it's different. But it's a pretty damn natural movement.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I disagree. My thumb moves forward when gripping, touches the safety, it flicks off, I'm good to go. The safety is literally in the way, and you'd almost have to try to NOT flick it off.
I think people who grew up with or started shooting on 1911s think it's unnatural because it's different. But it's a pretty damn natural movement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. The safety may not be as natural as a 1911 style safety, but it's far from user-unfriendly.

Add the safety in at the draw and it's a fairly user-friendly motion.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am not a fan of the e2 grip.  Have you shot a sig with one?
View Quote

I have. I like it but if a P226 doesn't have it then I can live with that. The SRT trigger is certainly a priority.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly. The safety may not be as natural as a 1911 style safety, but it's far from user-unfriendly.

http://youtu.be/Y1X7yATzxcM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/Y1X7yATzxcM

I agree.  While not a fan, if you ever pushed a safety forward to fire its not totally counter intuitive.  

My big bitch with this safety is not that its hard to disengage, but how EASY it is to engage when your clearing a malfunction or charging the chamber.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The pistol gets a lot of hate.

I never had a problem operating one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sig...even though I've have very little experience with the weapon.

What I do have is a lot of experience with the Beretta.

Yep hate the M9

Why the hate for the M9? Just curious is all. I have one and its the most accurate pistol ive owned. And I love how the slide feels like its on ball bearings. Good sized for my hands and I can carry it concealed if im in the mood but my G19 usually fills that roll.

True. The reason why is because guys in the military use them with shitty and/or worn the fuck out mags. With good factory Beretta and/or Mec-Gar magazines I've never had one FTF, FTB, Stove Pipe, or any kind of other malfunction with the 92 series, ever. It is soft shooting too even 9+P ammo. The only reason I got rid of mine was to consolidate to solely .40S&W and .45ACP pistol rounds. I'm NOT a 9mm fan at all but that is strictly personal. It's an ok round...

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not the gun's fault you're trying to use it incorrectly.  The Beretta is designed to be carried with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off.  Exactly the same way you would carry a newer SIG like a P227 that doesn't even have a manual safety.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the sights being too small, the grip too big, trigger sucking, and the locking blocks breaking, the M9 is a great pistol.

And you left out the other terrible ergos to include small and difficult to activate mag release and the safety which operates in the wrong/opposite direction.

It's the right direction for a slide safety/decocker.  Kind of like bitching that the AR-15's safety is wrong because it doesn't work like the crossbolt safety on a 10/22.

No, it's incorrect because as you are drawing the weapon and trying to establish a proper grip you have to move your thumb upwards to take the safety off, after that, you can start to move your thumb back down where it belongs.

As opposed to say a 1911 where the motion is all one sweep of the thumb.

It's not the gun's fault you're trying to use it incorrectly.  The Beretta is designed to be carried with one in the pipe, hammer down, safety off.  Exactly the same way you would carry a newer SIG like a P227 that doesn't even have a manual safety.

And that is how I carried mine when I used to carry a 92FS... Why would you carry it with the safety on, hammer down, one in the pipe, with that long double action trigger?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both and absolutely love both

Before the E2 grips came out I would have said Beretta, but the E2 grips was a game changer for the Sig handguns. The SRT coupled with the Short Reach trigger (thin), and a reduced power mainspring from Wolff makes a damn near perfect handgun in my opinion

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I only have a beretta.  But you should buy sig cause sig is sticking it to the man lately.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I only have a beretta.  But you should buy sig cause sig is sticking it to the man lately.
View Quote

Lol yep, the full baffle muzzle break

Love it!

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Love it!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love it!

I hadn't thought of that!

But that IS another point in SIG's favor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Honestly, I like both weapons about equally.
View Quote

I have both and I agree.  The trigger pull on my Beretta is actually better than on my Mk-25.  D-spring on the Beretta and the reduced hammer spring on the Sig.  My nod would go to the Sig just for the ability to use night sights.  Accuracy, dependability, mag availability are all equal.  Price is different but I already bought them...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 1995 P226 (German made w/ folded sheet metal slilde) and my wife has a 1994 Beretta 92FS with a "D" hammer spring installed.

Both are very accurate.  Both feel very refined in operation.  In my mind, they are the epitome of the DA/SA metal framed high cap 9mm.

Sig - Ergo's of the gun are good.  DA pull is heavier than the Beretta with D spring.  Having said that, the P226 that I have has a lighter DA trigger than my buddy's 1991 P226.  My main gripe with the P series is the slide release.  My grip always has me riding the slide release so the slide never locks back.  I've read countless negative things on newer Sig production, but don't have 1st hand experience.  The Mark 25 with SRT trigger sounds like a great pistol.  I installed the E2 grip a couple of years ago and it works well for me.  Having said that, my buddy put Hogue G10 grips on his and they are nicer.

Beretta 92FS - Since installing the D hammer spring, I've really taken a liking to the pistol.  I find I enjoy practicing DA only as it's the only DA trigger that I can shoot accurately with.  Trigger reset is actually pretty good as well.  I wear a size XL glove and find the Beretta ergo's good.  Reach to the DA trigger face is at it's limit though.  My 2 main gripes are the non replaceable front sight and the safety/decocker.  If I were to get another Beretta, it would be a G model or a frame mounted safety variant.

While heavier than the typical poly striker fired pistol, I shoot more precisely on both the Sig and Beretta.  Being in NJ, the 15 round mag capacities of both pistol are perfect for me.  Considering purchasing a 92FS-A1 or M9A1 as my next pistol.  The HK VP9 is another very strong contender.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#14]
CZ-75 SP-01
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've actually been observing a resurgence in the M9/92's popularity. I think Wilson Combat's announcement of Beretta services had a lot of people feel more vindicated in saying "Well, I'VE always liked the 92".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Why the hate for the M9? Just curious is all. I have one and its the most accurate pistol ive owned. And I love how the slide feels like its on ball bearings. Good sized for my hands and I can carry it concealed if im in the mood but my G19 usually fills that roll.

I've actually been observing a resurgence in the M9/92's popularity. I think Wilson Combat's announcement of Beretta services had a lot of people feel more vindicated in saying "Well, I'VE always liked the 92".

I`m a member over at the pistolforum
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

I've only been a member there for a short while. Has there always been that much Beretta 92/96 interest or is that a new phenomena?

I've just been seeing progressively more interest on places like here, TOS, and and Sig Forum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Never had a Sig I imagine they are easier to shoot than beretta with that gorilla sized grip. But did sig ever get their quality control up to par? One thing the Beretta has going for it is consistency, seems like most manufactures lately have QC issues lately.  
View Quote

I don't believe it was as bad as some say..  JAMMOMATIC PERIOD 2005-2012 = 7yrs of putting out lemons.  

As soon as the New President Cohen  took over that all a sudden the pistols became jammomatics within minutes. all because of cheap parts / springs.

Now they are suppose to be okay? LOL

I will only buy the short extractor models and lay a bet the MK25 will be GTG out of the box . Matter of Fact I wish I bought one instead of the HK P30S
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

MK25: 34.4 oz
M9A1: 33.9 oz

Both have a 15 rd capacity.

Considering you got the weight argument wrong, I probably shouldn't bother to ask this but, how is the M9 "poorly designed"? It's well known to be one of the most reliable pistols around. The only real reputation the M9 has for unreliability came from the army buying garbage mags early in the GWOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SIG without a doubt. The Beretta is a heavy, poorly designed, POS.

MK25: 34.4 oz
M9A1: 33.9 oz

Both have a 15 rd capacity.

Considering you got the weight argument wrong, I probably shouldn't bother to ask this but, how is the M9 "poorly designed"? It's well known to be one of the most reliable pistols around. The only real reputation the M9 has for unreliability came from the army buying garbage mags early in the GWOT.

Post like that above tell me everything I need to know.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't really like hammer guns, but if I did I would go for ANY sig over a 92. The SEALS have been using the 226 forever. I was in SF when the M9 was the only option, and it was the most broken weapon in the inventory. Even when they work as advertised, that gun is full of design flaws.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Problems with the M9 I observed while in SF:
1. Locking block failure- I personally experienced this 3 times. During urban combat training (a 4 week program) we would typically have 3-5 of these things happen out of about 60 pistols. If a pistol was used that didn't have a locking block, this would NEVER happen. DESIGN FLAW.
2. Trigger spring failure- the little spring just breaks. We would see about 1 of these per class. The Sigs use a stronger spring, I never heard of this happening with them. DESIGN FLAW.
3. trigger bar spring disengagement- this would occur usually if the operator replaced the stock grips with rubber panels. The rubber would contract from normal use and pop out the spring. DESIGN FLAWFor this reason I would never allow my guys to replace the grips, if they wanted rubber they would use bicycle inner tube
4. Magazine "lock"- if the operator removed the grips and neglected to replace 1 or more grip screw washers, the screw would go too far into the grip and the mag would lock in and not fall out. To prevent this I crazy glued the washers into the grips on my team. Yes. crazy glue. Operator error, but unfortunately not uncommon.
5. Location of safety/decocker- in the event of a malfunction, the slap-rack-squeeze drill would often result in a "dead man's gun". this is due to the operator's thumb or forfinger hitting the safety/decocker and placing the weapon on safe, so that when he went to re-engage the threat, he got nothing for his trouble. If the safety/decock was only a decock, (like on a 92G or a SIG) this wouldn't happen. DESIGN FLAW.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1. Locking block failure- I personally experienced this 3 times. During urban combat training (a 4 week program) we would typically have 3-5 of these things happen out of about 60 pistols. If a pistol was used that didn't have a locking block, this would NEVER happen. DESIGN FLAW.
2. Trigger spring failure- the little spring just breaks. We would see about 1 of these per class. The Sigs use a stronger spring, I never heard of this happening with them. DESIGN FLAW.
3. trigger bar spring disengagement- this would occur usually if the operator replaced the stock grips with rubber panels. The rubber would contract from normal use and pop out the spring. DESIGN FLAWFor this reason I would never allow my guys to replace the grips, if they wanted rubber they would use bicycle inner tube
4. Magazine "lock"- if the operator removed the grips and neglected to replace 1 or more grip screw washers, the screw would go too far into the grip and the mag would lock in and not fall out. To prevent this I crazy glued the washers into the grips on my team. Yes. crazy glue. Operator error, but unfortunately not uncommon.
5. Location of safety/decocker- in the event of a malfunction, the slap-rack-squeeze drill would often result in a "dead man's gun". this is due to the operator's thumb or forfinger hitting the safety/decocker and placing the weapon on safe, so that when he went to re-engage the threat, he got nothing for his trouble. If the safety/decock was only a decock, (like on a 92G or a SIG) this wouldn't happen. DESIGN FLAW.
View Quote

you had three locking block failures?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like both. I tend to shoot Sigs better than Berettas so I'd choose the Sig most likely.

However I believe they're both quality handguns and would be comfortable with either.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had one guy on my 8 man shooting team suffer 3 locking block failures.  3 guys experienced 2.  I have experienced 1.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have had one guy on my 8 man shooting team suffer 3 locking block failures.  3 guys experienced 2.  I have experienced 1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange, my 1990 INOX 92FS is still running on the original Gen 1 locking block and it has a lot of rounds through it. I have replaced the recoil spring as recommended by Beretta from day 1, though. I do not doubt that you have had broken locking blocks, but am curious if these pistols were maintained correctly? Failure to replace the recoil spring is typically a primary cause for premature block failure, aside from not changing out the locking block at the recommended round count.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Sig but ditch the E2 grip and buy some Hogue G10s

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Sig, because of where the safety is on the Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't really like hammer guns, but if I did I would go for ANY sig over a 92. The SEALS have been using the 226 forever. I was in SF when the M9 was the only option, and it was the most broken weapon in the inventory. Even when they work as advertised, that gun is full of design flaws.
View Quote

SF prob maintains their handguns with regular maintenance tho.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I like both, but prefer SIG.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here..
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:Based on human nature.

Everyone hated the M1911A1 too before the beretta switch.
View Quote

I guess that's why AR15's are so unpopular then...
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Hi-power
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Based on human nature.

Everyone hated the M1911A1 too before the beretta switch.

Soldiers can't seen to shut up about how much the m4 "sucks" and we "need" something better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#33]
At one time I owned a 92a1 , shot pretty well - decent trigger ( I even did the D spring upgrade for better double action pull )

While I still owned it , I was able to shoot a Sig P226 Elite Dark with the super thin aluminum grips and the SRT trigger , plus the adjustable night sights .
I ended up selling my 92a1

Bought the P226 Elite Dark ( Threaded barrel model ) and I have really grown to like it .
Trigger has a nice short reset , crisp single action and a nice smooth double action trigger press
Better grip with easier to reach controls
More accurate
Better sight picture

I keep saying that I will end up with another Sig
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Sig is what I voted but Glock 34 is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a P226 Elite Dark. Shot it suppressed. Picked up Sig 1911 fullsize and carry in tacops flavor. Shoot both suppressed.

Sold my Beretta 92A1, Rock Island 2011 tactical and Rock Island Commander.

Considered the whole deal a huge upgrade.

Sig > Beretta

A note about my decision - I had been shooting the 92A1 for several years. Had the 92A1 and P226 elite dark for about a 1 year overlap. The Sig started to see a lot more time on target than the Beretta. Eventually the Beretta stopped coming to the range and I sold it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#36]
The poll is about the 92A1. Not the M9. The 92A1 fixed the sight issue. It has dovetailed front and rear sights so there are other sight options if you don't like the factory 3 dot. It also has the latest design locking block which doesn't have the issues the early ones do.

I've had both. Carried a 226E2 for work for years (and still carry a 229R). I voted 92A1. I shoot it much better and much faster than my 226E2.  We've had serious QC issues with our brand new 226Rs.

I'd carry my 92A1 in a heartbeat if I was allowed. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that when they reprofiled the area around the dustcover and rail, they made it so it won't fit most of the other Beretta holsters.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I would prefer the Beretta. I am faster, and more accurate with it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#38]
You forgot the pie option for the poll.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:58:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Both are good guns. I own both a Beretta 92FS and Sig 226. Most people seem to like the Sig 226 better since the grip size is smaller. I have larger hands and prefer the Beretta. I would pick them up and see what feels better to you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The Beretta is a heavy, poorly designed, POS.
View Quote

So much silliness there I just don't know where to begin...................  
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Other than the sights being too small,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Other than the sights being too small,

I've used my 92FS for years in USPSA, 3 Gun & steel plate matches. I wear glasses & have never had an issue with the 92 sights.  

the grip too big,

For people with small hands, perhaps.

trigger sucking,

Doesn't suck anywhere near the class of suck the Sig triggers do. And yes, I own a Sig P-226. The 92 trigger can be 200% improved with $20-30 worth of springs. The Sigs will always suck.  

and the locking blocks breaking,

I've shot thousands of rds thru my 92FS & still have the original locking block. Unlike some idiots, *I* replace my recoil spring in a timely fashion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or are you saying the modern 92FS (designed to fix the rare locking block issues) still has locking block issues?
View Quote

Actually the FS design had nothing to do with the locking block. The FS was to fix the supposedly "slide breakage" issue the Navy SEALs had using +P ammo with thousands of rds thru a single gun in a short period of time.

The locking block "fix" came well into the FS life span.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#44]
This.............I like my 92A1, but the SIG is nice as well

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Shot and qualified with both. I would pick the Sig if I had to chose between the 2.

With that in mind, I would take a Glock 17 over both for many reasons:
1. No DS/SA crap. Same trigger pull every time
2. much more reliable
3. cheaper
4. more ammo capacity (17 to 33)
5. lighter
6. can be broken down to every little part and cleaned
7. Much easier to change out parts
8. more aftermarket parts
9. full auto if you're allowed to have it
10. doesn't rust and pit as easy
11. no safety to remember

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

And I have quite a bit of time with both.

Make the Beretta a G, and it pulls ahead.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Other than the sights being too small, the grip too big, trigger sucking, and the locking blocks breaking, the M9 is a great pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep hate the M9

Good God
Where do theses people come from??

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have both and I agree.  The trigger pull on my Beretta is actually better than on my Mk-25.  D-spring on the Beretta and the reduced hammer spring on the Sig.  My nod would go to the Sig just for the ability to use night sights.  Accuracy, dependability, mag availability are all equal.  Price is different but I already bought them...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone saying the Beretta triggers sucks is out of his mind.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Everyone knows someone who has broken fourteen locking blocks leaving them dead in a gunfight.

But nobody has actually broken their own locking block.

Just like all those SEALs with Beretta Slides permanently implanted into their maxillary bones.

Much ado........
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:48:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I have one 92fsb and 14 sigs
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top