Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 12:36:10 AM EDT
I will be cutting my own. What brand will be good for using on the pistol grip and high temp.?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#1]
3M anti skid tape.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You are over thinking this.  It is just skateboard grip tape. Any brand will work fine.

To apply, I'd suggest making a template out of masking tape.  Place masking tape on grip where tape will be applied (use multiple pieces to keep it from wrinkling).  Mark and cut where you want it.  Once you have it like you want, you have an adhesive template to use to cut out the grip tape.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever you can find at the hardware store or skateboard shop.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the stair tape from Lowes or Home depot.
Heavier duty stuff that holds better than actual skateboard tape.
I cut it with round end and sand the edges smooth so it's less likely to catch a corner & peel off.

Like so.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I googled local skate shops, went into one and asked if they had any scraps.  They dug out about a 10" x10" piece they had just tossed in the trash.  Free and enough to do many things with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I googled local skate shops, went into one and asked if they had any scraps.  They dug out about a 10" x10" piece they had just tossed in the trash.  Free and enough to do many things with.
View Quote

Yep

Guys were super helpful at a skateboard shop I went to. Didn't charge me a dime either. I replace when necessary. Honestly the tape gets smooth before itll peel off IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Ditto, I just went to a skate shop and bought a roll for 5 bucks, It'll probably last me a few years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never used grip on a firearm before, only skateboards.

but, I'd think Jessup or Mini-logo.  Those are going to be thinner and less coarse than a lot of others
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:11:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I used 3M tape and it came loose in the heat.

Will skateboard tape hold better?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you clean the frame with alcohol first? I've seen tape survive some serious abuse if the area was prepped beforehand.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
These days I just use stair tape on things like my magwells.   Use a good degreaser like Simple Green, round off the corners of the tape, and it should stay on indefinitely.  For frontstraps, leave enough to wrap under the grips.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These days I just use stair tape on things like my magwells.   Use a good degreaser like Simple Green, round off the corners of the tape, and it should stay on indefinitely.  For frontstraps, leave enough to wrap under the grips.

View Quote

That is a great pic

makes me wanna shoot IPSC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/sv-stipple1_zpsaf64b9b0.jpg
View Quote

Your pictures are going to end up costing me a lot of money one of these days...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I just don't think it's needed, learn to shoot the pistol.......but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just don't think it's needed, learn to shoot the pistol.......but that's just me.
View Quote

Are you implying that using grip tape means you don't know how to shoot a pistol and is somehow a crutch?

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you implying that using grip tape means you don't know how to shoot a pistol and is somehow a crutch?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you and understand. Also understand this. Some manufacturers make some really great guns but the grip sometimes leaves something to be desired. Modifying is big business. Besides it's literally Un-American not to try and improve on something. The firearms industry is one of the last bastions where this can happen.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Stair/skateboard tape has been proven effective in pistol competition shooting, including by my own "hands on" testing.  

I like Tru Grip but sometimes just cutting pieces off of the Tru Grip shape,
or cutting it to my own shape preference.  Or just 3M stair tape from Lowe's.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yep

Guys were super helpful at a skateboard shop I went to. Didn't charge me a dime either. I replace when necessary. Honestly the tape gets smooth before itll peel off IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep

Gonna have to try this as they are everywhere here.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:09:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Did you clean the frame with alcohol first? I've seen tape survive some serious abuse if the area was prepped beforehand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did !

In the summer, as the frame would heat up, the tape would start to slip as the glue sort of melted.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Two other methods to get traction....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brownells 20LPI checkering file....

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#21]
While the examples above look awesome, my free skate tape works well on the frontstrap of my 1911's.
It has held-up through summer heat and humidity with no slipping. I cut it long enough to go under the grips and I think that has helped. I also used alcohol to ensure there was no oil or grease on the metal before applying the tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top