Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought an M&P40c with storm lake 9mm conversion barrel together for $350 in a private sale. If you factor that the barrel is $118 from midwayusa I paid $232 for a like new M&P40c.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Canik, S&W VE, Keltec, Ruger SR9e, the Kahr CW/CM series are around that price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was my money, Canik 55 TP9 or SW SD9VE
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Bersa Thunder .380. I paid $300 for mine new last summer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CZ 82.
View Quote

This.

Might want to add in the various flavors of Tokarevs and the CZ52.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
ARCUS 98DAC - (the DA"C" used standard BHP mags). They usually retail for ~$300. All steel construction, double-action design that otherwise borrows a lot from the BHP but NO mag safety. The trigger is a little mushy but certainly usable. I have one with several thousand rounds flawlessly run through it. I use it mostly as a loaner gun for new shooters I take to the range. It has been dropped numerous times, rained-on, carried in the freeze of Winter and sat in a 120 degree car in the middle of July. It eats and shits anything I feed it from +p defensive hollow-points to anemic WWB and cheap steel-cased Russian.

The only down side may be the lack of replacement parts. My understanding is that springs and a few other items can be modified from BHP parts but I know the double-action components and the grips are unique to this gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have many pistols, from upper end to cheap bang around range toys. Last December.  I bought a SAR B6P and could not be happier. It does what all my high end 9mms do, but less than half the cost. It is reliable and accurate and eats any ammo I use in it. It is now my nightstand gun (yes- I do bet my life on it). Bought it for $250 plus transfer fee!. Basic CZ75 style 9MM, it's got my respect and vote.

As one poster above said, search the  internet for reviews and you will not find anything bad.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger 9E. No frills SR9. No LCI, no hard case, one magazine I believe, less machining done on the slide brings the MSRP down to 429, which is what I bought my SR9c for. So street price is probably around 329.....it kind of replaces the P95 as their budget gun.

Or a makarov
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
trade in gen3 glocks $250-300+xfer fee all day, jump on them when available.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
To answer the question why would you buy a $300 pistol and would you trust your life to it? Well when you find a "cheap" reliable hundgun then you can spend more on ammo to train and use, which
is what anyone should be doing reguarding the cost of your handgun. I have a P95 that is stone cold reliable and I do trust this handgun with my life and that of my family.

Other posters have given a decent list of affordable handguns that are reliable and will give good service.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
trade in gen3 glocks $250-300+xfer fee all day, jump on them when available.
View Quote

"All day" and "when you can find them" = good luck/don't hold your breath
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
A Makarov or CZ82 make decent "hideaway/stash" guns.

I have not seen them lately, but a few years ago there were tons of Walther P1/P38's on the market for less than $300. They are reliable and pleasant to shoot.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I love my P1, but you must understand a few things about it.

NO +P ever.

Probably won't cycle JHPs.  

Designed for standard pressure 124gr. ball ammo.

Overly complicated internals befitting it's 1930's design.

Low capacity for it's size.

Low round count life span.

Not gonna find one for $300 any more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are actually.  And if you get tired of the trigger, the Apex upgrade is pretty cheap (and awesome).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smith and Wesson SD9VE are pretty decent guns.

They are actually.  And if you get tired of the trigger, the Apex upgrade is pretty cheap (and awesome).

If my LGS ever puts them on sale in the $279-299 range again, I'll likely pick one up. It is surprisingly one of the most comfortable handguns with regards to ergos I've ever held. The trigger on the one at the rental range wasn't all that hateful either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The Arcus 98 is a fantastic gun .  $269 at J&G sales .

Quoted:
ck out jg sales the arcus 9mm heavy but accurate they call it the poor mans highpower.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Canik, Tri-Star, Witness are great for the money and big plus one on the Arcus one post above.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love my P1, but you must understand a few things about it.

NO +P ever.

Probably won't cycle JHPs.  

Designed for standard pressure 124gr. ball ammo.

Overly complicated internals befitting it's 1930's design.

Low capacity for it's size.

Low round count life span.

Not gonna find one for $300 any more.
View Quote
Isn't the 9mm NATO load somewhat close to +P in pressure? I would think being the sidearm of the German military during the cold war it would have been used with standard NATO ammo. Even most Euro 9mm I have shot like S&B, Geco/RWS, and Italian-made Fiocchi seem on the hot side compared to the domestic 9mm like WWB, UMC, or American Eagle.

If I were to shoot HP out of a P1/P38 I would definitely test several types for reliability. I think something like the critical duty/defense with the more pointed profile would feed better than a blunt, wide open HP.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Taurus millennium 9mm that is good to go. <$300
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The P1 is a 1930s design, as I said.   There was no 9mm NATO loading in the late 30s when the pistol was first adopted as the P.38, with a steel frame.   The P1 has an aluminum frame.

The Bundeswehr had an aggressive maintenance schedule for the P1s.  The later versions with the steel hex pin in the frame are a direct result of the pistols cracking and beating up their frames
from being fired with 9mm NATO ammo.  Also the so called "fat slide" P1s are also a result of this design cracking slides because of hot ammo and high round counts.

If you want to keep your P1/P38 alive for a long time, stick with standard pressure ammo no heavier than 124 gr.

Personally I stick with 115s in my P1.  It's a collector's piece now, not an every day, knock around pistol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#20]
No, unless it is a very used beat up pistol. This is JMHO
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
My only objection to some of these cheap Turkish pistols is the availability of extra magazines.

I have seen Canik TP9 magazines  at apexgunpatrs.com but guess my google-fu is weak in fibding the others. I did see a TriStar T120 at Academy for ~$300,  but they didn't have spare mags listed in their system.

If some has those links to the mags, I'm sure that it would be appreciated.

Personally. I'm getting a S&W SD that Academy has for $299 and put the Apex trigger kit in it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The P1 is a 1930s design, as I said.   There was no 9mm NATO loading in the late 30s when the pistol was first adopted as the P.38, with a steel frame.   The P1 has an aluminum frame.

The Bundeswehr had an aggressive maintenance schedule for the P1s.  The later versions with the steel hex pin in the frame are a direct result of the pistols cracking and beating up their frames

from being fired with 9mm NATO ammo.  Also the so called "fat slide" P1s are also a result of this design cracking slides because of hot ammo and high round counts.

If you want to keep your P1/P38 alive for a long time, stick with standard pressure ammo no heavier than 124 gr.

Personally I stick with 115s in my P1.  It's a collector's piece now, not an every day, knock around pistol.
View Quote
Mine's one of the ones with the hex pin. I just shoot 115 out of it too when I take it to the range, but I actually like my Star Model B(another cheap mil-surp from a few years ago) for fun blasting.

I also have an all original, 100% matching & non-import marked, Walther AC41 P.38 with the early features and high polish blue.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Look for a mke 92. A beretta 92 clone. They were 299 new when they were imported and are superior quality and parts/mags berretta compatible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My P1, with hex pin...

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Canik 55 Stingray (CZ-75 clone) would be a decent choice for $300.
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ruger p95. 300 almost exactly. and flawlessly reliable. also works as hammer, boat anchor, and door stop. and it still looks as pretty.(lol, but it WILL go bang every time)
View Quote

Another plus for the Ruger
I had one for years - still wish I had it would make a great glovebox gun for emergency
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My only objection to some of these cheap Turkish pistols is the availability of extra magazines.

I have seen Canik TP9 magazines  at apexgunpatrs.com but guess my google-fu is weak in fibding the others. I did see a TriStar T120 at Academy for ~$300,  but they didn't have spare mags listed in their system.

Personally. I'm getting a S&W SD that Academy has for $299 and put the Apex trigger kit in it.
View Quote

AFAIK, they take standard CZ-75 compact mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen Canik TP9 magazines  at apexgunparts.com but guess my google-fu is weak in fibding the others. I did see a TriStar T120 at Academy for ~$300,  but they didn't have spare mags listed in their system.
 I've seen a lot of references that Mec-Gar makes the mags but never have seen them listed or a compatibility cross reference published.

ETA:> highlighting done later just to get the formatting codes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Canik 55 Stingray (CZ-75 clone) would be a decent choice for $300.
View Quote
This way before the sigma/SD.  Having shot every generation of the sigma I'd take my chances with a sharp stick...

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#30]
3rd gen S&W. 5906, 3913, etc.
Hell of a gun for only 300$.  Artificially low pricing right now due to police surplus as departments switch out to polymer framed pistols.  In a few years you won't be able to find them near this pricing and people will be kicking themselves for not jumping on 2-3 of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hell of a gun for only 300$.  Artificially low pricing right now due to police surplus as departments switch out to polymer framed pistols.  In a few years you won't be able to find them near this pricing and people will be kicking themselves for not jumping on 2-3 of them.
View Quote

+100,  5906 is all SS and you can get one with adjustable rear sights.  Mine will shoot anything, cast bullets, reloads, never jams and after 22 years and thousands of rounds it has never let me down.  

Bet S&W couldn't build this gun again and sell it for less than $800.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

+100,  5906 is all SS and you can get one with adjustable rear sights.  Mine will shoot anything, cast bullets, reloads, never jams and after 22 years and thousands of rounds it has never let me down.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen a 3rd gen Smith that cheap for 3 years. Where are you finding them for $300?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:24:13 PM EDT
[#33]
The two I saw at a gun show last spring were both over $450...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#34]
SD9VE
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]
At one time, I would have said Bersa Thunder 9 Pro.

Ambidextrous everything, reinforced firing pin, loaded chamber indicator, 17+1 capacity.  Works with every ammo I've tried and goes bang every time.

I got mine for right around $300 a few years back.  Now, they're high $300 low $400 range.

Reminds me of CZ back in the 80's and 90's.  When people started realizing they were inexpensive instead of cheap, the prices started going up.

EDIT: Depends on what you mean by "acceptable".  There's also the Zastava M70A 9mm Tokarev.  Modern hammer block safety.  Very reliable with ball and HP ammunition, +P rated.

But, the sights are meh, the ergonomics are meh, the finish is meh, the C clip takedown is positively wacky on a gun manufactured in 2014. But, if all you have is less than $300 and you are buying new, it's out there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

a lot of turkish pistols are cz clones and use cz75 mags.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I haven't seen a 3rd gen Smith that cheap for 3 years. Where are you finding them for $300?
View Quote

Summit Gun Broker has some 4006's for $325. That's close.

Here's some $300 and under handguns:

$260 on GB

$250 from a friend (this got traded for the model 13 below)

$300 in this one (the 669 above and $50)

$300 from a coworker (something like 500 of these made)

$300 from a friend for the Gen 3 19 and less than $300 from another Arfcommer for the Gen 2 23 once I sold all of the mags that it came with.

So they're out there. I'd carry all of the guns above and rely on them for self defense.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Sure, there are deals to be had if your VERY VERY patient. But I have only bought 1 Glock 9mm for less than $375 in all my years. That was just recently
and it was a 2nd gen 19 for $250.

As far as being able to walk into the corner gun shop, log in to gun broker or crack a distributor catalog, Pickens are slim.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sure, there are deals to be had if your VERY VERY patient. But I have only bought 1 Glock 9mm for less than $375 in all my years. That was just recently
and it was a 2nd gen 19 for $250.

As far as being able to walk into the corner gun shop, log in to gun broker or crack a distributor catalog, Pickens are slim.
View Quote

I get what you're saying. A lot of times it comes down to having the money when the right deal rolls around. I also have a friend that feeds me deals every now and then.

The 4046 that I got off of gunbroker for $260 came within a day or two of looking for the first time and it was the first one that I bid on.

ETA: FWIW I just found a 4043 trade in from the Memphis PD for $325 BIN. It took about 5 minutes of searching.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I am also no longer interested in .40s and I don't recommend them to people looking to purchase there first handgun. Never the less, it's a good piece of kit for the money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I like my PF-9. Only issue I've had with it was with some old ass steel cased ammo I've never heard of before. Got it from my brother's boss for a birthday a few years ago. Case expanded so much after firing it would not extract. Cycled through a Glock 19 fine, but smoky as hell.

Good pistol to keep in the truck, or a BUG if I feel the need to carry a pocket gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Used S&W 3rd Gens are your best bet.  Built like a tank and VERY high quality.  The aluminum framed variants carry well.

Used Glock 22/23

FEG Hi Power clone.

As for new, S&W SD, and later Sigmas are good cheap gun.  But not the most forgiving and you will fight the trigger.  Utterly functional though.

Ruger 9E.

View Quote

Great pistols. One of the greatest in my opinion for rugged but refined, comfortable ergonomics, extremely reliable. The problem is I can't find them for less than mid $400's and more likely over $500 each. Can you PM me a link to $300 price ranged 3rd Gen's please???
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The SD9 or one of these.

M&P 40 Used Summit Gunbroker
View Quote

My M&P.40 mid-size, with the Apex competition sear, RAM, and USB... it's the most solid and reliable polymer pistol I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Great pistols. One of the greatest in my opinion for rugged but refined, comfortable ergonomics, extremely reliable. The problem is I can't find them for less than mid $400's and more likely over $500 each. Can you PM me a link to $300 price ranged 3rd Gen's please???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Used S&W 3rd Gens are your best bet.  Built like a tank and VERY high quality.  The aluminum framed variants carry well.

Used Glock 22/23

FEG Hi Power clone.

As for new, S&W SD, and later Sigmas are good cheap gun.  But not the most forgiving and you will fight the trigger.  Utterly functional though.

Ruger 9E.

[Genie] Your Wish is Granted....      [/Genie]

Link to S&W 3rd Gen for $300.00  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Smith and Wesson SD9VE are pretty decent guns.

There's this too...

Say what you will about the Taurus, but I've had one that was dead nuts reliable and family who has had no issues either.
View Quote

I came here to post this. I had one. It ate my love handles up for concealed carry...but otherwise, it was the best feeling pistol I've ever owned. I paid $325 for mine when they first came out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used Glock 22/23

FEG Hi Power clone.

Ruger 9E.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Thats a great deal.

You guys in the market, jump on that and don't look back.

Those guns will NOT get any cheaper in the future.

Oh yeah, the short trigger reset, really allows you to rip it in rapid fire.  Shorter reset than a Glock.  More like a 1911.

5903 = Steel slide / Aluminum Alloy frame

5906 = Steel slide/Steel frame.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Message sent to TriStar using Contact URL of http://www.tristararms.com/contact-tristar.php

Your pistols were mentioned in this thread on AR15.com several times:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/152767_Is_there_an_acceptable__300_pistol_.html

And would like to know how you handle requests for extra / replacement magazines? Is there a cross walk you have for your pistols to other models that use the same magazine? Is there a company that makes your magazines that we could contact? Is so, is there a cross walk of model to part number?

The lack of extra magazines is the only reason I didn't buy a T120 at Academy Sports the other night. I'm sure that there are others at AR15.com that have the same opinion.
View Quote

I'll post their reply
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 I've seen a lot of references that Mec-Gar makes the mags but never have seen them listed or a compatbility cross reference published.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen Canik TP9 magazines  at apexgunparts.com but guess my google-fu is weak in fibding the others. I did see a TriStar T120 at Academy for ~$300,  but they didn't have spare mags listed in their system.

I've seen a lot of references that Mec-Gar makes the mags but never have seen them listed or a compatbility cross reference published.

Called TriStar ( (816) 421-1400 ) and Mark stated that they have extra magazines. He's going to forward an email with the pricing on it. The T120 mags are 17 rounds = $33 and $19 = $40. He said that to get mags you have to call them and they will do it over the phone with your credit card #.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Nm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Email sent from TriStar to me:

All TriStar pistol magazines can be purchased directly from us. All 100 series pistol magazines are $30 each as they will hold 15 rounds. The 17 round 120 series pistol magazines are $33.50 and the 19 round 120 series pistol magazines are $40.00. All orders must be placed by phone and we can be contacted at 816-421-1400.

TriStar Arms
PH: 816-421-1400
Fax: 816-421-4182
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top