Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
So you are basically asking 9 vs 40 vs 45?  It really comes down to personal preference.  My first gun was a Glock 21sf, and it is still my nightstand gun.  I have gone to 9mm shooting for the most part nowadays however.  If I ever got a light for my 9mm USP, it would probably replace my Glock 21sf in my nightstand.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was a cop I carried a G17, G22 and G20. I'd go G17 since it holds more rounds and 33rd mags sure are handy.
View Quote

I have to ask: handy for what?  Or are you just talking about plinking?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking here.

If you were a cop and could carry WHATEVER duty pistol and caliber you wanted what would you go with and why? (Within reason here folks, hi-point ain't reasonable, neither is an AR pistol).

I am between:
Glock 17 mainly for good capacity
Glock 22 .40 for barriers
Glock 21 cause I like .45

I choose Glock because that's what I shoot best and like a consistent trigger pull with no manual safety.

Edit to add: my choices are irrelevant. I want to know what you would carry not just from those guns!
View Quote

When I was in Patrol, I carried a G21 & didn't regret it.  Part of one's choice is Dept policy regarding caliber (& allowable firearms).  That aside, I chose a .45 (The Glock 21, though I tried out the then new HK USP 45 & a Sig P220).  When I got off Patrol, I switched to a 9mm (Glock 26) as I needed/wanted compactness & capacity.  While I could have carried/used .40, I never did.  I always felt that I might as well have as much capacity as possible or the largest bullet (Allowable by my Dept).

Any of them will work (I'm talking mainly about 9mm, .40, & .45, though .357 Sig & 10mm is considered, too).  Of the big 3 (9mm, .40, & .45),  I've seen all 3 fail & work.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock 22, the 22 round mags are a lot easier to carry then the 9mm 33 round mags.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I am a cop who chooses his own weapon, and i currently carry a Glock 34 with Hienie night sights and a TLR-1. However, I am restricted to either 9mm or .40.

Had I my choice, I would carry my old Springfield Armory full-rail 1911, which I was forced to sell some years ago. Springfield frame, slide, and barrel, and all Ed Brown internals.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock 22 is issued, I usually carry a personal purchase Glock 27 though.  We have the option to get that or a 23, but no other approved alternatives.  If I had a choice, I would probably carry a CZ75.  Nothing against the Glocks though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd like to save SP-01 with an x300 but realistically it would be a G17 with x300

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Glock 17
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So you are basically asking 9 vs 40 vs 45?  It really comes down to personal preference.  My first gun was a Glock 21sf, and it is still my nightstand gun.  I have gone to 9mm shooting for the most part nowadays however.  If I ever got a light for my 9mm USP, it would probably replace my Glock 21sf in my nightstand.
View Quote

I am actually less interested in caliber and more interested in pistol choice. I chose full size glock but don't really care which caliber. There are advantages/disadvantages to all IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#10]
All local pd here carry glock 21's with the local sheriff dpt carrying glock 22's
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Full size M&P
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
In city - Glock 17

Rural Deputy - Glock 20
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
G17

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was cop, several years ago, we could also choose our own guns (within reason).  My first gun was a S&W 59 9mm because I got it cheap from another officer and it was what I could afford at the time.  Turns out it was a fantastic pistol and I loved it.  However, this was during the big migration from 9mm to .40's and .45's so I eventually sold the Model 59 and switched to a Glock 21 .45acp.  That Glock was a great gun, I loved and it and I was extremely accurate with it.  Perfectly reliable, accurate, powerful and comfortable (after adding a Hogue rubber grip sleeve), what else could you want?  I kept it for years after leaving the LE business and own one today (not the same one).  If I were to badge up again, I would most likely carry my Glock 21 even today.

The only gun that might take the G21's place would be an M&P45.  I have a M&P40 and it is a fantastic gun (minus the terrible trigger but they come with better triggers now), pretty much everything I loved about Glock but with an actual comfortable grip.  I've yet to actually have a M&P45 to lay hands on and shoot but if they are as good as the M&P40, I may very well choose a M&P45 over the G21.  I wouldn't mind a bit carrying my STI Elektra .45acp...it's 100% reliable, extremely accurate, very comfortable but I'm a firm believer in high capacity guns for LE use, otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to carry my 1911.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
We switched from G23's to M&P45's. They both have their pros and cons, but I prefer the 45.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Glock 35 or MP Pro .40 depending on whats more common with your agency/what the issued weapon is. Also if your agency issues a certain brand of ammo for free might be smarter to go with that caliber.

There are literally no advantages to going to a MP or 17/22 sized pistol as opposed to the 34/35 or MP Pro size. For one if you work nights you'll probably want/need a weapon light. And in that case you have the length of the 5" barrel but none of the sight radius. (Which is huge)

Actually .40 is superior to 9 for LE because of the higher chance you'll have to shoot through barriers/glass.  You have to remember from a SD POV a handgun is for that, self defense. In LE you might have to actually use your HG offensively. Which can include shooting through windows of stores/houses, shooting through car windows at a suspect driving at you, or perhaps away with a hostage/ abducted person in the car, etc.

Essentially yeah, I agree 9mm is superior in a lot of ways. But .40 tends to do those types of things better. Not all LE shootings are text book. In the last 3 years we've had 5 officer involved shootings with an officer shooting a suspect in a vehicle and maybe 3-4 more cases where the officer should have/could have engaged a suspect in a vehicle but didn't due to being uncomfortable with the shot. Also we've had 1 more where the officer put rounds through a barrier to put the suspect down.

Sure, your more likely to have to engage someone up close and personal without them being behind glass/cover.... But on the same token having to shoot through glass/barriers is pretty frequent as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Glock 35 or MP Pro .40 depending on whats more common with your agency/what the issued weapon is. Also if your agency issues a certain brand of ammo for free might be smarter to go with that caliber.

There are literally no advantages to going to a MP or 17/22 sized pistol as opposed to the 34/35 or MP Pro size. For one if you work nights you'll probably want/need a weapon light. And in that case you have the length of the 5" barrel but none of the sight radius. (Which is huge)

Quoted:
G17.

Why, because ballistically its almost identical to the other two if your department chooses a good round, it recoils less, has more capacity.

Easier to shoot one handed if you get injured as well.  My split times have always been faster with 9mm vs .40.

I carry an M&P9 vs a 40 or .45 for the same reasons.......and I have TTI extensions on my reloads.  More ammo= better.

Actually .40 is superior to 9 for LE because of the higher chance you'll have to shoot through barriers/glass.  You have to remember from a SD POV a handgun is for that, self defense. In LE you might have to actually use your HG offensively. Which can include shooting through windows of stores/houses, shooting through car windows at a suspect driving at you, or perhaps away with a hostage/ abducted person in the car, etc.

Essentially yeah, I agree 9mm is superior in a lot of ways. But .40 tends to do those types of things better. Not all LE shootings are text book. In the last 3 years we've had 5 officer involved shootings with an officer shooting a suspect in a vehicle and maybe 3-4 more cases where the officer should have/could have engaged a suspect in a vehicle but didn't due to being uncomfortable with the shot. Also we've had 1 more where the officer put rounds through a barrier to put the suspect down.

Sure, your more likely to have to engage someone up close and personal without them being behind glass/cover.... But on the same token having to shoot through glass/barriers is pretty frequent as well.

Well said.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:57:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

G17
View Quote
+1 FPNI and all that.

I shoot my G17 very well and love the ergos of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#18]
STI 2011 in 9mm...
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]
G17
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]
modern bonded 9mm bullets perform very well.

Give me a G17 all day long.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 11:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
We carry the Glock 22.  I was issued a new Glock 22 Gen 4 and love it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
None of those choices as I am not a striker fired fan, I would personally choose a CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom or CZ 75 P09.
View Quote

I'm of the same opinion, but I'd go for a CZ P01 or P07.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I would be real tempted to chose a Glock 20sf.

1. I'm assuming that the dept would pay for ammo and practicing wouldn't cost anything.
2. get a badass 10mm.
3. same size gun as a 21sf.

What's not to like? While I haven't shot the 20sf yet, it's on my list as the very next purchase, that or the 29sf.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

1. I'm assuming that the dept would pay for ammo and practicing wouldn't cost anything.
2. get a badass 10mm.

What's not to like? While I haven't shot the 20sf yet, it's on my list as the very next purchase, that or the 29sf.
View Quote

The department pays for "practice" ammo? I don't know of any PD which gives their officers more than a box or two a year aside from what's required to qualify with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The department pays for "practice" ammo? I don't know of any PD which gives their officers more than a box or two a year aside from what's required to qualify with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

That's why I said "assuming". I'm not a cop so I have no idea if they pay for practice ammo. I reload so that's not much of a concern either way and another reason for me considering the 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's why I said "assuming". I'm not a cop so I have no idea if they pay for practice ammo. I reload so that's not much of a concern either way and another reason for me considering the 10mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

No, very few agencies pay for any ammo aside from the agency mandated qualification. The first department I worked for issued you a box of duty ammo to fill your mags. The next year at quals, you started by shooting your old duty ammo for your first handgun 50-shot qualification, gave you one more box to run through the course again, then gave you one more box to load your mags until next year.

Rifle quals were even worse. 20 rounds per course per year, and you only had to qual once, not twice. Same for shotgun, but that was only 10 rounds of low recoil slugs per year.

Those are the state requirements and unless an agency has a training budget, which in today's economy very few do, that's all the department pays for. I'm an instructor and offered to train the officers for free and they said they couldn't afford any extra ammo aside from the state mandated training. I left that agency and now am the training officer for another town department who's Chief knows the value of having his officers well trained, and also has the support of the Selectboard who gives him an ammunition training budget yearly.

So, long story short, out of my former department of 20+/- officers, less than five of them shot on their own, and I was the ONLY one who did actual training. The others considered 100 or so rounds per year shooting at an empty soda can adequate training.

Aside from special teams, like SWAT, SRT, ERT, etc, the average patrol officer cannot shoot worth a crap. I've even trained with many special teams, and many of their officers don't shoot very well, either. One Federal agency that I've shot with more than any other is an exception to the rule. Air Marshals are overall very well trained and I've not encountered any who are poor shots. That agency, for a good reason, trains their Deputies extremely well. I can't imagine what their ammo budget per Deputy is annually, but it's money well spent.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Carried a sig 220 when I started because I wanted a 45 and it was a choice between that and a S&W...

Switched to a 40 cal G22 after 10 years. (issues with magazine springs on the Gen 3 but that was after 5 or so years of sitting in the safe)

Eventually switched back to 45 and got a G21...which pissed me off b/c they released the SF a few months later. So I sold the 21 to a buddy and got  the SF.

No plans to switch . Love it.

I have picked up a G27 for off duty and it is a great CCW piece which took over from my 5 shot s&w 642. After something like 17 years, I the 27 was finally something that I could carry comfortably concealed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

Our dept usually gives out a box a month or so for practice if it's requested. No written rule about it though.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
No, very few agencies pay for any ammo aside from the agency mandated qualification. The first department I worked for issued you a box of duty ammo to fill your mags. The next year at quals, you started by shooting your old duty ammo for your first handgun 50-shot qualification, gave you one more box to run through the course again, then gave you one more box to load your mags until next year.

Rifle quals were even worse. 20 rounds per course per year, and you only had to qual once, not twice. Same for shotgun, but that was only 10 rounds of low recoil slugs per year.

Those are the state requirements and unless an agency has a training budget, which in today's economy very few do, that's all the department pays for. I'm an instructor and offered to train the officers for free and they said they couldn't afford any extra ammo aside from the state mandated training. I left that agency and now am the training officer for another town department who's Chief knows the value of having his officers well trained, and also has the support of the Selectboard who gives him an ammunition training budget yearly.

So, long story short, out of my former department of 20+/- officers, less than five of them shot on their own, and I was the ONLY one who did actual training. The others considered 100 or so rounds per year shooting at an empty soda can adequate training.

Aside from special teams, like SWAT, SRT, ERT, etc, the average patrol officer cannot shoot worth a crap. I've even trained with many special teams, and many of their officers don't shoot very well, either. One Federal agency that I've shot with more than any other is an exception to the rule. Air Marshals are overall very well trained and I've not encountered any who are poor shots. That agency, for a good reason, trains their Deputies extremely well. I can't imagine what their ammo budget per Deputy is annually, but it's money well spent.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

This pick is old, but it's what we had left when our new shipment came in.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://www.hillierr.com/arfcom/ammo.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

My agency has likely never seen that much ammo through it's doors in the hundred plus years of it's existence.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

Yeah, the average cop is an average shot at best. I'm probably the best in my department (top 3 at least) and I consider myself just on the high side of average. We don't provide practice ammo or range time unless you are on the SWAT team and even then we shoot much less than we did 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably a G34...although I love my G21. I can see where extra rounds would be nice.

My department gives each officer 100rd a month for pistol, and usually 60rd for rifle as well as slugs and 00....that is assuming we have enough ammo in stock. We went through most of last year without being able to get any ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

The only place I've worked for that stocked that much ammo was when I did Nuclear Security!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 35 because I am not paying for the ammo so why not .40 .
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. get a badass 10mm.

We can pretty much get as much handgun ammo as we want.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#38]
As a Park Narc I'm as likely to shoot something large and furry as bad guys so something double-stack in .45ACP so I can have the bigger bullet with some capacity. I'd be lying, though, if I said I was looking into it. This being Canada, the odds of me being able to pick my sidearm are about even with winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#39]
glock 34
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Hypothetically speaking if I was a LEO, which I'm not.

duty would be an owb 17/26 bug, off duty iwb 19/reload

Ammo wise, if dept was paying the bill, corbon/HST/hydrashock 147 flavors

from ccw standpoint, caliber doesn't mean jack ie 10mm/.45 will disintegrate the threat like the movies.

Handgun Fundamentals, shot placement, training, mindset.

I carry a 19/17.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:17:01 AM EDT
[#41]
last issued weapon was a Glock 23.If I were in uniform it would be the Gen 4 Glock 22. The 40 has better barrier penetration over the 9 with adequate ammunition capacity over the 45. I personally like the texture on the 4th generation Glocks for the humid St. Louis summers when your hand gets sweaty. Also with all the other equipment carried the weight of the Glock is a plus over a steel full size weapon. Only changes on the weapon would be night sights and extended slide release.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Army for 4 years. Cop for 18 years. Department firearms instructor for 15.  My issued duty weapons thus far:

4 years....Beretta M9
6 years....G-22
6 years....G23 with G27
6 years....G21
Just switched to P227 Carry....Freaking LOVE it!  

What I've learned thus far:

.40 ain't what it's cracked up to be (over penetrates and very inconsistent expansion)
.45 is still devastating and it works
9mm has caught up thanks to better bullet design...incidentally I would choose a 9 over a 40 (Carry a Beretta 92 often off duty)
Glock quality and customer service is in decline (still love me a Glock though). Glock 23 was perfect size but G21 was best for duty carry.

Carry what you're confident in and practice....practice.....practice.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#43]
My partner  carriers a beretta 92 so that's what I went with. I like the all metal gun with a longer first pull of the trigger.
We are switching to glock 17s soon which I think will be a better duty gun.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Glock 22.
View Quote

Same here, I'm no cop but G22C is my EDC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#45]

I have no use for a .40 and if I"m doing a .45 it's gonna be a 1911. Glock was made for the 9mm
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I carry a G17 loaded with 147gr HST. If I was going to get a new handgun I would switch to a G34. My department is completely dropping .40. We just didn't see any reason to keep it over the 9. We had Federal come to our department and perform the ballistics tests for us between 9, .40, and 45. 9 and 45 are now our only approved duty calibers.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#47]
A 4" Model 19, w/ +p .38 Special ammo.  No question about it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
None of those choices as I am not a striker fired fan, I would personally choose a CZ 75 SP-01 Phantom or CZ 75 P09.
View Quote

P07 in my case, with P09 mags as backups
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#49]
I carry an issued P2000 in .40S&W but if I had my choice it would be either my Colt Rail Gun or my 5" Model 27-2 because I'm too cool for shit like capacity.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#50]
G 23 with tlr on and off duty unless its hot as balls.  Then the 27 gets the go
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top