Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/28/2014 2:44:53 PM EDT
I don't want to know why I shouldn't buy it; I already have several reasons why I shouldn't. I want to know why I should.

Thanks!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly can't think of a single reason
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
No, nobody.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you could buy it so cheap that you would still save money after buying a caliber conversion barrel.

or

so cheap that you could buy it and a couple hundred rounds of defensive ammunition to stash in a hidden cache buried somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#5]
And to think one of my threads was going to be "Whats the point of the Glock 37,38, or 39"

The only possible reason I could think of is you hate 1911s or you've bought all other glocks and want something different

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#6]
No reason at all unless, as mentioned, it was so cheap you could convert it into something else.  Or if you just want to buy a gun that people in 50 years will say "a .45GAP?? What is that?".
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Uhhhhh, dont. There isn't a single one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I could not justify the cost of ammo., let alone trying to find it. It was the answer to a problem that did not exist. Glock is now making slim frame models in 45 acp, which is what they should have done to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
There isn't a reason I can think of to buy something in .45 GAP. It's a completely pointless round, and the benefits that they touted when it came out are so miniscule that they just as well be nonexistent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The only way for me is if I was gifted about 1,500 rounds of GAP ammo and that is if at least 500 were JHP's.
One guy I Know offered to trade me 500 rounds of .357 SIG for 250 rounds of .40. I turned him down as I do not want to get into another caliber. That is that I can find .357 SIG at Academy Sports, but it is expensive. I am too heavily invested in 9MM.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
No...unless you can turn a profit on it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Ammo.  In the deepest, darkest days of the last panic .45 GAP was still on the shelves.  The key to "surviving" panic times is caliber diversity.

Or having the forethought to buy a good stash during the salad days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't think of a reason to buy one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#15]
As a glock fan I can't think of any reason to unless you want to own an example or every model.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Are they still being actively produced?

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Like someone said, if there's nothing on the shelves but special snowflake rounds like .45GAP, you won't be ENTIRELY screwed.

Then again, that's why I own a S&W 625. Shoots .45ACP, .45AutoRim, and .45GAP.

I've only ever fired .45ACP through it, but the hardware store has had a few boxes of .45GAP in the cabinet, unmoved, for 3 years. Didn't even move during the panic. It's a very small bit of comfort.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quite frankly, of all the different Glock models, I think the Glock Models 37, 38, & 39 have the greatest future investment value.  As prime candidates for one of tomorrow's curios and relics no other pistol even comes close!  If I were going to pick a pistol to buy now, hold onto for a decade or two, and then put up for sale as an unusual historical antique, it would be one of these odd-ball caliber Glock abortions.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are they still being actively produced?

View Quote

Yep

Link but still a possibility they did a limited line
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Did Glock think that other gun manufacturers would follow suit and produce guns in 45GAP?  This round just seems like a big fail.  Which begs the question, when will they stop making guns in 45GAP?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quite frankly, of all the different Glock models, I think the Glock Models 37, 38, & 39 have the greatest future investment value.  As prime candidates for one of tomorrow's curios and relics no other pistol even comes close!  If I were going to pick a pistol to buy now, hold onto for a decade or two, and then put up for sale as an unusual historical antique, it would be one of these odd-ball caliber Glock abortions.
View Quote

This is about the only thing that makes sense.  I think we have a winner.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did Glock think that other gun manufacturers would follow suit and produce guns in 45GAP?  This round just seems like a big fail.  Which begs the question, when will they stop making guns in 45GAP?

Thanks
View Quote

I think the story goes (and if im wrong someone correct me) Glock wanted to do the power of the .45 ACP but in the size of the 17/22 frame. Where it really came up short is the magazine size being 10 rounds, most likely leading to no one wanting it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the frame and mags aren't going to take a ACP round, so I don't know what you'd convert it to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

There was a GAP Springfield XD
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not on a gun that doesn't have a ready supply of new or surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think the story goes (and if im wrong someone correct me) Glock wanted to do the power of the .45 ACP but in the size of the 17/22 frame. Where it really came up short is the magazine size being 10 rounds, most likely leading to no one wanting it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

That and the giant slide.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#27]
I guess the OP and I are the only fans of the GAP. Not a problem.

I like being able to shoot a 45 bullet out of a small frame Glock. I can reload the GAP and have had no trouble finding factory practice ammo or hollow points for it. Some say just get a 1911, but the 37 can give me greater ammo capacity. The 1911 and I just never got along together. I also have a 21 and 21SF.

The brass and ammo are actually cheaper for me cause no one else wants it. If I use it at a match, the brass whores bring my brass back to me cause they can't use it and they know who shot it. I got a good deal on brass from a PD range officer in Florida through the Glocktalk website. 5000 rounds of brass for $200.00.

The majority of the parts for the 37 interchange with the other Glocks I have. Only a few don't and they are easy to find at various Glock parts websites.

I have enough brass, magazines and parts for my two 37's to last longer than I will.

That's the reasons I have that come to mind at the moment.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#28]
You want to dress up as PSP and get everything right.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#29]
If they would've used a 36 width slide, they would have sold like hotcakes.

Lets not forget, GAP is an AWB child. 10 rounds was all you could have.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#30]
If the ammunition is not normally available in commercial channels, does that make them antique?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I also thought the Glock 37 was introduced in the AWB in the 90's with the 10 round limit.  For reloaders and people with small hands the 45 GAP is a viable choice.  I know a Sheriff who carried a Glock 38 in civies and I'll admit it was nice shooting accurate pistol.  A friend and I found a new 37 cheap after they were released.  Money was tight so we went halves on the pistol just so we could play with it.  I really think the 37 was softer shooting than the Glock 22 with most ammo.  For people who like 45's it's still a 45 caliber bullet and Glock produce good velocity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't want to know why I shouldn't buy it; I already have several reasons why I shouldn't. I want to know why I should.

Thanks!

View Quote

You know not to buy it

stick with your gut.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
There's no reason to buy it, unless you want a .45 in a 'small' (now really their 'mid') framed Glock.

Like I did.

Then it's the only way to get a bullet that big in a gun with a grip that small, which was, by the way, its whole raison d' etre.

Larry
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I honestly can't think of a single reason
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Expensive to feed compared to the equally effective 9mm counterpart.

Don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#36]
If painting yourself into a corner is one of your favorite past times then I say do it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:21:49 AM EDT
[#37]
A very good reason to buy it is if you found VERY cheap range and defense ammo in copious supply.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:30:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll take incorrect for 1000 Alex.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Calibers I would consider before the .45 GAP:
.357 Sig
10 mm
.38 Super
9 x 23

I have seen a brand new in box G38 priced at $349 and it didn't move for 2 years.  I have seen piles of .45 GAP ammo collecting dust before the store owner sold the lot of dirt cheap to someone to get rid of it.  I have fired the G38 and I did like it, it's just not practical.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Do you reload?  If so, the GAP is a great way to get revenge on anyone who steels your brass.

-Deke
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly - go look at what a Walther PP in 9x18 Ultra is worth -

(Hint: Less than a PP or PPK in .380.)

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#42]
You should buy it just because everyone is telling you not too... Including me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:19:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:33:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I could not justify the cost of ammo., let alone trying to find it. It was the answer to a problem that did not exist. Glock is now making slim frame models in 45 acp, which is what they should have done to begin with.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, rarity alone generally does not generate value.  There almost always has to be some other factor such as historic significance to generate value.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote

You'll have all the ammo to yourself?  Aside from that i got nothin...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#47]
If you haven't already, satisfy your 45 jones with 30 series
30s, 30sf, or Gen 4s

Get some G21 13 rnd mags and you got firepower in a smallish package
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ammo.  In the deepest, darkest days of the last panic .45 GAP was still on the shelves.  The key to "surviving" panic times is caliber diversity.

Or having the forethought to buy a good stash during the salad days.
View Quote

This.

The local Cabelas had only 2 handgun calibers available during the height of the panic, 45 GAP and .327 Federal.

To the OP; Don't. Unless you insist on having an oddball caliber.

EDIT: grammar
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#49]
feels like a scaled up .380 ACP producing .45ACP non +p non special effects. I guess the idea is if the frame you are using is relatively small, there is an increment of advantage. Want a goofy cartridge that seems redundant but isn't? Go with a .50GI. That blows up watermelons really good without recoil to match. I think mechanically, the .50GI does everything the .45 GAP advertisers want you to think their round does.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I guess the OP and I are the only fans of the GAP. Not a problem.

I like being able to shoot a 45 bullet out of a small frame Glock. I can reload the GAP and have had no trouble finding factory practice ammo or hollow points for it. Some say just get a 1911, but the 37 can give me greater ammo capacity. The 1911 and I just never got along together. I also have a 21 and 21SF.

The brass and ammo are actually cheaper for me cause no one else wants it. If I use it at a match, the brass whores bring my brass back to me cause they can't use it and they know who shot it. I got a good deal on brass from a PD range officer in Florida through the Glocktalk website. 5000 rounds of brass for $200.00.

The majority of the parts for the 37 interchange with the other Glocks I have. Only a few don't and they are easy to find at various Glock parts websites.

I have enough brass, magazines and parts for my two 37's to last longer than I will.

That's the reasons I have that come to mind at the moment.

How do powder charges compare to comparable .45 acp loads? I assume lower, and higher pressure?

View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top