Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 8:35:05 PM EDT
I have a S&W 642 and would like some recommendations for an IWB holster.  Looking for zero cant that will work for appendix carry as well as 3 o'clock (well really 9 o'clock since I'm a lefty).

Also, what's the consensus on the Apex duty/carry spring kit?  Is it GTG for a carry gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#1]
look for something like a crossbreed supertuck, I use it for a PM45 strong side carry.  The 36 is used as a heavy pocket gun.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a S&W 642 and would like some recommendations for an IWB holster.  Looking for zero cant that will work for appendix carry as well as 3 o'clock (well really 9 o'clock since I'm a lefty).

Also, what's the consensus on the Apex duty/carry spring kit?  Is it GTG for a carry gun?

Thanks!
View Quote

I pocket carry my 642... so no good IWB ideas.

The Apex kit is GTG in mine... thoroughly test your carry ammo as it does reduce some spring power slightly.... one would hate to find out your carry choice has super hard primers or something.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#3]
As a left and former j-frame owner, I would recommend a holster from FIST.

The Apex kit is an unbelievable improvement over stock too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming!

I'll check out FIST, is there a particular model you recommend?  I don't think I want the Crossbread holster or one of the million knockoffs that use the giant slab of leather. Just looks like too much holster for such a small gun, and doesn't look good for AIWB.

Light strikes were my primary concern with the Apex kit. Has anyone with the kit had problems with light strikes? Are there certain primers to avoid if I install it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
J frames don't lead themselves to tweaking as well as their larger brothers.  The small parts need a pretty stout spring to get reliable ignition.  IF you can get reliable ignition, fine.  But don't be surprised if you get light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
SoCo kydex has a sweet looking 442/642 kydex holster

I prefer pocket carry in a Nemesis for my 442
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming!

I'll check out FIST, is there a particular model you recommend?  I don't think I want the Crossbread holster or one of the million knockoffs that use the giant slab of leather. Just looks like too much holster for such a small gun, and doesn't look good for AIWB.

Light strikes were my primary concern with the Apex kit. Has anyone with the kit had problems with light strikes? Are there certain primers to avoid if I install it?

Thanks
View Quote

I have the apex kit in mine as mentioned... Light strikes have not been an issue, but logic tells me that anytime I change springs in the ignition system I need to test it thoroughly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll second FIST holsters. They sometime get overlooked with all the hype from other makers, but I've had really good luck with FIST. They'll make holsters for obscure guns (my Colt Double Eagle ) that are off the radar for other holster companies.

For pocket carry I really like Robert Mika's offerings. One man shop with quick turnaround and good prices. I use one for my Model 38.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer Bianchi leather holsters.
I prefer to send my revolvers to S&W for an action job rather than replace springs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Just checked out the FIST site; it looks like maybe the #1 clip holster is along the lines of what I had in mind.  Is that the one I should go with if I choose a FIST?  How about all the various options they offer, should I choose any of them such as the partial or full reinforcement or tension screw?  

I was thinking I would go with a leather holster for the 642, just feels right to put a revolver in leather instead of kydex

Quoted:
I have the apex kit in mine as mentioned... Light strikes have not been an issue, but logic tells me that anytime I change springs in the ignition system I need to test it thoroughly.
View Quote

Agreed, I would certainly put quite a few rounds through it before trusting it.  I'm just curious if anyone has actually had any light strike (or other) issues with the Apex spring kit or have heard of any problems with it?  It's listed as a "duty/carry" kit and I've heard nothing but good things about their M&P kits.

I'm not looking for a competition trigger that only works with soft primers; reliability is of course priority #1.  I've always heard good things about Apex so if this kit still provides plenty of force to set off any primer then it would be nice to reduce the weight on my 642's trigger a bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with whatever model from FIST floats your boat. You can't go wrong with them.

I had an Apex kit in my last j-frame and never had problems with light strikes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Not that a snubbie can't be accurate ( I can ring a 100 yard gong consistently with mine) but trigger pull kits to lighten triggers are not where I would go on a j frame where going bang is to a more important since your likely ccw scenario is likely to be 15 feet or closer
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone tried the Galco Stow-N-Go holster?  I'm sure it's not as nice as the FIST, but cheaper and might be good enough for me.  The 642 isn't going to be my EDC, just occasional carry.  I see the Stow-N-Go has a clip for 1.75" belts, would it move around too much on a 1.5" belt?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#14]
DeSantis Inside Heat is a new model  molded leather holster that cost $35.

http://www.desantisholster.com/INSIDE-HEAT
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:25:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I usually use a leather OWB combat master/pancake style but I also have a Don Hume MSO that works fine.  They're really stiff initially but break in after a while.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:42:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Another positive result from Apex spring kit over here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not that a snubbie can't be accurate ( I can ring a 100 yard gong consistently with mine) but trigger pull kits to lighten triggers are not where I would go on a j frame where going bang is to a more important since your likely ccw scenario is likely to be 15 feet or closer
View Quote

Gong bang is always important in any defensive situation involving a gun.

AR -15's, shotty's, and handguns alike.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone actually had light strike issues with the Apex kit?  Or just concerned about the theoretical possibility of getting light strikes?  I know very little about revolvers, the 642 is my only one, but Apex has a really good reputation for their M&P trigger kits.  I'd be surprised if they made a kit labeled "duty/carry" that wasn't reliable enough for CCW.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I've run somewhere between 500-1k rounds through my 642 since I installed the Apex spring kit and have had zero issues. That's multiple loads of varying power and different primer types.

ETA: As far as holsters, I change between pocket carry(most common, cheap Uncle Mike's), kydex OWB I made and some generic IWB pancake that I usually carry AIWB.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I went for it and ordered the Apex kit .  I'll thoroughly test it before I trust it.  At worst I'm out $26.  I've never taken the side plate off a revolver before so the install should be fun
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went for it and ordered the Apex kit .  I'll thoroughly test it before I trust it.  At worst I'm out $26.  I've never taken the side plate off a revolver before so the install should be fun
View Quote

As well as easier than you expect.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I just watched the video tutorial from Apex.  Looks pretty simple, as long as nothing goes flying across the room I should be ok.  

The guy in the video put what looked like a ton of grease on the rebound and main springs; they really need that much?  Don't think I have any grease, just oil.  And I'm guessing everyone loctites the side plate screws?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
The best holster I've found for the 642 is a Flashbang Betty because it is a minimalist design, adds only a tiny bit of thickness to the gun, has a single metal belt that pivots to adjust the cant.  With this holster you can carry appendix, 4 o'clock, SOB, works great cross draw too.   I've tried a lot of holsters and for me I liked these because of the design you have a lot of carry position options.  Like these so much I've bought more of them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just watched the video tutorial from Apex.  Looks pretty simple, as long as nothing goes flying across the room I should be ok.  

The guy in the video put what looked like a ton of grease on the rebound and main springs; they really need that much?  Don't think I have any grease, just oil.  And I'm guessing everyone loctites the side plate screws?
View Quote

I don't loctite my side plate screws... Never had an issue with them working loose.
If you do decide to use a thread locker, use the weakest version you can find. (purple or whichever it is)... Personally, I would snug em down hand tight and perhaps check em when you clean the gun just to keep your mind at ease,

I have carried a JFrame for close to 2 decades now and never had a side plate screw work loose.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The Apex kit arrived today, gotta love Amazon Sunday deliveries . Installation was really easy. I could've had the whole thing done in about 15 minutes if not for getting the side plate back on. I just could not get it to fall in place. After fiddling with it for about 10 minutes I had to give it some light taps with the plastic end of a mallet and that got it in. The guy in the Apex video said if you need to tap it in you did something wrong. Did I mess it up? It really didn't seem like it was going in there without some light taps.

I wouldn't say the Apex kit is a dramatic change, but it is definitely a noticeable improvement. I was getting between a 9-10 lb pull depending where I put my trigger pull gauge on the trigger. My gauge only goes up to 10 lbs so couldn't measure it before the parts swap, but it was at least 12 lbs. I hope to take it to the range this week to try it out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:35:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I put 100 rounds through the 642 today with Apex kit.  No light strikes or other issues.  I still shot it like crap, but maybe slightly less so than before installing the Apex kit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top