User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I don't consider a slow dropping or non-dropping empty Glock 26 mag to be a malfunction.

Especially out of a G26 with a mag with much  less mass than a compact of full size gun
View Quote

Well there you are.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For what it's worth, I don't consider a slow dropping or non-dropping empty Glock 26 mag to be a malfunction.

Especially out of a G26 with a mag with much  less mass than a compact of full size gun
View Quote

Well, I don't think it's the low mass of the magazine causing it to hang up. He stated they had to physically pull them out, and exert a little force to get them out.

Drop free magazines not dropping free sounds like a problem to me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, I don't think it's the low mass of the magazine causing it to hang up. He stated they had to physically pull them out, and exert a little force to get them out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a problem.

Something is broken or reassembled wrong or out of spec

I'm not making excuses but there is info missing.   Who knows how much " lone wolf" garbage or Korean mags we are talking about.   Stuck Glock  mags are as common as stuck M&P mags in my experience.  Which is to say......rare and indicative of some larger problem
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It is a problem.

I'm not making excuses but there is info missing.   Who knows how much " lone wolf" garbage or Korean mags we are talking about.   Stuck Glock  mags are as common as stuck M&P mags in my experience.  Which is to say......rare and indicative of some larger problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a problem.

Fair enough. To be honest, I don't really have anything against either polymer or metal mags. I generally just generally prefer metal mags as the guns that use them tend to have more ergonomic grips for me.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't own an M&P, but my understanding was that Glock coated their metal magazines in polymer because they used a polymer magazine release, which added some nominal girth to the magazine.  I have Glocks among many other manufacturers for their pure function and simplicity, but I am not a Glock kool-aid drinker.  I have seen many Glock magazines with cracked polymer around the lips or witness holes and with significant peening where the polymer on the magazine contacts the polymer release; neither issue seems to affect their function.  I suspect that a metal only magazine with a polymer magazine release would quickly wear or deform the magazine release, hence the polymer "shell" with what appears to be a larger bearing surface than a metal-metal system.  I admit that I don't know if an M&P has a metal or polymer release.  While I generally prefer metal magazines mated with metal magazine releases, both types seem to work fine if the magazine retention system was designed properly for the materials and its properties.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While this may be true, take a look at the inside of a polymer magwell after doing a few thousand mag changes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinner, less friction when dropping the mag, overall just better. Just because glock doesn't use it doesn't mean its inferior. Metal mags are pretty proven as well.

While this may be true, take a look at the inside of a polymer magwell after doing a few thousand mag changes.

That is why there are no third party metal glock mags
Use to be but you point out why they aren't used much
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:58:30 AM EDT
[#7]
both will slowly eat away at a polly frame.

Search over at BE.com around the time the rule changeswere coming out for production. You may be able to find a picture of a glock 9mm after years of reloads and how it  changed the internal dimension of the magazine well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't own an M&P, but my understanding was that Glock coated their metal magazines in polymer because they used a polymer magazine release, which added some nominal girth to the magazine.  I have Glocks among many other manufacturers for their pure function and simplicity, but I am not a Glock kool-aid drinker.  I have seen many Glock magazines with cracked polymer around the lips or witness holes and with significant peening where the polymer on the magazine contacts the polymer release; neither issue seems to affect their function.  I suspect that a metal only magazine with a polymer magazine release would quickly wear or deform the magazine release, hence the polymer "shell" with what appears to be a larger bearing surface than a metal-metal system.  I admit that I don't know if an M&P has a metal or polymer release.  While I generally prefer metal magazines mated with metal magazine releases, both types seem to work fine if the magazine retention system was designed properly for the materials and its properties.
View Quote

The M&P mag release is mostly polymer with a metal hook that retains the magazine.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:28:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
both will slowly eat away at a polly frame.

Search over at BE.com around the time the rule changeswere coming out for production. You may be able to find a picture of a glock 9mm after years of reloads and how it  changed the internal dimension of the magazine well.
View Quote

Ok

Send it to Glock and have them replace the frame
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:10:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Glocks mags aren't made of plastic
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess the answer is that if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I have S&W metal mags from as far back 1978 that I have kept fully loaded since day one..  They came with my 659 Smith.  I milled slots in them so I could also use them in my Ruger P95.  I shoot a lot and don't ever remember having a jam in either pistol.  When it comes to Glock mags I replace them each year or I get jams.  Welded steel mags work if made from good quality steel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not common but I have experienced a smeared magazine catch notch on a Glock mag, caused by the mag catch engaging just a bit high on the mag and then slipping out on firing, damaging the magazine beyond repair.  I suppose mag catch notches could get damaged by dropping as well, tho again, I do not think it is common at all.

I prefer steel magazines for those reasons, tho really, the problem is far more theoretical than practical.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HK =  Metal Mag
Sig =  Metal Mag
Beretta =  Metal Mag
Walther =  Metal Mag
S&W =  Metal Mag
Springfield Armory =  Metal Mag
Glock = Plastic Mag
View Quote

I think some HK pistols have used polymer mags (USP 9?), but yeah...

I always thought Glock mags were polymer lined for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My point is metal mags tend to tear up polymer frames.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinner, less friction when dropping the mag, overall just better. Just because glock doesn't use it doesn't mean its inferior. Metal mags are pretty proven as well.

Or just use a metal mag and reap the benefits starting from mag change 1 instead of a few thousand... I'm not sure what you're point is here

I'm not an expert in all things to do with firearms, but I've never heard of somebody wearing out a polymer mag well because their gun uses metal mags.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Why does S&W make metal magazines?

Real simple question to answer from a logistics/production stand point; They are SET-UP TO MAKE METAL MAGAZINES.

They have the production line, drop forges, dies, industrial expertise, all the infrastructure to make metal magazines. It is seriously expensive to change a production line or build a new one. Also the normal American gun customer is a finicky "traditional" bunch ("why I don't like that plastic magazine shit.... it's just cheap shit") never mind it might be better.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:34:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
narrower magazines = narrower grips. Feels like a huge difference between a G21 and a M&P45, although I'm sure it's only 1/10th of an inch or so.
S&W has a history of using steel mags, they work , why reinvent the wheel?

Glock made polymer stuff long before they made guns, such as polymer grenades. It made sense to make a pistol and magazine for it out of polymer.
View Quote

That's not because of the mag material, that's because of the mag width and stacking. The Glock 21 mags are much wider allowing 13 rounds where the M&P mags are narrower only allowing 10
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not an expert in all things to do with firearms, but I've never heard of somebody wearing out a polymer mag well because their gun uses metal mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just use a metal mag and reap the benefits starting from mag change 1 instead of a few thousand... I'm not sure what you're point is here

After a few thousand mag changes, the inside of the mag well gets pretty beat up, but as long as it doesn't impede the insertion and ejection of magazines, it's really just a cosmetic issue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top