Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 3:16:35 PM EDT
I just bought a Colt Python .357, six inch barrel, in blue.  The serial number is PY11XX.  According to the seller, not original owner, the gun is made in Germany.

Is this true?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Some were imported to Germany and proofed as such, but they weren't made there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, all Colt Pythons were made at the Colt factory in Hartford Connecticut.
Some American revolvers were exported to Europe, especially to Germany, where many were sold to US military personnel at base exchanges or PX's.

Once imported to Germany, German law required they be proof tested and stamped as passing.
Many of these guns have been imported back into the USA, and they can be recognized by the ugly German stamps on the frame and barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Need some pics of said Python.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:07:56 AM EDT
[#7]
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/matanglawin2/DSCN078_zps32c27a00.jpg[
img]https://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/matanglawin2/DSCN0785_zpse967817c.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I can see only one picture, and it looks like the gun has the wrong grips on it.
The grips ARE Colt Second Type Target grips, which are very desirable, BUT.... the Python came with ONLY Gold medallions.  
Silver medallions were only used on other models of Colt's.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a German proof mark. When firearms are sold, they need to be proofed in Germany with only few exceptions.Like it was said before, made in the U.S. but re-imported from Germany.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info.  My last question is about the PY added to the serial number.  Are all Pythons made that year has those letters?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Starting in the mid-1960's the Gun Control Act required that all firearms have a serial number and that that serial number be unique.

Colt started using letters as prefixes or suffixes along with the numbers to make serial numbers
Some years when production was higher Colt used more than one letter range, most years it was only a single range.
"PY" was a serial number prefix used on Colt Pythons in the 1990's.  It was used for more than one year as I recall.

If you call Colt during normal working hours they will tell you the year it was made over the phone.
They will not tell you anything more.  For more info you have to buy a Colt Archive letter for about $75.00.
If you call, be prepared to be on hold quite a while.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info.  That's more than I needed to know about my Python.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top