Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:24:36 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am in the market for an all-around duty handgun. I already have a standard 1911 and an XDS, and am keeping everything .45ACP, and have come down to a question between the FNX-45 and one of the Para-USA double-stack 1911s. I know there are other options, but it is down to these two for me. I know Glocks, m&ps, and xdms are great, but I just prefer one of these.

The pros of the FN as I understand them are:

- light weight

- low recoil

- excellent reliability

The upsides for the 1911 seem to be:

- awesome trigger

- better accuracy

Toss-ups

- magazine capacity

- ergonomics

If anyone has experience with these, I'd really like to know what you recommend of these two.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Accuracy is overrated in a combat handgun.  The fnx is far accurate enough to serve its purpose.  I am more of an hk guy but I would take it over the para.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I won't own a Para 1911.

ETA:  The mechanical accuracy is not better on the 1911, the ergos and trigger just help you shoot it better than the FN.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#3]
FNX45
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Accuracy and reliability would not be the first qualities to jump to mind in describing any factory Para widebody that I ever saw.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The FNX has the thinnest, most comfortable trigger of the large capacity 45s.  I can't remember for sure, but aren't the double stack 1911s thicker?  
I'd go FNX for reliability in adverse conditions--not as picky.

The 1911s are pretty and great shooters, but I think the polymers have surpassed them in every other way.  The HK is nice but the size doesn't justify the capacity.  The S&W MPs seem great, but you don't get the capacity of an FNX, and I'll bet ruggedness and reliability between the two are on par.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#6]
fnx out of those 2 hands down
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock 21

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Speaking of double-stack 1911 - how about STI 2011 instead of Para Ord?
How does it compare to FN?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock 21

View Quote

Yep.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 21

Yep.

FNX for 15rds...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FNX for 15rds...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 21

Yep.

FNX for 15rds...

Meh they are apples and oranges.  For someone that likes DA/SA then yes, the FN all the way.  If someone prefers, or is better with striker fired pistols, than that extra 1 or 2 rounds wouldn't be worth getting something that is outside of their discipline IMO.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]
But since the question is Para or FNX,

FNX
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't care for the super aggressive grip texture on the FNX. I also felt it was lacking something, I just could never put my finger on it. I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't so I sold it. I also had a G21 and even though the ergos were worse and capacity was less, I felt it was the better gun. I now have a double stack 1911 on the way, but I see myself with another G21 in the future.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I love my FNP-45  I had a regular then I got a Tactical.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/M1-Matt/Toys/FNP45Osprey.jpg  
View Quote

That pistol is sexy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I owned a SW1911 that I cared for well, and if I shot more than 200 rounds it would have performance issues.

So...  FNX
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FNX for 15rds...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glock 21

Yep.

FNX for 15rds...

Oh a whole 2 round defect

The 15 round mag also sticks out of the magwell almost an inch too.  The flat base mags are really 14 rounds and only short the Glock by 1.

Oh yeah, problem solved....here is 30 for you size queens

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/244285/kriss-magazine-extension-kit-17-round-fits-glock-21-21sf-kriss-vector-carbine-magazines-polymer-black

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I owned a SW1911 that I cared for well, and if I shot more than 200 rounds it would have performance issues.

So...  FNX
View Quote

Are you assuming that FNX's don't have performance issues?

Or that all 1911's do?

Or both?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That pistol is sexy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/M1-Matt/Toys/FNP45Osprey.jpg  

That pistol is sexy.

I was able to pull out 13 of the 15 rounds from the snow bank.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#20]
How much do the FNXs cost? If its over $700, just buy a Glock 21. No way I'm spending more than $700 on a plastic gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How much do the FNXs cost? If its over $700, just buy a Glock 21. No way I'm spending more than $700 on a plastic gun.
View Quote
A little less than $ 1100.00 about $ 1065.00. With that you get, three magazines, soft carry case, suppressor ready Trijicon night sights, threaded barreled FNX Tactical. I decided instead on a HK USP Tactical, but the FNX Tactical would be my next choice, don't get the Para, I sold an all steel P14 I bought in 93' a couple of years ago.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or that all 1911's do?

Or both?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...  FNX

Or that all 1911's do?

Or both?

I don't know dick about FNXs, but I know my 1911 wasn't that reliable.  Vis a vis...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A little less than $ 1100.00 about $ 1065.00. With that you get, three magazines, soft carry case, suppressor ready Trijicon night sights, threaded barreled FNX Tactical. I decided instead on a HK USP Tactical, but the FNX Tactical would be my next choice, don't get the Para, I sold an all steel P14 I bought in 93' a couple of years ago.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is just the tactical model.  I don't own any FN's, but I am pretty sure the standard models are significantly less.  I know the 9mm's can be had in the low 400's, I would assume the .45's would at least be in the same pricerange as the MP's, Xd's, and Glocks
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is just the tactical model.  I don't own any FN's, but I am pretty sure the standard models are significantly less.  I know the 9mm's can be had in the low 400's, I would assume the .45's would at least be in the same pricerange as the MP's, Xd's, and Glocks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

bud's has them listed for $656 for the all black and black/stainless and $663 for the black/fde.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I won't own a Para 1911.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I won't own a Para 1911.

Quoted:
Accuracy and reliability would not be the first qualities to jump to mind in describing any factory Para widebody that I ever saw.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#26]
if you are looking at a double stack 1911, look at STI. Para has a horrible track record
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 FNXs a tactical and regular. $999 and $550 is what I paid. Both 45 cal. I've shot 800 rounds through both so far with no problems. Cleaned them initially before first time at the range. Some people don't think that's necessary but I'm OCD that way. I have an inforce apl light on the tactical. If they ever come out with a 9mm tactical I'll pick one up. Looking for a can now. Get one you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have 2 FNXs a tactical and regular. $999 and $550 is what I paid. Both 45 cal. I've shot 800 rounds through both so far with no problems. Cleaned them initially before first time at the range. Some people don't think that's necessary but I'm OCD that way. I have an inforce apl light on the tactical. If they ever come out with a 9mm tactical I'll pick one up. Looking for a can now. Get one you won't be sorry.
View Quote

Are the upgrades worth $450?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Screw the rules: M&P45.  

Seriously though, I would take the FN.  It's lighter and far more rugged than the 1911.  Plus, you have the versatility of carrying it DA/SA without the safety or cocked-and-locked depending on your mood.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know dick about FNXs, but I know my 1911 wasn't that reliable.  Vis a vis...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...  FNX

Or that all 1911's do?

Or both?

My 1911's are far more reliable than my FNP-45 Tactical was by a long shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Seriously though, I would take the FN.  It's lighter and far more rugged than the 1911.  Plus, you have the versatility of carrying it DA/SA without the safety or cocked-and-locked depending on your mood.
View Quote

Seriously though.   Can you buy fire control parts or even a slide stop for an FNP/FNX without sending the gun into FNH USA?

I can do that with pretty much any 1911 at any decent sized gun store or from one of a million online vendors.

Is it possible to detail strip an FNP/FNX?  Think about that for a second before you answer me.

Plastic is more rugged than steel?  

An alloy framed commander-sized 1911 is the same weight as an FNP/FNX-45

You do have a point about the DA/SA or SA first shot option on the FNP/FNX.  What you are missing is what happens if you ride the safety like a 1911?

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So...  FNX

Or that all 1911's do?

Or both?

Oh hell, in that case, I recommend the OP get a .45 caliber Glock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahaha, true. I won't own anything Para because they tend to suck 50+% of the time. FN, I hate the double action pull of 8-9 gritty pound trigger, mags are expensive and a bit of a chore to find, along with very limited accessories and holster options make it a total no go for me. If you want a "combat" .45 then a G21sf or an M&P45 are far better choices than either of your two choices OP...
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Seriously though.   Can you buy fire control parts or even a slide stop for an FNP/FNX without sending the gun into FNH USA?

I can do that with pretty much any 1911 at any decent sized gun store or from one of a million online vendors.

Is it possible to detail strip an FNP/FNX?  Think about that for a second before you answer me.

You do have a point about the DA/SA or SA first shot option on the FNP/FNX.  What you are missing is what happens if you ride the safety like a 1911?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That part really pisses me off about that platform. You have to break parts to detail strip something='s stupid! They fixed the riding the safety trigger inactivation problem on this platform but yeah, when I was looking to buy one it was a show stopper for me because I shoot & carry 1911's 50% of the time. And wasn't there an issue with the magazines on the FNX/FNP platforms that the feed lips bend/misform easily if dropped: or am I thinking of another pistol?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that I haven't spent much time with either system.  Which just pushes me closer to my first point: M&P45.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think so. The regular fnx is easier to conceal, but adding a threaded barrel, night sights , and milling the slide probably costs more than $450.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I guess that I haven't spent much time with either system.  Which just pushes me closer to my first point: M&P45.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ok
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That part really pisses me off about that platform. You have to break parts to detail strip something='s stupid! They fixed the riding the safety trigger inactivation problem on this platform but yeah, when I was looking to buy one it was a show stopper for me because I shoot & carry 1911's 50% of the time. And wasn't there an issue with the magazines on the FNX/FNP platforms that the feed lips bend/misform easily if dropped: or am I thinking of another pistol?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did they fix the Decocker/Safety issue?

Yeah, the mags were too short in overall length.  A lot of ammo would jam the nose of a round into the front of the mag body under recoil, and leave you unable to feed ammo.  Thats kind of a big deal.  FN said they fixed it, but who knows.  They only have so much room for the overall length to fit in the grip dimensions of the gun.  1911's on the other hand have an excess of length in the mag.  I don't know if it is so much of an issue as FN 45 mags are impossible to find anyways.

Wondering if they ever got the trigger pin issues sorted out also?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I think so. The regular fnx is easier to conceal, but adding a threaded barrel, night sights , and milling the slide probably costs more than $450.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Night sights-$100 retail, going to cost less for FN
Threaded barrel-$150 maybe

How much does it cost to mill a few thousand slides?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep in mind that once you start milling slides, changing sights, cerakoting if you want the FDE color, and changing barrels. That you you are also throwing the factory warranty out the door. You may save a $100 or less by shopping around to change all of these things but to me it is not worth it. Also the case for the FNX tactical is nicer and will hold the suppressor if or when you go that route. Just not enough savings for me to risk it.

Also it seems the standard FNX 45's are running around $650 these days. Can still find the tacticals for $999
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that once you start milling slides, changing sights, cerakoting if you want the FDE color, and changing barrels. That you you are also throwing the factory warranty out the door. You may save a $100 or less by shopping around to change all of these things but to me it is not worth it. Also the case for the FNX tactical is nicer and will hold the suppressor if or when you go that route. Just not enough savings for me to risk it.

Also it seems the standard FNX 45's are running around $650 these days. Can still find the tacticals for $999

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget that. If your thinking about about a future suppressor purchase, get the FNX Tactical. Your just pissing money away in today's market by buying a gun and then milling the slide, buying a threaded barrel, adding night sites etc....

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't the tacticals also come with coated internal parts to protect it from rust? I think I remember hearing once that all the pistols what were submitted to the joint combat pistol program (or whatever it was called) had that feature mandatory.  Or do all of their models come like that?  I know some companies, like HK, have that standard, but some companies only had that for the ones that they issued to the military for testing.  I can't recall which category FN falls into.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]

The FNX line is designed to run standard NATO rounds. The tacticals have slightly modified internals to run any combination of ammo that you can put in it. And also for extra rust protection since they were designed for military field application.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The FNX line is designed to run standard NATO rounds. The tacticals have slightly modified internals to run any combination of ammo that you can put in it. And also for extra rust protection since they were designed for military field application.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The FNX line is designed to run standard NATO rounds.

.45ACP is a nato standard?
The tacticals have slightly modified internals to run any combination of ammo that you can put in it

What?  The FNP-45's couldn't even run winchester white box without the rounds dragging in the mags.  The FN Forum is full of FNP/FNX-45's exploding on factory ammo

And also for extra rust protection since they were designed for military field application.

Again, please be specific.  It has no more rust proofing than a S&W M&P
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What?  The FNP-45's couldn't even run winchester white box without the rounds dragging in the mags.  The FN Forum is full of FNP/FNX-45's exploding on factory ammo

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The tacticals have slightly modified internals to run any combination of ammo that you can put in it

And also for extra rust protection since they were designed for military field application.

when has an fnx kaboomed?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are too hung up on the FNP pistol. What's being sold today is the FNX line. Most of what you have been posting is about the FNP.
I have  a FNX Tac and have run a lot of rounds through it with no problems.
Sure there have been problems that are well known, I'm not complaining about mine.
I don't care who buys what, my 45 works good.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You are too hung up on the FNP pistol. What's being sold today is the FNX line. Most of what you have been posting is about the FNP.
Sure there have been problems that are well known, I'm not complaining about mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]

Newsflash

The FNP-45 IS the first of the FNX series.

The FNX-45 is a FNP-45 with a new name.  It's the same gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Except for the barrel (FNX has more chamber support) and mags, which really aren't compatable between the two.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#49]

No the internals on the FNX were changed because of the issues with the FNP line. Same on the outside, slightly different on the inside. They renamed it to differentiate the 2. I have several friends that work at the FN plant and live nearby. I have shot and seen the difference between the 2 many times
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Theres no such thing. NATO never speced .45ACP. He's probably referring to USGI ball.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top