Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2014 6:53:23 AM EDT
$4-900 on a gun is fine but then $25 mags/moon clips, speed strips, springs for used guns, any sort of customizations, night sights, a holster or 3, new weapon lights, couple hundred rounds of FMJ, 2-3 boxes of defensive stuff, new pelican case to carry all these guns. That price can triple real damn quick

ugh; I need my morning coffee. I'm kinda dreading picking up a Hi Power, Glock 22, and 1911 from my FFL today. I just bought a G19 and CZ83 and haven't even finished buying for those and I'm mailing another layaway pmt to Bud's for a Smith 442.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Send them to me.  Think of the money you'll save!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Simple solutions seems to be buy less.....but nah that's not the way to do things.  Suck it up and quit whining...
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
first world problem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
This is largely why most of my handguns (all but 2 or 3) are Glocks.  Same holsters, mags, parts, etc.

If you think it sucks for handguns, don't buy any rifles.  Optics, mounts, etc. add up fast.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
1911 and BHP use the same holster.  G19 can use a G22 holster.  Not everything needs night sights.  Ammo is never a bad investment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is largely why most of my handguns (all but 2 or 3) are Glocks.  Same holsters, mags, parts, etc.

If you think it sucks for handguns, don't buy any rifles.  Optics, mounts, etc. add up fast. For some reason I build those costs in my head into the cost of said platform. And pmags are used on lots of stuff.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Slow down you don't have to have everything at once - get a small carry pistol and get the needed gear to carry it and shoot it enough to gain the at least basic skills. A 22 target pistol to practice fundamentals at the range . Everything else can wait. It has taken me decades to buy sell and trade my way to the ideal handgun battery and am not fully there yet!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Slow down you don't have to have everything at once - get a small carry pistol and get the needed gear to carry it and shoot it enough to gain the at least basic skills. A 22 target pistol to practice fundamentals at the range . Everything else can wait. It has taken me decades to buy sell and trade my way to the ideal handgun battery and am not fully there yet!
View Quote

I'm not necessarily new to this; been carrying for 3+ yrs and have all the bells and whistles for a CZ (4 holsters, internals, mags, night sights, spare parts, TLR-1s, etc). It's just doing it over and over.
And I tend to buy projects - beat to shit CZ 83 and Hi Power so that compounds the issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
1911 and BHP use the same holster.  G19 can use a G22 holster.That's just not cool. It's like sharing jeans with your brother  Not everything needs night sights. or dawson/novak/heinie sights or the like. That GI grap and 1950s hi power sights won't cut it.  Ammo is never a bad investment. Funny story, I work in insurance and multiple people have asked if they can insure their ammo
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#10]
>>Simple solutions seems to be buy less....<<

Right.... anything more than one is "elective".
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Pictures up in the 70 page "show me your latest acquisition thread"
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Not buying a handgun, but a complete system.

Even a relatively inexpensive Ruger SR22PB got more expensive when you add two spare magazines making four, a HiViz front sight, a holster, and 1000 rounds of .22LR at today's prices.

Whatever you buy, it is pretty much useless without the stuff that makes its system functional.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
You're compaining because you have to go pick up your new guns today?  They have a website for people  just like you::     http://whitepeopleproblems.us/
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not buying a handgun, but a complete system.

Even a relatively inexpensive Ruger SR22PB got more expensive when you add two spare magazines making four, a HiViz front sight, a holster, and 1000 rounds of .22LR at today's prices.

Whatever you buy, it is pretty much useless without the stuff that makes its system functional.

View Quote

Good way to phrase it
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
first world problem.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
SIG X-Five magazines are roughly $100 apiece.

Stop the whining.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Expect to spend $1,000 minimum.

That's what I tell people that are looking to buy a handgun.  
That's my (unfortunately) time proven analysis of what it takes to get and outfit a new pistol.

Gun - $5-700 (minimum)
3-4 spare magazines - $100-120
Holster & Mag carrier - $120-150
JHP for HD / Carry (including rounds to "proof" the gun with the ammo) - $150-200
Range Ammo - $100-150
Other accessories (weapon light, stocks, cleaning supplies, misc parts, handgun safe - whatever, some but not all) $150-300

I think I've come in under the wire a couple of times - revolvers and an LCP.
Other than that, I've cracked $1k every time.  It's brutal.
And of course, there are the guns that blow right by $1,000 in straight purchase price.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I feel you OP, the part that really grates on me is the magazines. Don't get me wrong it is totally worth it, but right now I can buy 5 pmags or even more USGI mags for my AR for the same price as one magazine for my new Sig Pro 2022. This is at my local shop.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I feel you OP, the part that really grates on me is the magazines. Don't get me wrong it is totally worth it, but right now I can buy 5 pmags or even more USGI mags for my AR for the same price as one magazine for my new Sig Pro 2022. This is at my local shop.
View Quote

And I can put 556, 300blk, and 458 socom in Pmags

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Dang! You're buying a bunch of stuff!

That's one of the reasons I'm reducing everything to a Glock 19. I tried to save money where I could. I got a relatively decent IWB, but I need Kydex now for OWB with a light. Magazines, magazines, magazines - that is definitely where the money starts raining. Night sights can get really expensive and then there is the install cost.

Thank God I have a GT Distributors next to me. NIB mags for less than $24 out the door, and the 33 rounders have been on sale for $28 these last couple of weeks. The Ameriglo Pro Glo sights were $90 with no installation fee, and I had a 10% off coupon! I'm keeping my eyes on the EE for used Kydex. If I go new, I'm probably going with JM Custom.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the worst thing is for the amount of handguns there is there easily less than half in holsters.

Sucks when you like a gun and no one makes a holster for it
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#22]
This is why I sold most of my centerfire pistols and focused on Glocks and 1911's. I was tired of supporting several platforms.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the worst thing is for the amount of handguns there is there easily less than half in holsters.

View Quote

What gun?
FWIW I've paid for the blue gun for guys in the "DIY Kydex thread" in the survival forum and they give me a holster for free.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dang! You're buying a bunch of stuff!

That's one of the reasons I'm reducing everything to a Glock 19. I tried to save money where I could. I got a relatively decent IWB, but I need Kydex now for OWB with a light. Magazines, magazines, magazines - that is definitely where the money starts raining. Night sights can get really expensive and then there is the install cost.

Thank God I have a GT Distributors next to me. NIB mags for less than $24 out the door, and the 33 rounders have been on sale for $28 these last couple of weeks. The Ameriglo Pro Glo sights were $90 with no installation fee, and I had a 10% off coupon! I'm keeping my eyes on the EE for used Kydex. If I go new, I'm probably going with JM Custom.
View Quote

Feel free to PM me about selling some 33s since I can't buy from a dealer

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What gun?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun?

For awhile there was like 2 Holsters that fit the PPQ (Safariland claims that none of there P99 holsters fit the PPQ)

And many of the firearms from CZ besides the CZ75.

Like I said its getting better now but that's because of smaller kydex companies. It go a hell of a lot better if Blackhawk and Safariland were updating there holster line

Also to be said Is having little to none options for Holsters with a weapon light. Personally I want safariland to have a PPQ ALS holster that has an M3 light for it. To me if it has a rail there should be options in holsters for that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For awhile there was like 2 Holsters that fit the PPQ (Safariland claims that none of there P99 holsters fit the PPQ)

Like I said its getting better now but that's because of smaller kydex companies. It go a hell of a lot better if Blackhawk and Safariland were updating there holster line

Also to be said Is having little to none options for Holsters with a weapon light. Personally I want safariland to have a PPQ ALS holster that has an M3 light for it. To me if it has a rail there should be options in holsters for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What gun?

Preaching to the choir. CZ P07 with TLR1s and threaded barrel

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Expect to spend $1,000 minimum.
That's what I tell people that are looking to buy a handgun.  

That's my (unfortunately) time proven analysis of what it takes to get and outfit a new pistol.
Gun - $5-700 (minimum)

3-4 spare magazines - $100-120

Holster & Mag carrier - $120-150

JHP for HD / Carry (including rounds to "proof" the gun with the ammo) - $150-200

Range Ammo - $100-150

Other accessories (weapon light, stocks, cleaning supplies, misc parts, handgun safe - whatever, some but not all) $150-300
I think I've come in under the wire a couple of times - revolvers and an LCP.

Other than that, I've cracked $1k every time.  It's brutal.

And of course, there are the guns that blow right by $1,000 in straight purchase price.

View Quote
No way bro!  You should just buy another unfamiliar and superfluous handgun (because you NEED something different) shoot 50 rounds of WWB through it and then post your next "what gun should I buy" thread.  Repeat.  My XD came with a sweet holster too, so you are just throwing away money.

All joking aside, your post was dead on.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top