Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:54:08 PM EDT
I've done quite a bit of research as I am thinking of getting a revolver in 44 mag (some species of S&W 629... undecided re. barrel length).

As a ccw caliber, thoughts?

CHALLENGE: do not turn this into a revolver vs. semi-auto thread.

Assumption: revolver will be 4" or shorter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Only problem I"ve found with .44mag is overpenetration.  They also don't seem to expand as much as I think they could/should.
For CCW I would think weight would be an issue also.  I know they have the "mountain" guns that are lighter, but I think a .357 would be lighter still (and I think a 4" barrel could utilize the .357 since it is just in shorter barrels that Doc Roberts indicates no benefit with .357 over .38 special).

Bear country, get a .44 mag.
CCW with a revolver I'd probably go .357 mag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've done quite a bit of research as I am thinking of getting a revolver in 44 mag (some species of S&W 629... undecided re. barrel length).

I won't even own a .44, let alone use one for CCW.

Shot a couple, didn't care at all for the results. Overkill ammo. At least for me.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are dead set on a Smith N frame .44 look at the Smith 329 Night Guard, its the ideal CCW .44 Mag., short bbl, lightweight and night sights.  The 329 PD with either 2.5" or 4" bbl will also work.  Made to be carried alot and shot less.  I had no problem carrying my Smith 58 concealed in Alsaka last Oct when there.  Get a good belt and couple of good holsters.  IWB will be harder to conceal as the thickness of the cylinder as its right at the waistline (get pants one size larger).  Try a good hi ride OWB holster that keeps it drawn close to the side.  Ammo either .44 Spls or mid velocity .44 mags with a JHP for in town use.  Out in the boonies full cast bullets.  My .41 mag I carried I used Win 175gr STHP for anti personnel use in town and would switch to 265gr WFN for anti bear use.

329NG
329PD Backpacker

CD
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
.44 Mag is too much for social work. The .44 Special is a better choice.

ETA: the eight shot 627 .357 Mag is an even better choice for SD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would think the .44 magnum would be a bit hard to control with full loads, especially with a 4" or shorter barrel. You could use .44 specials out of it with no problems however.....

My 3" M-629:

.44 special Silver Tips:

If you are set on a revolver, my choice would be an S&W 625 in .45acp.....Easier to control and fast to load with moon clips.....

My S&W M-625:

Moon clip goodness:

Link Posted: 3/3/2013 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Since it was brought up, you can get the .44 machined for moon clips also.

TK Custom Moon Clips

In my front pocket right now is a Smith 442 Pro that uses TK moon clips in .38 SPL.  I can use loose rounds, moon clips, standard speed loaders or speed strips to top off.  Just saw where they now do .41 Mags!  My 58 might get a face lift

CD
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you could find a S&W model 58 and some of the original ."41 Police" ammunition you would have a good setup for CCW.

(Many scurry off to Google M-58 and .41 Police)  
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Silvertip 44 magnums are very manageable.

I have a cabin in Bear Country (Black Bear) and pack either a 3" S&W 657 in 41 Magnum, a 4" Redhawk in 44 Magnum, A 4" S&W M25 in 44 Special or a 3" Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt with Hot Loads.

Your biggest problem (assuming you can safely and accurately fire the gun in question and do so with follow up shots) will be in concealing it.
I have used the above revolvers for CCW, but the only way I have done it is in an OWB and a winter coat. The one I mainly use is a Galco that works as strongside or crossdraw.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I've carried both. The biggest problem with a SW 629 4-inch is the size of the cylinder, but with the right shoulder holster or belt rig it is possible. However, you're probably looking at wearing a light jacket or tactical vest in warm weather. Of course, the bigger you are the easier it usually is to conceal larger firearms.
As for loads, a good .44 special JHP is probably your best bet.
A 1911 is easier to carry, with it being narrower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
DasRonin,
The first .41 I owned was a M58. Good weapon. My first big bore duty revolver was a M57. Eventually switched to the 29, and later the 629 because it was easier buying ammunition and reloading supplies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
3" GP100, .357 Magnum

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 1:56:18 AM EDT
[#12]
45ACP or 357, since mildly loaded 38 special brass has a near infinite reloading life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#13]
if you don't have to worry about big toothy critters... I cut the barrel of a Charter Bulldog .44 special to 2"... it's now an "LL DOG"

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This begs the question of why you titled the thread this way....

If you're asking about a revolver in .45 ACP or .45 Rimmed versus a .44 Mag, the .45 ACP is a better caliber choice in a small revolver.

I know a lot of people who shoot a small revolver well in .38 but don't do well at all with it in .357, and unfortunately a .38 in a short barreled revolver is about as effective as a .380.

The same problem occurs in .44 Mag - most shooters will do better with a .44 Special. And if you get a revolver designed for .44 Mag it's going to be excessively heavy, while if you get one designed for .44 Special and chambered for .44 Mag it won't tolerate a steady diet of .44 Mag, so you won't be practicing what you'll be carrying.  

IMHO .45 ACP is more manageable in a revolver as the recoil is a lot less snappy than a .44 Mag and they can be lighter.

Finally, there is the legal reality that you own the bullet until it stops and anything it hits will involve an attorney in a defensive shoot, so the over penetration of the .44 Mag is something that's best avoided.  

-----

But back to your original challenge, a .45 ACP revolver makes little sense  as you'll have only 5-6 shots and then a complicated and time consuming reload requiring a fair amount of manual dexterity and fine motor coordination.   I'd much rather have 8-9 shots followed by a gross motor movement slam it in the grip reload.  

Plus the 1911 is thin, not overly heavy and and easily concealed in it's 3, 3.5 and 4 inch iterations and even a 3" 1911 shoots well even rapid fire and double tapping at social distances of 7-12 yards.

40 rounds, 7 yards, 3" Kimber Ultra Carry in about a minute in no particular rush.  Why would I want a revolver?

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in the 80`s I use to carry a revolvers as a primary and back up.

But in 357mag

I found out I was much FASTER using 38spl+P instead of the extra high recoiling 357magnum loads

More rounds on target and faster wins in my book.

There are more and  better made  bullets in 45acp than there are in 44spl or 44mag (HST.GD,Ranger T&B)

For that reason I would go to 45acp over 44spl/44mag
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:26:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're asking about a revolver in .45 ACP or .45 Rimmed versus a .44 Mag, the .45 ACP is a better caliber choice in a small revolver.

I know a lot of people who shoot a small revolver well in .38 but don't do well at all with it in .357, and unfortunately a .38 in a short barreled revolver is about as effective as a .380.

The same problem occurs in .44 Mag - most shooters will do better with a .44 Special. And if you get a revolver designed for .44 Mag it's going to be excessively heavy, while if you get one designed for .44 Special and chambered for .44 Mag it won't tolerate a steady diet of .44 Mag, so you won't be practicing what you'll be carrying.  

IMHO .45 ACP is more manageable in a revolver as the recoil is a lot less snappy than a .44 Mag and they can be lighter.

Finally, there is the legal reality that you own the bullet until it stops and anything it hits will involve an attorney in a defensive shoot, so the over penetration of the .44 Mag is something that's best avoided.  

-----

But back to your original challenge, a .45 ACP revolver makes little sense  as you'll have only 5-6 shots and then a complicated and time consuming reload requiring a fair amount of manual dexterity and fine motor coordination.   I'd much rather have 8-9 shots followed by a gross motor movement slam it in the grip reload.  

Plus the 1911 is thin, not overly heavy and and easily concealed in it's 3, 3.5 and 4 inch iterations and even a 3" 1911 shoots well even rapid fire and double tapping at social distances of 7-12 yards.

40 rounds, 7 yards, 3" Kimber Ultra Carry in about a minute in no particular rush.  Why would I want a revolver?

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/5F09679C-3FC4-473A-8BEE-9DB199622304-1449-0000069E67569C4C_zpsc2da43b8.jpg

impressive shooting

If you kep loaded with 44 special you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
3" GP100, .357 Magnum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq3UdULuqt8

The GP100 3inch is sweet to shoot

I can shoot it a tad faster and more accurately than my J & K frames

The weight is perfect for shooting 38spl +P and lite 357magloads like the win white box 110gr

Its one ruger I happen to like .
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Yep; are you asking about a 45ACP revolver vs a 44Mag revolver? I'm a bit confused.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I am ONLY focused calibers, not platforms.

Thanks for the responses so far guys!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are dead set on a Smith N frame .44 look at the Smith 329 Night Guard, its the ideal CCW .44 Mag., short bbl, lightweight and night sights.  The 329 PD with either 2.5" or 4" bbl will also work.  Made to be carried alot and shot less.  I had no problem carrying my Smith 58 concealed in Alsaka last Oct when there.  Get a good belt and couple of good holsters.  IWB will be harder to conceal as the thickness of the cylinder as its right at the waistline (get pants one size larger).  Try a good hi ride OWB holster that keeps it drawn close to the side.  Ammo either .44 Spls or mid velocity .44 mags with a JHP for in town use.  Out in the boonies full cast bullets.  My .41 mag I carried I used Win 175gr STHP for anti personnel use in town and would switch to 265gr WFN for anti bear use.

329NG
329PD Backpacker

CD

I was gonna' say the same thing. I've been drooling over the Night Gaurd line too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#21]
So do you go in bear country often? I guess that would be a determining factor. IMO 44mag is a little over kill for humans where over penetration can be an issue. I don't even like carrying 357mag for self defense against humans, why way to much recoil, 38 spec +P is plenty and you get less recoil for faster follow up shots. 44mag is huge recoil far to much for a CCW vs humans, bears having a 44mag is definitely nice to have, where you need the penetration and would just have to deal with the recoil.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I am thinking a Nightguard 325 with Buffalo Bore .45 AR +P 255 grain keith SWCs @ 1000 fps will stop anything you need it too.

They build a .45 ACP +p with the 255 Keith @ 925 FPS, no slouch either.

I think I would swap my 4 inch Anaconda for a 325 right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OK; I'd opt for the 45ACP then. Going to be easier to get good hits with, particularly for follow up shots.

Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hard to separate since one is an auto cartridge (it's in the name...) and the other is a revolver cartridge.

There are exceptions, like .45ACP revolvers and a Desert Eagle in .44 if you feel like carrying one of those...

.45ACP personally.  It will do everything .44 special will do to 2 legged critters and has a much better variety of SD ammo.

If you want to go all Dirty Harry with a .44mag hand cannon, we're not going to be able to talk you out of it.  It will have a much bigger blast and fireball, and be a lot slower back on target.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]
For hunting or bear protection; .44 magnum.

For CCW; .45 ACP.

Better selection of commercially loaded self defense ammunition with appropriate terminal ballistics, better follow up capability, and a larger selection of handguns appropriate for CCW.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Owned a .44 Mag - Ruger Super Blackhawk.  Definitely NOT a CCW pistol; mine had an 8" barrel... lol.  More like a hand cannon.  I'd think about it this way - remember what the .357 was designed for - it was (as I've been told by several LEOs back when I was a youngster in Indiana) designed with sufficient power to allow an officer to pull alongside a car and shoot through the fender into the engine and for the round to penetrate the engine and disable the vehicle.  With that in mind, the versatility of the .357 - with its capability to shoot .38 Specials and .357 Magnum - is hard to beat.  A variety of loads would give you a good handle on your choice for penetration as you see fit for the circumstance.  I put roughly 500 rounds through my Ruger .44 Magnum and while I really liked the gun, I would think that it would severely over-penetrate in nearly all cases... and shooting a short barrel version would be tough to manage well.

I thought about trading to a .41 Mag... just never did it.  Finally sold the gun for different reasons... now I own a Glock 9mm and a Ruger Old Army .45 black powder.  Obviously the Glock is my CCW pistol... the Ruger is my black powder back-up sidearm... novel, accurate, you have to wait for the smoke to clear to see if you hit your intended target... lol!

Good luck on your decision!
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 2:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
.357 pierce an engine block, I don't think so. They did the test on box o truth. I don't think a .308 pierced the block. But the 30-06 ap round pierced the block and went into the cyclinder.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#29]
And the fact that the orginal load for the .357 is no longer made, reduced in velocity.

CD
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#30]
My Step Dad is an x CHP.  He to this day will claim it does.  He had these 125 grain "super vel's"  that they used to carry and supposedly those were the death rays that would do this.  I think he even claimed he's seen it done.  

I have no dog in the hunt.  I just am adding to the discussion on engine blocks.   I don't plan on stopping a car with my .357, so it really doesn't matter to me.  I guess I'd be aiming at the driver if I was needing to shoot at a car.  But this will probably never happen.  Thank God.  

He's got a lot of stories that really are colorful.  I have been half tempted to see if there are any official records and write a freaking book about it.  He claims at one time they tasked him to help some GI's returning from Vietnam transition to civilian life.  And supposedly they flew him out to a carrier, twice, in an F4.  See what I mean?  

His Service Revolver.

Anyways....  Doesn't help the OP one bit, but may be interesting.  All I know is he loves that myth/claim/story/whatever you wanna call it,  about the engine block and the super vels and clings to it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And the fact that the orginal load for the .357 is no longer made, reduced in velocity.

CD

This.   Look up some old reloading manuals for an eye opening experience.   JD
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for .41 magnum with the .41 special as the regular practice/city carry. Magnum load for critters....
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to separate since one is an auto cartridge (it's in the name...) and the other is a revolver cartridge.

There are exceptions, like .45ACP revolvers and a Desert Eagle in .44 if you feel like carrying one of those...

.45ACP personally.  It will do everything .44 special will do to 2 legged critters and has a much better variety of SD ammo.

If you want to go all Dirty Harry with a .44mag hand cannon, we're not going to be able to talk you out of it.  It will have a much bigger blast and fireball, and be a lot slower back on target.

In "Magnum Force" Dirty Harry says that he shoots 44 specials when he runs into the four bad apple on the police range.

I would take a 44 special over a 45 ACP out of a revolver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#34]
44spc for social work
44mag for bears
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Having owned both a 629 and 625, my eventual answer was a 4" M-22. As light as a typical .357, but in 45ACP. For someone who already owns a 45ACP pistol, it's a perfect choice. There's plenty out there for defense and practice loads, and there's specialized loads and 45 Super for heavier loads.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I have CCWed revolvers in both the .44 Magnum and .45 ACP calibers. I also reload for both calibers.

Generally, I'll put down to this: pick the gun you like. The caliber decision is relatively moot, given the capability of modern handgun loadings. The biggest difference will be the wider range of SD ammo choices you get with .45 ACP. My S&W 625 provides me with many choices for SD ammo, though I currently carry the excellent Winchester Ranger +P. My S&W 29 is loaded with Winchester 210 grain Silvertips. The only other suitable self-defense ammo I would generally carry is the 200 grain Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel load. The vast majority of other .44 Magnum rounds are generally unsuitable for self-defense against persons for various reasons.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#37]
44 Magnum has a lot of recoil, especially in the smaller packages.  My Redhawk 7.5"  is very controllable, follow up shots come as fast as the other revolvers I have owned. I doubt the same can be said for short barrel N frames in the same caliber.  

44 Magnum will work very well on humans, and I intend to carry mine this summer in the woods, even though humans will be my greatest threat.  The problem is cities have a lot of people in them, and the 44 magnum will shoot through several before stopping.  It will probably kill a little quicker then the 45 ACP, but the disadvantages are not worth the trade offs.

If you really want a large bore revolver for CCW the 45 ACP makes more sense.  You will have many well tested self defense rounds to choose from, instead of a few downloaded 44 Mag/Special that may or may not work, and some over powered 44 Mag loadings that will kill on both ends out of a CCW friendly revolver.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#38]
For a CCW: definitely 45 ACP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I carried a S&W 629 or 625 (.45 Colt) Mountain Gun EDC for years in a Milt Sparks IWB.  They were extremely thick but doable with winter type clothing.  Summer time they were a no go.  I was tougher (read younger and dumber) then.  Now I prefer the 1911 for it's much thinner profile and 3 extra shots.  I'll still carry a Mountain Gun bumming around in the mountains, but I'll pass if going to town.  Much the same as the LCP has replaced the J frame for summer time carry in my pocket or under a tee shirt in recent years.  I still think the .44 Mag, .45 Colt double action revolver is a hell of a defensive tool, however, if you're well versed at running one and can conceal it effectively.  Most people I see shoot them at the range thumb the hammer back everytime like a bunch of tyro's.

ETA:  As a handloader, I do love not having to pick up my brass  thrown hither and yon by a self chucker.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Definitely NOT a .44 Mag. Definitely a .44 Special over a .44 Mag for CCW.  Definitely .45 over .44 Special for CCW.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Different situations call for different solutions.
With self defence the situation is only to be guessed at.

If you suspect your attacker might be one or more two footed varmints you might expect having to take multiple shots and the 44mag is slower to recover and get off a good second or third shot than a 357 or a 45acp in most cases.

If I was worried about larger animals like bears or stopping vehicles  I might decide to give up some speed of multiple shots to get higher power.

The only 44mags I can shoot well at all are quite heavy so that in itself pretty much rules them out for my carry use.

I expect we all have a bit of Harry Callahan in us but the whole premise of a city cop with a full sized 629 is basic Hollywood stupidity.
Yeah there have likely been some who did it but that doesn't mean it would be a reasonable choice for most of us.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Caliber and caliber alone?

.44 Magnum, 180gr Hornady XTP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#43]
There is no way I could conceal this

better than this

the cylinder and overall shape of it make it more difficult for concealed carry, and carrying speed reloads wouldn't help either.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I would expect slower follow up shots from .44 mag or spl.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#45]
In my mind .45 ACP and .44 Special are interchangeable.  The edge goes to the .44 Special if you load them warm.  

The .44 Magnum is too much blast and recoil for too little return.  I use mine for hunting.  I have a Dan Wesson .44 Magnum that is hell for stout.  I am not a fan of recoil and my DW is the only .44 Mag I have owned that I can honestly say I enjoy shooting.

If you have your heart set on a 629 then look at the Mountain Gun.  It is a nice all around belt gun.  Concealment?  Well...nope.  Just too much gun for me to want to lug around.  

Don't overlook .44 Special level loads.  You can load a Special load in a .44 Magnum case.  A 250gr SWC Keith bullet loaded around 1000 FPS is very useful.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In "Magnum Force" Dirty Harry says that he shoots 44 specials when he runs into the four bad apple on the police range.

I would take a 44 special over a 45 ACP out of a revolver.

I believe that he meant that he used .44 special, rather than .44 magnum, in his revolver when competing at the target range.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#47]
It's actually a pretty silly question. If you want to be able to brag to everyone "Yeah, I tote this .44 MAGNUM around and it'll just blow a bad guy to pieces"...then definitely .44 is the way to go. If you are actually serious aboutCCW against 2 legged assailants, then pick something that's an efficent gun-fighting caliber...i.e. .45 acp, .40 S&W, or 9 mm....The simple fact is that .44 mag platforms are very heavy and don't conceal as well as most of the .45 ACP platforms. If the platform is heavy, are your REALLY going to carry it EVERY day, 365 days/year?

So what's the real priority? Ego or protection?

Now, all the above goes away if you're worried about 4 legged critters that want to kill and eat you...for those you'll need every bit of power you can handle, but I don't get the impression that's the case. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#48]
.44 mag. was my weapon of choice for years however ended up being bad for my needs.

Could hit good with the first shot and follow ones got worse with each one. Rapid fire and things go down hill fast.

.45 can do a lot of rapid firing and stay on target so that is the path followed.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#49]
To all of those who immediately dismiss the .44 Magnum as a carry round, I suggest you read "Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights" by Jim Cirillo.

He used a .44 Magnum with great success while surviving numerous gunfights on the NYPD Stakeout squad, and goes in depth regarding his selection of weapon and load.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. you mean except the part where a .38 Model 642 with a 1.9" barrel launches a 135 Speer Gold Dot at 900 fps resulting in good expansion and penetration which is far better than anything you can do with any .380?  (http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top