Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2012 8:55:18 PM EDT
Hi, I recently picked up a m&p 9mm. I really like it and am adapting to the double action trigger. I put an apex sear in it and it removed almost all pre travel. Since I am coming from the 1911 platform I automatically switched to the small backstrap but I have noticed that the m&ps trigger breaks much farther back that a 1911 trigger. Coincidentally, this places my trigger finger too far on the trigger when it breaks. In other words, when the trigger is at its break point my pointer finger isnt flat against the trigger, its slanted at an angle. I started messing around with the larger grips and found that my trigger pull is much better with the larger backstrap. I find this surprising because I dont have large hands. So, should I choose a backstrap based on comfort or should I choose it based on how it orients my finger on the trigger?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Take it to the range first and see how you do and then start changing things.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Take it to the range first and see how you do and then start changing things.

What he said, I was in the same boat and just playing around with the different back straps at the house makes you think that one feels better and works better than the other. When you go to the range and you start putting steel on target you will find that you will end up swapping out the back strap you though was good to go for you at the house. If you can try shooting with all three of them and try doing some drills with the different back straps and see how you are shooting and where your rounds are hitting with each back strap and that will let you know which one is the right one for you to be using.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 3:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, will do. I guess what im asking is what criteria do you use to pick your backstrap? Is it comfort? Control placement? or trigger manipulation? In a perfect world I would just make my m&p's trigger break sooner.
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ideally, you want the trigger finger to cross the trigger at a right angle as viewed from above.  That's to minimize the chance of pressing the trigger to one side or the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top