Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2011 4:22:29 AM EDT
I'm looking for a CCW for when I can't carry my G27.

I've been looking at the 638 S&W J-frame.

I can fit the gun in most of my jeans pockets, but I don't know about my summer clothes.

My other alternative is an LCP, but I don't wan't to settle for the 380.

Will a j-frame work with summer clothes and be as concealable as the LCP?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it is as concealable as a LCP but I'm not sure about that one.

I have quite a few snub-nosed revolvers and the closest to yours is a Model 442.

You can put it in you pocket but it's not as good as something smaller like my Seecamp in .32 acp.

But you can put it in your summer shorts IMHO (especially if you have cargo pockets).
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 4:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both a LCP and a 642 no-lock for my back up guns.

I usually carry the LCP in a pocket holster, or the 642 in an ankle holster (which the old one I've been using is starting to fall apart, and since I only have one other that laces into a duty boot, I'm going to get another; looking at the Galco Ankle Lite). Did get a Serpa for it, but I am more hesitant on a pocket holster. May get one in the future to have the option, but I don't think I'll carry it.

Main reason is the thickness of the cylinder. Comparing it to the LCP, it is about 0.5 inch thicker. Knowing someone will come in and say how they pocket carry a Glock 26/27... that is great for them. Putting the J-frame in my pocket is a little uncomfortable for me. My LCP in the pocket holster, which includes an extra magazine, is like tossing a wallet in my pocket. I just purchased a M&P40C, which I may see how that works in pocket carry, but I am not holding my breath with it (looked into it, and most say it is too much; might get an ankle holster and rotate it with the J-frame).

To be honest, I wouldn't mind an ankle holster for my LCP. I think with how thin and light it is, it would be a nice ankle gun. Only problem is I have CT grips on it, and do not want to go with a generic ankle holster (if an Ankle Lite was made for that setup, I'd be all over it).

And even though I don't pocket carry my J-frame, I would recommend an internal hammer model for that (442 or 642). Pocket carry does result in lint getting on the gun, and a sealed action does make cleaning a little easier.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 4:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry it in shorts pockets in the summer with no issue.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The lcp is definitley going to be more concealable than a j-frame.  The cylinder is as wide as many fullsize pistols.  The j-frame is going to be more reliable and will shoot a more powerful round with +p ammo than the lcp.  Your reloads will be faster with the lcp.  Magazines are much better than revolver speedloaders.

I carry a j-frame iwb in the Summer with a loose fit tshirt, and have no issues.  Pocket carry shouldn't be an issue with mens sized pockets.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry my J-Frame in a front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I also carry it appendix position  in the waist band (AIWB). I used to own a Kel-Tec P3AT, but sold it. For me, the extra weight / size of the revolver is negligible compared with the risk of carrying a questionable round in an ammo finnicky gun. I can understand the urge to carry a more comfortable gun, but just prefer the reliability of a revolver.
  The J-frame will not conceal as easily as an LCP or similar gun, but it still hides very, very easily. In cargo shorts with a good pocket holster it carries just fine. AIWB works very well too in summer with shorts / belt and a t-shirt. It's also a good position to protect the gun and quicker to draw than pocket carry.

I also own a G26 and the J-Frame perfectly fills the role of being the easier to carry gun when the G26 is awkward. Friends don't let friends carry mouse-guns.

-JC
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the whole selection of pocket guns,

G26-needs huge pocket and is really too heavy for anything but a belt holster
Kel tec 32  Tiny  low power and very hard to hit with
Ruger lcp  flat still pretty low power and not easy to hit well with
colt mustang-I can hit fairly well with this but it is still only 380 and this gun (all steel) is surprisingly heavy after 1/2 a day

642 fits pretty well in all but the tightest of pockets and the power with premium hollow points is solid and proved. My ability to crack off multiple
     well aimed shots gives me the feeling that most of the other pocket guns are just toys. Although a bit wide I have confidence that with a pocket holster
     very few folks would suspect I have a firearm. The weight of the all steel snub guns leave me looking for a place to ditch them by coffee time but the alloy
     642 is a all day no worry carry for me. I also like the ability of the hammer less revolver to go in a jacket pocket with the hand on it ready to shoot thru the pocket if necessary

No two people are alike and mode of carry ,style of dress,climate,size of hands all play into the end decision but I believe the alloy snub gun is a classic choice
that works well on many levels.

I have shot some of the newer small 9mm single stacks and am not impressed. I find them concealable but a bit heavy with the big problem for me being
the small grip that really hurts my ability to hit much with it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
A J frame is not really any smaller than a 27

That said they are nice little guns
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have both a LCP and a 642 no-lock for my back up guns.

I usually carry the LCP in a pocket holster, or the 642 in an ankle holster (which the old one I've been using is starting to fall apart, and since I only have one other that laces into a duty boot, I'm going to get another; looking at the Galco Ankle Lite). Did get a Serpa for it, but I am more hesitant on a pocket holster. May get one in the future to have the option, but I don't think I'll carry it.

Main reason is the thickness of the cylinder. Comparing it to the LCP, it is about 0.5 inch thicker. Knowing someone will come in and say how they pocket carry a Glock 26/27... that is great for them. Putting the J-frame in my pocket is a little uncomfortable for me. My LCP in the pocket holster, which includes an extra magazine, is like tossing a wallet in my pocket. I just purchased a M&P40C, which I may see how that works in pocket carry, but I am not holding my breath with it (looked into it, and most say it is too much; might get an ankle holster and rotate it with the J-frame).

To be honest, I wouldn't mind an ankle holster for my LCP. I think with how thin and light it is, it would be a nice ankle gun. Only problem is I have CT grips on it, and do not want to go with a generic ankle holster (if an Ankle Lite was made for that setup, I'd be all over it).

And even though I don't pocket carry my J-frame, I would recommend an internal hammer model for that (442 or 642). Pocket carry does result in lint getting on the gun, and a sealed action does make cleaning a little easier.

This is my experience as well. I traded my P3AT for a 642 a while back. The 642 is larger and heavier than the .380. I usually drop it in my front shorts pocket, but even then it makes my shorts sag and sticks out quite a bit through the material. The tradeoff is better accuracy and greater reliability. I think I'm gonna try an appendix IWB holster for the 642 and see if that carries better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 11:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
So if I get the j-frame, will I end up buying the LCP or will the j-frame be able to go with me 100% of the time?
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So if I get the j-frame, will I end up buying the LCP or will the j-frame be able to go with me 100% of the time?

If you wear looser fit clothing with medium size pockets, the j-frame will be fine for any occasion.  If you wear tight shirts and skinny jeans, the lcp will be better for you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry my 442 in a in the waistband holster with a loose fitting shirt over it.  Still summer casual and light enough not to drop my shorts.
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to make sure you can carry it 100% of the time during summer, I'd go with the LCP. The .30 out there now isn't to bad. I with 4 layers of Denim, plus 16.5" of ballistic gel, with full expansion using the Hornady Critical defense and XTP round. It was shot out of a Sig P238 but I'm sure it's not much different, if at all from an LCP when it comes to testing. Not too bad IMHO. The box even has an LCP on it.

I use these rounds in my P3AT and P238 with zero problem. My Dad uses them in his LCP and has told me that he's had no issues as well.

I know it's kind of a backyard test but still impressive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15fRBdo-38

Critical Defense from a Bersa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9M6cZGd18&feature=related

Even the Ranger Ts do pretty well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpHOB132ak&feature=relmfu
Link Posted: 11/25/2011 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really hard for anyone to make that call...

In regard to my post, I very rarely carry just the LCP or J-frame. Sometimes I don't carry either, just what I'm issued. If I'm rushing, I may toss the LCP in my pocket. The M&P40C is hopefully going to be the new gun that fills that gap... not due to stopping power, but grip size (I can manage something larger... just not in the pocket). I bought the J-frame first, then picked up the LCP. It wasn't due to weight, but because I want options (even though I did realize the difference after I got it).

If you can manage, I'd hold off and check out the Beretta Nano. There are reviews on SIG Forum and BerettaForum (haven't check to see if the BerettaForum one was completed), and many people feel it is what most wanted Glock to do (single-stack 9mm). Will the LCP or J-frame do you wrong? No, but I wouldn't suggest in making the investment when there is another possibility that may be better. I'm not selling either of my backup guns anytime soon...
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 12:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 2:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I carry my J-Frame in a front pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I also carry it appendix position  in the waist band (AIWB). I used to own a Kel-Tec P3AT, but sold it. For me, the extra weight / size of the revolver is negligible compared with the risk of carrying a questionable round in an ammo finnicky gun. I can understand the urge to carry a more comfortable gun, but just prefer the reliability of a revolver.
  The J-frame will not conceal as easily as an LCP or similar gun, but it still hides very, very easily. In cargo shorts with a good pocket holster it carries just fine. AIWB works very well too in summer with shorts / belt and a t-shirt. It's also a good position to protect the gun and quicker to draw than pocket carry.

I also own a G26 and the J-Frame perfectly fills the role of being the easier to carry gun when the G26 is awkward. Friends don't let friends carry mouse-guns.

-JC

I carry I carry my 340PD in a Nemesis as well. Works great, and as said above, hides very well in cargo shorts.  I used to carry my P232 in the appendix position IWB, but have come to prefer my J frame up front.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Diamondback DB9
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
i carry at least a 642 in any sort of clothing
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 5:29:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a G26, rarely carried it.  I have a S&W M&P 9C that I rarely carry.  I have a S&W 638 that goes everywhere with me but to work.  A carry gun that never gets carried is worthless.  Get the 638 or LCR.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I try to carry at least a Walther PPS or Glock 27 and a spare mag off duty.

In the hot summer it isn't always practical.

Back and forth to the gym and very hot days I go with a S&W 342 no lock in a FIST 1-K IWB.

Tucks right in. Retains the gun with a nice click. Wont drag your shorts down.

I use the same 342 in a 5-Shot Leather ankle rig for a BUG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2011 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I own and carry a Glock 27, LCP 380, S&W j frame (model 637, I like a hammer for single action shot if needed). With these three options I am never without a carry option. Buy what you will carry all of the time. I can carry a LCP everywhere no matter what the dress mode is. I usually carry a 38 in a pocket holster in the summer, and the Glock 27 in the winter with a cover garment. But you never have to go unarmed with a LCP available. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 7:21:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I pocket carry my 637 J-frame every summer day in my cargo shorts. I sold a Kel-Tec Pf-9 and bought the S&W. I really don't notice a difference between the two in ease of carry. I do know that the snubbie will go bang every time, unlike my old KT.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I've tried the Kel-Tec, Ruger and Diamondback 380's.  My hands are too big/thick and I get bit by the slide on all of them.

My solution is a J frame in a Mika pocket holster, I have two a 337 and a 642.  I prefer the 337, it's a bit lighter and I prefer the guns with a conventional hammer. Most folks prefer the 642.

Get a couple of speed strips for reloads.

Link Posted: 11/28/2011 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#24]
342 owner here. To reduce bulk I replaced the factory thick grips with the old style 'splinter' grips and a Tyler t-grip adapter. Even lower bulk than before and that combo is unobtrusive enough I've literally forgotten I was carrying it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2011 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#25]
another 642 owner here. I have a PPS and a M&P. The 642 is my favorite to carry.
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I live in SWFL   and it is hot!

I wear cargo shorts and a LTshirt

Main carry 24/7

SIG P229  IWB Holster BladeTech IDP SD & spare mag in left leg cargo pocket

S&W AW 637  Left front pocket  BlackHawk pocket holster spare reload

Surefire E2d /Cellphone etc

I plain jframe is easy to pack
I would look into the hammerless S&W J frames 640,442,etc
Or the 649 type
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 4:44:15 AM EDT
[#27]
S&W stopped making the model 342, didn't they?
Link Posted: 11/29/2011 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes the 342 is a .38spl only j-frame with a Ti cylinder and Al frame. Mine weighs less than 10oz unloaded. Oh yeah, no nanny lock too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top