Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2011 3:17:58 PM EDT
I took my new LCP out today for the first time. I bought 100 rounds of Winchester 95gr. FMJ. This is the ammo I planned on keeping in the pistol so I wanted to make sure it would function properly. In the 100 rounds I fired, I had 18-20 failure to extract. I got through maybe 1 magazine without any problems but it averaged 1-2 stoppages per 6 rounds. This was a shock to me as I have never heard of a gun having this much trouble out of the box, other than something that red jacket put together. It seems like the extractor doesn't even grab the case.
All of the failure to extracts looked like this:

Any clue why this is happening? I really hate to send this thing in for repair after only having it for 24 hours.
My new Glock 19 Gen 3 ran like a sewing machine though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discouraging to say the least. I got an LCP when they first came out. Never a problem. Did the recall thing. Absolutely never a malfunction. I throw it in my pocket when I can't carry a Glock 26 or an LCR. I will keep it until it starts acting like yours.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a bummer. I got the LC about 3 weeks ago, and it has a LOT of rough spots that need working thru. I am not really thrilled with it, but I am trying real hard to like it. (I am trying exactly $475 out the door to like it.... )So far, the trigger is the worst of it. It feels rough, trigger is getting better after nearly 250 rounds and 3 massive oilings/ cleanings.
My thoughts on your extraction issue: 1st, get a bore brush that you don't mind wearing out. Lug it into a drill and with oil, polish the chamber a bit at relatively low speed. If the chamber is a bit rough, this will clean it up in there quickly. (I have done this on MANY of my guns, especially my duck guns, which get flooded in marshy semi salt water.) Next is to really oil and work over the extractor. Liberally dose that thing and work it to death. Simulate 200 rounds of extraction and keep adding a drop of oil or 2 every dozen workings.
Lastly, after reassembly; use a heavier round. Try some 124gr. ammo to see if it makes a difference. I have used 115, 124, 147 with no extractor issues.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Contact Ruger, mine and my friends have been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:17:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The only other LCP I have shot had these same exact problems. Hopefully it will work itself out in the next few hundred rounds. If not, Ruger will get it back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
tag, as i've been looking at an LCP as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had my LCP for a few months. It seems to eat anything I throw at it. But problems like your's are all over the Web. I would call Ruger. I've had good luck with their customer svc. in the past on unrelated issues.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is a bummer. I got the LC about 3 weeks ago, and it has a LOT of rough spots that need working thru. I am not really thrilled with it, but I am trying real hard to like it. (I am trying exactly $475 out the door to like it.... )So far, the trigger is the worst of it. It feels rough, trigger is getting better after nearly 250 rounds and 3 massive oilings/ cleanings.
My thoughts on your extraction issue: 1st, get a bore brush that you don't mind wearing out. Lug it into a drill and with oil, polish the chamber a bit at relatively low speed. If the chamber is a bit rough, this will clean it up in there quickly. (I have done this on MANY of my guns, especially my duck guns, which get flooded in marshy semi salt water.) Next is to really oil and work over the extractor. Liberally dose that thing and work it to death. Simulate 200 rounds of extraction and keep adding a drop of oil or 2 every dozen workings.
Lastly, after reassembly; use a heavier round. Try some 124gr. ammo to see if it makes a difference. I have used 115, 124, 147 with no extractor issues.

Hope this helps.

$475?

I paid $279 new for mine a few months ago.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Any chance you did NOT thoroughly clean your new pistol before you shot it?

If Yes, send it back to Ruger now. It is not your job to do their QC.

I own quite a few Rugers all acquired new over time. Had to send one back - a Vaquero .45 birdshead..had it back in 10 days or so and still GTG years later.

Ruger builds good stuff and stand behind their products.

Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I did clean and inspect the pistol before firing. I applied a moderate ammount of CLP to the rails and barrel contact points. It will most likely be going back to Ruger.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
You need to take the variable out. Try different ammo and see what happens.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#11]
If it wont shoot WWB FMJ, I dont want it. Thats just about all I can purchase locally and dont want to have a gun thats ammo specific. I want the problem fixed.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 7:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps.

$475?

He's talking about an LC-9, not an LCP.  Look at the bullet weights he references.

Regardless, that price is still $125 - $150 high.

OP - Send it back, they'll fix it properly without you spending $$$$ on ammo.
Mine's been flawless and I say you've got a fundamental problem with yours.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
In my experience it's better to send a poorly running new pistol back to the manufacturer rather than to try to solve the problem yourself.

I'd call Ruger and see how  they want to handle it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If it wont shoot WWB FMJ, I dont want it. Thats just about all I can purchase locally and dont want to have a gun thats ammo specific. I want the problem fixed.

Might shoot a box of hot ammo through it to help break it in, then the WWB shouldn't be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#15]

$475? Yeah.....

Welcome to crying for those of us in Kalifornia!!! With DROS, updated handgun permit fee, tax, etc. you are looking at a solid $75 plus over the initial cost of a pistol. I have not seen an LC9 for less than $360 here. Add on the aforementioned $75, and you are up there over 4 bills.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#16]
My LCP has been flawless through about 750 rounds of assorted .380 ammo. It just doesn't care what I feed it.
Clint
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My LCP has been flawless through about 750 rounds of assorted .380 ammo. It just doesn't care what I feed it.
Clint

+1. MIne also.  Call Ruger, they will make it right.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The only other LCP I have shot had these same exact problems. Hopefully it will work itself out in the next few hundred rounds. If not, Ruger will get it back.

You have incredibly bad luck.

Mine and a few friends who have one have been flawless.  Even during a so called "break-in" period.

At some point, you have to ask yourself "What am I doing to make these guns malfunction?"
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#19]
My LCP malfunctioned like this through the first 300 rounds. I put another 100 rounds through it tonight and it has gotten much better. Keep shooting yours, it just needs to break in.

Accountant
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
My LCP has also been flawless with a few different types of .380 loads.  Both before and after Recall.  I'd contact Ruger if it keeps it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top