Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted: how did you get a German frame made sig 229?

I believe all of the frames are made in Germany.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duh. My bad. I'll start over and get back to you. Should get to 2K by Jan. 1.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Disclaimer: The pistol was cleaned every 300 or so rounds, so it was not a torture test so much as a reliability test.

Quoted:

RULES

* The pistol cannot be cleaned, lubricated, or maintained in any way during the entire 2,000 round test period.

It's cool and all your gun has 6k through it without a failure, but that's not exactly the point of this thread.

Cool.  I did my 92FS and it’s in here somewhere. Had three failures during the 2k challenge. The gun has 10k+ through it and those have been the only three failures it’s ever had. Love that gun.

I'd be interested in seeing how long the frame on the pistol lasted. It's a SS model or normal alluminum frame?

Aluminum frame... plain Jane, run of the mill 92FS.  11,150 total rounds to date. I think the 92FS frame is good for 30k+. It was the 96's frames that had fatiguing issues because of the 40, I believe.  The 96A1 fixes that.

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="ue8_uN0OIVs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

My embed skills are
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted: how did you get a German frame made sig 229?

I believe all of the frames are made in Germany.

I bought a P229 a year or 2  after they came out in the  mid 90`s
They all had the German stamp on the frame and a better USA made SS slide

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Pistol: Glock 34 Gen 4
Caliber: 9x19mm
Ammunition: 115 gr WPA Wolf, Win 124 gr NANT
Dates of testing: Sept 23, 2011 to March 21, 2012
Total rounds fired: 2,040
Stoppages: zero
Malfunctions: zero
Breakages: zero

Notes:
Has a total of 2935 rds through it. over 95% of ammo shot was WPA.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Notes:

Any problems with casings to the face?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Pistol: Steyr M40-A1
Caliber: 40
Ammunition:

Blazer Alum - 1450 (180g)
Federal – 450 (180g)
Blazer Alum – 100 (165g)

Dates of testing: 12/18/2011 thru 3/31/2012
Total rounds fired: 2,000 (4,000 thru gun total)
Stoppages: 1*
Malfunctions: 2*
Breakages: 0

I bought this M40-A1 back in 2007 when they were dirt cheap. This gun cost $360, or $390 with shipping and FFL fees included.  I honestly believe these are the most underrated guns out there, especially at that price. The sights are cool as hell and easy to adapt to, the grip is good, the trigger reset is very short, arguably shorter than Glocks, it has a very low bore-axis, and the take-down is very simple and does not require a trigger pull. For the whole test I use three, OEM, 12 round magazines.

The gun has 4,000 rounds through it and has been almost flawless... the only two failures came in this test at about the 1,500 round mark with Wal-Mart Federal, which is the worst ammo out there (other than steel stuff), IMO.

*Malfunctions were one failure to extract, and one failure to completely feed (gun still in battery by ~.25" - a smack of the back of the slide and it was off and running again). Both with Federal.
**The stoppage was due to a bad round. The bullet was recessed into the case and the gun got stuck in battery.

I did everything with this gun as I did with the others:

- Alternated ammo in magazines.
- Multiple times I hand loaded a round into the chamber from the top with the slide open, then inserted a fully loaded mag to make sure it would cycle. It did.
- I tried to limp wrist it to the point where I was only using two fingers to shoot the gun: my thumb wrapped around the back and my trigger finger.  
- I shot it at 0* and 180* (homeboy style, both sides).

Dirtyness:

And my Steyr with my pseudo-Steyr:

And gun number eight is through the test.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Notes:

Any problems with casings to the face?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yes, until I changed the Extractor

My Gen 4 17/19 with the newest ejector have been great.

The 34 has the old 336 still.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm gonna be doing this test with my stock CZ P01 as soon as I start getting paid from my new job.

I might be able to pull it off in one day, but probably not.

Seems I'll be the first one to do it with a metal CZ

EDIT:  Also from my future Taurus 94 snub, which could turn out stereotypically bad, or surprisingly good.

Does the wiping of fouling include the cylinder face on revolvers?

Well, almost a year later, and still no real test yet for my CZ.  It's made it past 1000 with only 1 live round stovepipe so far, but it's been cleaned in between range trips so that doesn't count.

The Taurus 94 on the other hand, turned out stereotypically bad.  About 250 rounds into the test, the already bad double action trigger completely quit on me.  I couldn't pull the trigger even with both index fingers.  Firing single action still worked fine, so the rest of that brick(Federal 550rd) was shot in single.  That night after finishing up at the range, I noticed that all 9 cylinder notches had a substantial raised burr on the inside edge, locking the pawl inside, and jamming the gun.   Seemingly due to the timing of the SA hammer cock vs. the DA, it had no effect on the manual hammer cock.  

So, I'll probably be sending it back to Taurus when I get back Stateside next year (got a job overseas).

Also, when I get back home, I plan on performing the test with my CZ, as well as a few others, namely a Ruger SR-1911, EAA Witness Hunter 10mm, and possibly a Kel-Tec P11 and DE .44mag.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pistol: Steyr M40-A1

sweet man, these have always intrigued me, glad to see they can throw down
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:29:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 3:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting to see the Steyr do that well. I've never heard much about them other than the safety problem some of the earlier ones had.

From what I've read, these "second" gen ones (first gen I would think are the ones with the odd looking, worthless rail) have been pretty solid.  Some of the earlier second gen guns had extraction issues similar to the first batch G4 9mm Glocks. Either way, I decided to try one out and either I got lucky or got the newer extractor on it because it's been very solid and reliable for me. Again, 4,000 rounds and only the two failures during the test.  Not too bad for under $400 NIB OTD.  I like these odd-ball type guns.  I can only comment on my own and have been happy with it.

Their biggest issue IMO is marketing and aftermarket support... meaning there is basically zero of either.  Glock pretty much has both of those nailed down pretty well.

Oh, I forgot to mention in the original post but this gun did give me some trigger sting. I actually got a blister on my trigger finger after about 400 rounds in one sitting.  If I was planning on shooting 400+ rounds in one session, I would put a Band-Aid on my finger before going out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Pistol: STI Eagle 5" w/ bushing barrel
Caliber: 9mm
Ammunition: 147gr. Speer Lawman (1000), 115gr. Speer Lawman (500), 115gr. Blazer (100), 115gr. MFS (50), 145gr. Federal Hydro Shock (100), 115gr. Wolf (387)
Dates of testing: 08/04/11 - 04/06/12
Total rounds fired: 2137
Stoppages: 3
Malfunctions: 0
Notes: Cycle was noticeably and progressively slower the last 50rds or so.  The stoppages were on the last 3rds. 2 failures to return to battery and the last failed to feed so I stopped the test. The range is gravel/sand and the Dawson Precision mags didn't care.  The Speer shot amazingly clean.  The Wolf sure balanced that out.  I used some gun grease that, although it stayed wet looking, I think really collected dirt and just gummed things up more than it helped.  I don't remember the brand but it looked a lot like anti-seize. It was pita to to clean.  The hardest part of the test was making sure my 1960's Jarhead old man didn't give me an ass-whuppin' for dirty guns.
Crappy cell phone pics taken at the range on the tailgate of my truck:
I wiped the exterior prior to putting it in the case then decided to go ahead and do the pics.

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I will begin the challenge tomorrow with my EDC Glock 19 Gen 3.

I cleaned and lubricated it today as well as taking "before" pictures.

I fire about 50 rounds a day or every other day so I'll be posting an update within the next 2 months.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
No way I could do this to any of my guns.  

I couldn't stand leaving them that dirty.  I'm no OCD but I shoot 100 or so rounds then I clean the carbon off, bore snake the bbl and oil all frictonable surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No way I could do this to any of my guns.  

I couldn't stand leaving them that dirty.  I'm no OCD but I shoot 100 or so rounds then I clean the carbon off, bore snake the bbl and oil all frictonable surfaces.

Sounds pretty OCD to me. It's really not necessary, but if it helps you sleep at night, by all means do it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have an M&P 9 that hasn't had a single round fired yet. Hmmmm.....
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
pictures should be a requirement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Pistol: Glock 19 Gen3 Talo Edition
Ammunition: 115 grain Monarch (brass and steel case), Reloads, Tula (steel case), UMC
Dates of testing: October 2011 - June 2012
Total rounds fired: 2,000

Great gun. Accuracy was great and at no time did I notice any trouble cycling. When I shot the Tula, I noticed that I would feel different amounts of recoil between magazines and the ejection pattern was very erratic. I even had one case land balanced on top of the slide. Never caused any malfunctions other than some cases to the face, but I dont plan to buy anymore Tula for it.

This is my carry gun and doing this was a good excuse to put a lot more practice in. I also have a CZ75b Compact that is almost done as well. Will post when finished.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Pistol: Sig Pro 2022
Caliber: 9mm
Ammunition: 1560 X 115gr Federal (walmart stuff), 500 X 115gr Tula
Dates of testing: 4/12 - 6/3/12
Total rounds fired: 2,060
Stoppages: 0
Malfunctions: 0

I finished a second 2,000 round challenge with my SP2022 today.  It was a fun day shooting.  It started raining right when I showed up, but I decided to stay and shoot the last 500 rounds of the test anyway.  The last 500 rounds were fired by a soaked guy, from a soaked gun, loading soaked ammo, from soaked mags.  I was soaked.  I managed to get a few blurry phone pictures during the lulls in the rain as well as a short video.

Shooting spot: Left Hand Canyon, CO

Gun:

Some blurry pictures of dirtyness (the rain actually washed some of the powder off the muzzle area).

Video:

The gun ran great today.  It doesn't seem sluggish at all.  I'm going to keep shooting it and see if I can hit 5,000 this time.  I have 3 cases of 9mm showing up next week that were intended for a magpul class this summer, but I have a feeling they'll find their way into my range bag sooner than that

ETA: Up to 2,260 with no stoppages now.  I should be adding 200-300 a week.  It lives in a ziplock bag now to keep my range bag from getting dirty  I also threw my TLR-1 on there since I replaced it with a X-300 on my P226.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice to see another Sig make it through.  Keep us updated on the 5k results!
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:04:50 PM EDT
[#25]
no rugers... guess I'll have to make mine the first in here. I'll give it a good scrub and something a little longer lasting than break free clp and get shooting may be a while before i reach 2k though
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top