Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2016 12:46:39 AM EDT
Specifically, I'm looking at the ones at AIM Surplus.

I'm thinking that it might become part of my carry rotation if it runs properly.

I imagine that I'll likely need to change out a bunch of springs for reliability's sake, and maybe a .40 recoil spring.

Is there anything else that I'll need to know?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This is just my opinion and I'm no expert, but the one I bought has become a money pit. I'm almost up to the price of a brand new BHP.

Yes, you may need new springs. With all of them, you are most likely going to want to or have to, however you look at it, install new sights front and rear. This will probably require milling depending on what type of sights you want.

Because the triggers are bad on almost all BHPs, you'll want to remove the magazine disconnect to (hopefully) improve the trigger.

Many folks replace the very small/nearly unusable safety lever with an extended safety.

You can price all of this for yourself, but you're already in some pretty good bucks just to get it up to shooting standards.

Then, if yours is like mine, the trigger was so bad, now I have to install a new hammer and sear.

Keep in mind that you will never get back what you put into it.

My advice, find a BHP with everything you want already installed. Let the guy that did all the work and spent the money do it for you.

Just my opinion, use it or lose it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is just my opinion and I'm no expert, but the one I bought has become a money pit. I'm almost up to the price of a brand new BHP.
From what I remember of your previous posts you were in a bit of a hurry to buy those used HP's.........and that is never a good idea.

Yes, you may need new springs. With all of them, you are most likely going to want to or have to, however you look at it, install new sights front and rear. This will probably require milling depending on what type of sights you want.
MkIII's already have dovetails milled in the front and rear of the slide.

Because the triggers are bad on almost all BHPs, you'll want to remove the magazine disconnect to (hopefully) improve the trigger.
BHP triggers aren't "bad"........it's a combat gun, not a 1911 bullseye gun with a $1,000 worth of customization. And yes, removal of the magazine disconnect does improve the trigger.

Many folks replace the very small/nearly unusable safety lever with an extended safety.
MkIII's don't have the small safety lever.

You can price all of this for yourself, but you're already in some pretty good bucks just to get it up to shooting standards.

Then, if yours is like mine, the trigger was so bad, now I have to install a new hammer and sear.
Oh brother.

That's true on 99.9% of supposed "custom work" done on any firearm.

My advice, find a BHP with everything you want already installed. Let the guy that did all the work and spent the money do it for you.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, how hard are they to work on? I've spent plenty of time under the hood of Sigs and M&Ps. How does the BHP compare?

Now that I think of it, my go-to carry loads in 9mm are the 124gr +p Gold Dot and the 127gr +P+ Ranger TA. I know the +P+ is probably not a great idea, but will the BHP be okay with the +p with the .40 recoil spring?
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up an ex-Israeli MKIII.
Only replaced the recoil spring and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I got two,  stripped them,  removed the mag disconnect , cleaned them, put trijicons on one. They run fine.  Didn't have to do any of the BS that one poster above said.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Dogtown, good points, but buyer beware, know what you are purchasing.

I had to have the Novak sights cut in mine which cost more.

If you can do some of this stuff yourself, it's cheaper.

When I removed the mag disconnect, the trigger got worse and realized it needed a hammer and sear.

You can avoid reality but some of these are lemons and that's what I got.

Some sellers will pretty them up with a new finish, but mechanically they are not what they are represented to be.

"Surplus" seems to be a license to sell it as a sub-standard weapon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
My CDI MK III had the small single side safety. I knew this when I bought it, I changed it out and I'm happy with the gun. Someone mentioned the MK IIIs don't have the small safety so I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My CDI MK III had the small single side safety. I knew this when I bought it, I changed it out and I'm happy with the gun. Someone mentioned the MK IIIs don't have the small safety so I'm just saying.
View Quote

Mine did too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It was probably a Mk III slide on a Mk II frame. Lot of the CDI's had replacement slides.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was probably a Mk III slide on a Mk II frame. Lot of the CDI's had replacement slides.

This.
Those Israeli imports have quite a few guns that had been messed with....either by the Israeli's or the importer.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Found this spring kit (on the 1911forum Browning section) from a couple new guys in the parts industry.  Ordered one so far and it's a great deal for $25

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Found this spring kit (on the 1911forum Browning section) from a couple new guys in the parts industry.  Ordered one so far and it's a great deal for $25

http://bhspringsolutions.com/home/52-hi-power-spring-kit.html

http://bhspringsolutions.com/212-thickbox_default/hi-power-spring-kit.jpg

View Quote

They also sell a Spring Tool specifically for the BHP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, all numbers match, and not because of an electro pencil.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've also seen Israeli MkIIIs with matching frame/slide sn's where somebody had inexplicably fitted the older small safety.  I guess if you carry Condition 3, the small safety is a bit less obtrusive.

As for the pistols, all of mine have been good shooters.  One needed a new extractor spring and one had bad sear/hammer engagement that needed to be fixed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
As far as FN was concerned they put anything and everything into these Israel contract pistols. MkI, II and III parts overlapped and there are some strange looking factory original hybrid pistols out there but they are FN production and accepted nonetheless .  Civilian production is a different matter.  In short a true IDF pistol could be in damn near any configuration and be correct.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
This is not a placeholder for pictures.

I fent, and was hoping to have my front paws on it yesterday. THEN I realized that my FFL is at SHOT until Tuesday or Wednesday.

So, like I said, this is not a placeholder for pictures or a range report. Nuh-uh and no way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I fent, and was hoping to have my front paws on it yesterday. THEN I realized that my FFL is at SHOT until Tuesday or Wednesday.

So, like I said, this is not a placeholder for pictures or a range report. Nuh-uh and no way.
View Quote
Nice.  I really like my Hi-Power.  I paid about 475 for mine +150 for a refinish.  

edit for pic

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered one from Aim earlier this evening before seeing this thread. Live and learn I guess.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice.  I really like my Hi-Power.  I paid about 475 for mine +150 for a refinish.    

edit for pic

<a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/j0rdanj1/media/20141009_124232_zps8cc9a2fc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/j0rdanj1/20141009_124232_zps8cc9a2fc.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

edit for pic

<a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/j0rdanj1/media/20141009_124232_zps8cc9a2fc.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/j0rdanj1/20141009_124232_zps8cc9a2fc.jpg</a>

Who did that refinish? It's exactly what I want!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Do the AIM MKIII pistols have the firing pin safety? I have heard this was requested to not be put on Israeli pistols, but have not heard about the ones from AIM.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do the AIM MKIII pistols have the firing pin safety? I have heard this was requested to not be put on Israeli pistols, but have not heard about the ones from AIM.
View Quote

The AIM MkIIIs are all Israeli surplus so I would guess "No" since so far none of my Israelis (AIM or otherwise) have had it.  Technically, the model with the firing pin safety is the MkIIIS.  There is also a MkIIS.  Americans usually don't make the distinction since almost all of the U.S. commercial sales through FN and Browning were "S" models once FN developed the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

edit for pic

it was a local shop here in colorado.  Tungsten with black.  Mine was not in horrible shape but it looks way nicer now than It did.  The bonus was I had the shop remove the magazine safety when they disassembled for the refinish

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Well I have had mine for about a week. The mag safety lasted about 3 days, and the trigger is notably better.  The finish looks like it was drug through the Gaza Strip, and a buddy of mine and I are going to Cerakote it.  All and all I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#26]
My CDI Sales MKII as received

Ran great till I pulled the mag safety; trigger improved but now sometimes it wont reset (read: justification for a triggerjob)
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/AehvxKv.jpg
Ran great till I pulled the mag safety; trigger improved but now sometimes it wont reset (read: justification for a triggerjob)
View Quote

Wow, that's the best looking finish I've seen on any of the Israeli surplus Hi-Powers.  Everyone I've got has been paint over park and then drug down the driveway to boot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does that have an import mark?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Does that have an import mark?
View Quote

If it's from CDI it probably doesn't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:01:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

that thing is nice!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Its off getting sights/trigger job/better safety and a ring hammer. Almost a shame to cut it.

Almost.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its off getting sights/trigger job/better safety and a ring hammer. Almost a shame to cut it.

Almost.
View Quote

IS a shame......that's a nice looking MkII.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost.

I'll struggle with my guilt
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#34]
My MKIII

As Purchased:

After using a little fine steel wool to remove the ratty paint.
l
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, I finally figured out how to make Photobucket work. I think.

Anyway, the trigger is better than I'd expected. It feels like someone took a Glock and tried to clean it up a little. It's good enough that I'm not in a huge hurry to screw with the magazine safety just yet.

It ate a box of underpowered and inconsistent Freedom Munitions reman without a hitch. I haven't tried it on RA9TA or any other carry load yet. I'm thinking that I just might want to have a new recoil spring on hand before I test-drive +p ammo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top