Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/14/2015 8:53:59 PM EDT
$350.00.

It's a Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique Browning Patent Depose, I was told it is a 1979 MKII.

I find it difficult to rack the slide with the hammer down. I checked around and found that it uses a 32lb. hammer spring!

What's the reason for that? Can I go with a reduced power spring?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
$350.00.

It's a Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique Browning Patent Depose, I was told it is a 1979 MKII.

http://i.imgur.com/ArYn6aYm.jpg

I find it difficult to rack the slide with the hammer down. I checked around and found that it uses a 32lb. hammer spring!

View Quote

32pound?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

32pound?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$350.00.

http://i.imgur.com/ArYn6aYm.jpg

32pound?

From Wolff Springs Hammer springs (Mainsprings)

Reduced Power....: 24, 26, 28, & 30 Lb.
         Factory Standard..: 32 Lb.
         Extra Power.........: 34 Lb.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
My High Power has all factory springs and I don't think it is anymore difficult to rack than any other comparable 9mm.  

Does the slide move easily on the frame, any issues with the recoil spring?

By the way, that is a great deal for $350, you did well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My High Power has all factory springs and I don't think it is anymore difficult to rack than any other comparable 9mm.  

Does the slide move easily on the frame, any issues with the recoil spring?

By the way, that is a great deal for $350, you did well.
View Quote

Yes, slide moves easily on frame

I have a Sig P228 on the desk with the Hi Power and it is way easier to rack the slide with the hammer down on the Sig.

Hammer back on the Hi power and it feels fine but it's damn difficult hammer down.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Browning .40 Hi Power. It's a real bitch to rack the slide with the hammer down. My 9mm is easy.

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
The 32# spring is a fairly recent development for the HP; I believe it was to ensure reliable ignition of some specific military primers, IIRC.

You can usually go much lower, but may want to go to a heavier recoil spring or square-bottomed firing pin stop to minimize the battering to the frame that can come with a very low hammer spring.

Larry
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 32# spring is a fairly recent development for the HP; I believe it was to ensure reliable ignition of some specific military primers, IIRC.

You can usually go much lower, but may want to go to a heavier recoil spring or square-bottomed firing pin stop to minimize the battering to the frame that can come with a very low hammer spring.

Larry
View Quote

I noticed Cylinder&Slide provides a 24lb. hammer spring and reduced power firing pin spring in their trigger kit.

I may try that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$350.00.

It's a Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique Browning Patent Depose, I was told it is a 1979 MKII....
View Quote

Whoever told you it was a MKII doesnt know much about HP's.
MKII's will have rib on top of the slide running from rear sight to front, front sight integral with slide, a different rearsight, and a drain hole at the muzzle end of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the family...
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

MKII's will have rib on top of the slide running from rear sight to front, front sight integral with slide, a different rearsight, and a drain hole at the muzzle end of the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$350.00.

It's a Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique Browning Patent Depose, I was told it is a 1979 MKII....

So what do I have????
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome to the family...
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So what do I have????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$350.00.

So what do I have????

It looks like a Standard, Model of 1973. FN often referred to these as the "Vigilante".
What is the serial#? (you can xxx out the last three digits)

BTW..........you got a very good deal @ $350.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It looks like a Standard, Model of 1973. FN often referred to these as the "Vigilante".

View Quote

215RN28XXX
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

215RN28XXX
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

215RN28XXX

215 prefixes are often associated with military contract runs.
1979 is the correct DOM.

Does it have a lanyard ring or stud for the ring on the left side?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Originally Posted By DogtownTom

215RN28XXX

215 prefixes are often associated with military contract runs.
1979 is the correct DOM.

Does it have a lanyard ring or stud for the ring on the left side?
View Quote

No lanyard ring or stud but when I remove the grips there is a hole in the frame that I guess a stud or ring could go.

The pistol is in great condition with finish wear and no scratches or gouges. Matching serial numbers on the slide, frame and barrel.There is a J on the left front trigger and a 5 with what looks like a bomb. No import marks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice looking pistol & great deal OP. Im jelly!

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A heavy hammerspring was part of the design to slow rearward movement of the slide, and therefore help eleveate frame battering.
Spring weights are calculated into design for a reason, and changing hammer/recoil spring weights to a small degree won't usually create issues, but several pound differences will, eventually.
I have known of some guys that went with light HS, and got extensive frame battering.....so they "compensated" by going with heavy recoil springs, thinking that would slow down the slide...but not thinking about how that speeds up the slide "return to battery"....which eventually rounded off the locking lug recesses in the slide.

The person above was right on about what you have...it's not a mark II. You got a great deal though, and at that price you could sink $200 dollars into sending the slide off to Novaks for some real sights and still be below what its worth.

I have a Mk II, Mk III and a T series....as well as a CD HP and run of the mill FEG.....Which one is the most accurate with the best trigger??? That run of the mill FEG, after removing the mag disconnect. It has the lightest, crispest trigger I ever felt, as comparable to a Les Baer 1911.
Funny how sometimes the cheapest one in the stable runs the best.

Send that slide off for some Novaks, lose the mag safety, and throw some VZ (or at least Hogue wood) grips on it...then you'll be hooked.......and hit the gym, so you can rack the slide  (or just cock the hammer first)
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A heavy hammerspring was part of the design to slow rearward movement of the slide, and therefore help eleveate frame battering.
Spring weights are calculated into design for a reason, and changing hammer/recoil spring weights to a small degree won't usually create issues, but several pound differences will, eventually.
I have known of some guys that went with light HS, and got extensive frame battering.....so they "compensated" by going with heavy recoil springs, thinking that would slow down the slide...but not thinking about how that speeds up the slide "return to battery"....which eventually rounded off the locking lug recesses in the slide.

The person above was right on about what you have...it's not a mark II. You got a great deal though, and at that price you could sink $200 dollars into sending the slide off to Novaks for some real sights and still be below what its worth.

I have a Mk II, Mk III and a T series....as well as a CD HP and run of the mill FEG.....Which one is the most accurate with the best trigger??? That run of the mill FEG, after removing the mag disconnect. It has the lightest, crispest trigger I ever felt, as comparable to a Les Baer 1911.
Funny how sometimes the cheapest one in the stable runs the best.

Send that slide off for some Novaks, loose the mag safety, and throw some VZ (or at least Hogue wood) grips on it...then you'll be hooked.......and hit the gym, so you can rack the slide  (or just cock the hammer first)
View Quote

If it's not a Mark II what is it?

Thanks for your input on springs and your points are well taken. I have arthritis and while I can handle my 1911's with no problem my recently purchased Sig P228 and this Hi Power were too difficult for me.

I removed the magazine safety when I cleaned, lubed and changed all the springs. The VZ's are on my list as well. When it comes to sights I like Heinie. My 1911's have Bo Mar or Heinie and I just put Heinie sights on the Sig 228 as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998.

1. Hi-Power Type:
2W5=40 S&W
245=9mm

2. Date of Manufacture is a two digit code
Z=1
Y=2
X=3
W=4
V=5
T=6
R=7
P=8
N=9
M=0

3. Serial Number beginning with 01001 at the start of each year

As someone else stated, I also believe I've read that a 215 prefix indicates a large contract run, and a lanyard hole also points to that. But double check to make sure it's not "245"...... regardless, its 1979 made, as the RN indicates.
What do you have???
It's an ** FN** Hipower.....not Browning "marked" HP. They are ALL made by FN in Belgium, and some are /were  made AND disitributed by FN for worldwide sales/contracts, and some are DISTRIBUTED by Browning here and a few other countries ....and MARKED for Browning. FN standardized the SN to jive with what Browning wanted in 75'...that is why you can date a FN distributed gun (such as yours) using Browning's SN data.

Its a strange, convoluted story of a company kind of competing with itself in the distribution arena.

Whatever sights you get will be a great improvement over those....they work well enough for "plinking" a few rounds through when you need a "nostalgia" fix...but they are not fun or conducive to good shooting, IMO.
getting the dovetail cuts for the sights you like will probably run more than the package deal that Novaks runs.....they include the machine work, sights and will even "zero" what they install if you give a detailed description of the POA/POI you have with the originals....and itgs a QUICK turnaround.
You should check around, maybe Heinie offers packages like that, also.
also, 1911 forum has a great BHP subforum.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998.

1. Hi-Power Type:
2W5=40 S&W
245=9mm

2. Date of Manufacture is a two digit code
Z=1
Y=2
X=3
W=4
V=5
T=6
R=7
P=8
N=9
M=0

3. Serial Number beginning with 01001 at the start of each year

As someone else stated, I also believe I've read that a 215 prefix indicates a large contract run, and a lanyard hole also points to that. But double check to make sure it's not "245"...... regardless, its 1979 made, as the RN indicates.

View Quote

I have the pistol on the desk beside me and it is definitely a 215 prefix.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I added more info to my post above.......now get it off the desk and out to the range.....go shoot it and report back!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I added more info to my post above.......now get it off the desk and out to the range.....go shoot it and report back!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't thank you enough for the info. I'll post a report after I shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it's not a Mark II what is it?
View Quote

As I posted above...........it's a Standard, Model of 1973. FN often referred to these as the "Vigilante".
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Dogtown Tom. You seem to know a lot about HPs. May be you can help me. I'm looking at two HPs on GB. The first (listing 498096073) is a FN engraved with "Browning Patent Depose" and has the serial number T184760 engraved on the barrel, slide, and on the frame above the trigger. Serial number indicates it is a 1967 mfg. The bluing looks very good and owner says it functions properly. The bidding is at $500. Does this gun sound legit? I've seen others that only have the serial numbers on the frame. Price seem about right? The second (listing 498222247) is engraved Browning Arms..... Made in Belgium and serial number has it dated as 1974. The bluing on this is only fair, but I plan on cerakoting or rebluing anyway. Owner says it functions properly. Bidding is at $300. Does this gun sound legit? Price seem about right? I do not want a clone or counterfeit, that's my main concern. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dogtown Tom. You seem to know a lot about HPs. May be you can help me. I'm looking at two HPs on GB. The first (listing 498096073) is a FN engraved with "Browning Patent Depose" and has the serial number T184760 engraved on the barrel, slide, and on the frame above the trigger. Serial number indicates it is a 1967 mfg. The bluing looks very good and owner says it functions properly. The bidding is at $500. Does this gun sound legit? I've seen others that only have the serial numbers on the frame. Price seem about right? The second (listing 498222247) is engraved Browning Arms..... Made in Belgium and serial number has it dated as 1974. The bluing on this is only fair, but I plan on cerakoting or rebluing anyway. Owner says it functions properly. Bidding is at $300. Does this gun sound legit? Price seem about right? I do not want a clone or counterfeit, that's my main concern. Thanks!
View Quote

As far as "legit", both a genuine FN Hi Powers.
I would expect the T series to go for $750+, the second I wouldn't go more than $370.
Remember, if you buy an pistol for $400, spend $200 on a reblue or Cerakote...........it isn't necessarily worth $600.

If you are buying the HP for carry or range use I highly recommend you get a MKIII. It will be easier to change sights, can tolerate +P better and will have a better feed ramp on the barrel.

If you want a durable finish for carry, the matte black finish on the MkIII Hi Powers is very durable. The MkII parkerized finish is also great.

Some HP's have the serial numbers "stacked", meaning there will be a number on the frame, slide and barrel.....one right above the other. This is because different countries have their own requirements as to serial# location. FN placed serial#'s in several locations over the years, right side of frame above trigger guard, front of grip strap, and right side of frame above the grip panel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Messing with spring rates is a good way to induce malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks so much Dogtown!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking at a couple Practical models at $700 each plus shipping. Is this a fair price and are there any disadvantages to this model?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Looking at a couple Practical models at $700 each plus shipping. Is this a fair price and are there any disadvantages to this model?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whether the price is fair depends on condition.
There are no disadvantages vs any other MkIII Hi Power.
The Practical was basically just a two tone model, matte black slide w/ Silver Chrome and round hammer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#32]
So the Practical is the same specs as a MK III just two-tone? Does that mean that it can take Novak sights like a MK III can without being milled? Was adjustable sights an option for Practical's? I am looking at one online that has adjustable sights installed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So the Practical is the same specs as a MK III just two-tone? Does that mean that it can take Novak sights like a MK III can without being milled? Was adjustable sights an option for Practical's? I am looking at one online that has adjustable sights installed.
View Quote

Yes, because the Practical is a MkIII.
Yes, just like antother MkIII.
Yes, Practicals were available with fixed or adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I really appreciate your help! I've since found some reliable resources and hopefully can answer my own questions from here on in. LOL! At the end of it all, I want to have a Standard, a Practical, and a MK III. I have a tandatd, have committed to a Practical and am now looking for a MK III. BTW, I called Browning yesterday and found out that they have steel versions and lighter alloy versions of the Practiicals. Not sure if that applies to other variants or not. The person could not tell me what years or why, other than the lighter alloy is cheaper priced.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I really appreciate your help! I've since found some reliable resources and hopefully can answer my own questions from here on in. LOL! At the end of it all, I want to have a Standard, a Practical, and a MK III. I have a tandatd, have committed to a Practical and am now looking for a MK III. BTW, I called Browning yesterday and found out that they have steel versions and lighter alloy versions of the Practiicals. Not sure if that applies to other variants or not. The person could not tell me what years or why, other than the lighter alloy is cheaper priced.
View Quote

The Browning website has done a piss poor job of describing what models they actually have. (and Wikipedia isn't much better)
MkIII is the newest design of the Hi Power, not just a finish as the Browning website describes it. Pretty much every HP built since 1988 will be a MkIII.....regardless of it being matte black, polished blue, chrome, silver chrome, nickel, etc.
MkIII is about design changes such as dovetailed sights and a firing pin safety.
The only difference between the Standard model and the MkIII shown on the Browning website is the finish. Mechanically they are identical and both are MkIII's.

Remember, there is no such animal as a MkI FN Hi Power........back in the day there was only one version, sometimes referred to as the Standard Model. Depending on the year it was manufactured it could be the Standard Model of 1965, 1973, etc. In the early '80's FN introduced the MkII which had an improved feed ramp, drain hole at the muzzle, improved sights, and eventually ambidextrous safety levers. FN didn't stop making the Standard models, they just cranked them out at the same time for a number of years side by side.

That FN made a Practical in a lightweight frame is stunning news to Browning collectors. It's pretty well known that there were 1950-60's era Lightweights, but I have never heard of a lightweight Practical. I'll bet that your Browning rep is confused.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#36]
My Standard is an 88 so hopefully it will take Novak sights. The guy I'm buying the Practical from mentioned the alloy versus steel which prompted me to call Browning. The rep didn't sound too confident with his infornation. Browning website states all 3 models weigh 32 oz. I should have my Practical by Friday and I'll let you know if there's any material differences. WIjipedia also stated that if you see the word "Hipower" on a FN/Browning gun, it's a clone. However, on the F(M) Detective, Hi-power is on it. So if this is true, it does not apply to the FM guns. Your thoughts on that? Also, is the Detective a releiable model? Thought it would be nice for a carry gun due to the shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

To ensure reliable ignition with hard military primers and slow slide velocity without a recoil spring weight that would genuinely make it hard to hand cycle the slide.

Cock the hammer, cycle the slide. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My Standard is an 88 so hopefully it will take Novak sights. The guy I'm buying the Practical from mentioned the alloy versus steel which prompted me to call Browning.
FN hasn't made an alloy frame HP in five decades. The Practical is too young to have had an alloy frame.

The rep didn't sound too confident with his infornation. Browning website states all 3 models weigh 32 oz. I should have my Practical by Friday and I'll let you know if there's any material differences. WIjipedia also stated that if you see the word "Hipower" on a FN/Browning gun, it's a clone.
FN never marked their pistols with the model name......they didn't need to.

However, on the F(M) Detective, Hi-power is on it. So if this is true, it does not apply to the FM guns.
FM's made under license look like any other HP but have Argentine rollmarks . Once they dropped the license FM started doing weird stuff in order to try and sell guns. One was putting "F.N. Browning" on the slide (and FN threatened to sue so they stopped), the other was using a slide like a 1911. IMHO this is like putting a Mustang grill on the front end of a Corvette.

Your thoughts on that? Also, is the Detective a releiable model? Thought it would be nice for a carry gun due to the shorter barrel.    
The Detective made by FM may need more frequent replacement of the recoil spring.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Figured out what they (seller and Browning) were most likely referring to. Older models of MK III were all "Forged." The newer models, as in this 1995 Practical are "Casted." One way to quickly tell is the bottom of the magazine well. If it is forged, it will be smooth. If it's cast. it will have ripples/grooves. Some say they prefer the forged, but the cast is actually just as good or better to handle larger calibers and +P loads.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Figured out what they (seller and Browning) were most likely referring to. Older models of MK III were all "Forged." The newer models, as in this 1995 Practical are "Casted." One way to quickly tell is the bottom of the magazine well. If it is forged, it will be smooth. If it's cast. it will have ripples/grooves. Some say they prefer the forged, but the cast is actually just as good or better to handle larger calibers and +P loads.
View Quote

Correct, the cast frames are stronger. The change to cast frames occurred shortly after the introduction of the .40 Hi Powers.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like all the details are covered, I just wanted to pop in and say you stole that thing.

I don't "need" another HP, but at $350 I would have picked that up so fast the counter would have caught fire.
Lose the mag safety, leave the springs as is, cock the hammer then rack.
They're wonderful pistols.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Waiting on the auction to end on a 67 T Series HP. Its at $500 and I'm currently the high bidder. Other than some minor blemishes on the slide, the giun is like new. I actually hope I get outbid because I bid on it before I realized I had to mill it for new sights. The milling cost more than the sights!!! Plan on resurfacing the entire pistol internals and externals, trigger job, and front fiber optic. Going to leave the original rear sight. This is why I want a cheap price but don't want any deep scratches that will cost me additional money to repair.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Waiting on the auction to end on a 67 T Series HP. Its at $500 and I'm currently the high bidder. Other than some minor blemishes on the slide, the giun is like new. I actually hope I get outbid because I bid on it before I realized I had to mill it for new sights. The milling cost more than the sights!!! Plan on resurfacing the entire pistol internals and externals, trigger job, and front fiber optic. Going to leave the original rear sight. This is why I want a cheap price but don't want any deep scratches that will cost me additional money to repair.
View Quote

Doing such upgrades/modifications to a T series is like planning to put a tow hitch and winch on a '63 Corvette.
Buy one of the MkIII's from Coles for $475.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah you're right. I was just trying to find a decent gun at a cheap price. If I end up winniong it, I actually think I will sell iot for what I paid for it, so if you know anyone that is looking for one, let me know. But, surely somebody will outbid me at $500. There's 8 bidders and it ends Sunday afternoon. I'd hate to hack on it like you said.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#46]
ARe you saying Coles or Copes?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#47]
According to another post, he was shot back in 2012 and appears he no longer has the business.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#48]
What do you think of the Mach1Arsenal surplus BHPs on GB?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
ARe you saying Coles or Copes?
View Quote

Copes or CDI Sales
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What do you think of the Mach1Arsenal surplus BHPs on GB?
View Quote

Rough
But if you are going to refinish it doesn't really matter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top