Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 4:12:08 PM EDT
I've wanted one for a while, finally started really looking.  Came across one locally made in 1982, I would say 99% of the original finish (minor imperfections), came in the original red-lined pouch.  It was the same price as a new one at my LGS, so I decided I would rather have the blued Made in Belgium over the new one.  

Anyways, the guy told me it had hardly been fired.  When I got there, he said he was pretty sure it had never been fired, and when I looked in to it, I would have to agree.  So, I wound up with a brand new BHP with a really nice finish.  I couldn't be happier with it.

I guess what I'm getting at is (other than bragging), I would like to go shoot ASAP.  I definitely plan on field stripping it and making sure it is cleaned and lubed, but I wasn't sure if I need to do anything else since it sat for 33 years before being shot.  

I do plan on working on the trigger a little, based on the threads at a BHP forum, but I want to shoot it first and see what it's all about beforehand.

<edit> crappy pics

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The pictures. My god where are the pictures?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would replace the recoil and firing pin spring with new Browning parts.  Not Wolff.
The parts are inexpensive directly from Browning.  I replace both springs every year-they are that cheap.
Extra Mec-Gar 13 or 15 round magazines.  I've bought 'many' from 44mag.com.

And post pictures of this gun already!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
How do I post them?  I only have crappy cell phone pics.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would replace the recoil and firing pin spring with new Browning parts.  Not Wolff.
View Quote

Good advice NOT WOLFF

Vince
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good advice NOT WOLFF

Vince
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice NOT WOLFF

Vince

Plus 2
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with wolff?

Never had an issue with the extra power 18.5lb recoil springs (helps with reducing/preventing lug rounding with heavier loads according to Stephen Camp)

No issues with Wolff hammer springs and firing pin springs either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit:Nice Hi-Power.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What's wrong with wolff?

Never had an issue with the extra power 18.5lb recoil springs (helps with reducing/preventing lug rounding with heavier loads according to Stephen Camp)
No issues with Wolff hammer springs and firing pin springs either.
View Quote
+1 Never had any issues with Wolff springs in Hi-Powers.

Excellent site for information on Hi-Powers.

http://hipowersandhandguns.com/

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Wolff springs are not the correct length for a Hi-Power.  The current springs are longer than the genuine springs made for, and sold by Browning.  You can order the genuine item from Midway and Brownell's too.  The 18.5# spring was an improvement that Wolff screwed up years ago.  The 18.5# did fit ok at one time.  Wolff states they spec a spring rate, not a length. Today, the same Wolff spring is almost a solid block (nearly coil bound).  The Browning springs are considered by gunsmiths as some of the finest springs made for a pistol.  And the recoil springs will set you back $2.50 each, directly from Browning.

I've installed Wolff springs and removed them.  I would not use my gun with that recoil spring.

Good luck with your Wolff spring.  There are better options for replacement springs.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are better options for replacement springs.
View Quote

How are Wilson Combat's?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How are Wilson Combat's?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are better options for replacement springs.

How are Wilson Combat's?

After my Wolff issues, I never looked beyond the Browning springs.
I have no experience with the WC springs.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Do some reading at hipowers ands handguns and some other hipower forums. Wolff springs are not what the other posters are making them out to be.

6 hipowers of various types and Wolff 18.5lb springs work fine, even with minor PF 9mm loads.

That said, if I was to use stock spring rates, I would use Browning springs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top