Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2015 8:25:55 PM EDT
I picked up this 1985 FN Hi Power Alloy Frame from Aim Surplus last year and I am coming up close to finishing up some other projects and figured this would be my next one.

I don't know much about the Hi Power, or what I should look into upgrading besides possibly picking up some Wolff Springs (which springs?) and some new sights (which sights?).

I do want to get it refinished - probably a polished Blue finish.

I'm just looking to make it a nice shooter to ring some steel.

What should I look at upgrading? Thanks for any help or guidance in the right direction.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally,

I would knock out the mag safety (which will improve the trigger pull a bit)

Replace the sights with something larger / more visible

Replace the small thumb safety with a larger MKIII type or a C&S part.

Those three things right there will get you a very good gun for a relatively low cost.
Beyond that, you could go hog wild and drop a few grand on major gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!

That information will get me started in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't even know there were alloy HPs.

Whats the weight difference?
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Half a pound lighter if I recall.

I don't think there are that many around, but I'd love to stumble across one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Gave me an excuse to bust out my new scale.

Without magazine: 1 lb 7.0 oz
With empty magazine: 1 lb 9.6 oz
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gave me an excuse to bust out my new scale.

Without magazine: 1 lb 7.0 oz
With empty magazine: 1 lb 9.6 oz
View Quote

Published weight on a steel framed BHP is 2 pounds even.
So 9 oz lighter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks gorgeous as is, I wouldn't touch the finish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked up this 1985 FN Hi Power Alloy Frame from Aim Surplus last year and I am coming up close to finishing up some other projects and figured this would be my next one.

I don't know much about the Hi Power, or what I should look into upgrading besides possibly picking up some Wolff Springs (which springs?) and some new sights (which sights?).
View Quote

Stay away from Wolf springs on the BHP, use only Browning springs especially the recoil spring.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Comparison of weights of alloy, forged and cast frames burried in this here thread over someplace else

Half a pound was pretty close.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stay away from Wolf springs on the BHP, use only Browning springs especially the recoil spring.

Vince
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Just installed all new wolf springs in my hi power no problem. Used 18.5lb recoil spring and a 26lb hammer, and extra power trigger spring.
The recoil spring for factory is 17lb I run a 18.5lb with no problem at all running light loads up to nato loads. Stephen Camp (rip) always recommended those weights and as he stated the wolf 18.5lb spring is exactly as long as a browning factory fresh 17lb recoil spring. I think people are just used to old compressed springs and have a hard time getting the wolf springs in without kinking them. Or they are just repeating hearsay without actually testing them out them self.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just installed all new wolf springs in my hi power no problem. Used 18.5lb recoil spring and a 26lb hammer, and extra power trigger spring.
The recoil spring for factory is 17lb I run a 18.5lb with no problem at all running light loads up to nato loads. Stephen Camp (rip) always recommended those weights and as he stated the wolf 18.5lb spring is exactly as long as a browning factory fresh 17lb recoil spring. I think people are just used to old compressed springs and have a hard time getting the wolf springs in without kinking them. Or they are just repeating hearsay without actually testing them out them self.
View Quote

No hearsay involved, only real world experience.

Vince
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

^^^ What Vinny302 wrote.
I tried the Wolf springs too and went back to Browning springs.  Not enough free travel in the Wolf springs, and I kept thinking this is what a coil-bound spring looks like.
No thanks.  Not on my guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

^^^ What Vinny302 wrote.
I tried the Wolf springs too and went back to Browning springs.  Not enough free travel in the Wolf springs, and I kept thinking this is what a coil-bound spring looks like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

^^^ What Vinny302 wrote.

I did just purchase my wolf springs from midway about a month or so ago, wonder if they made a change to design. Have also read many people having the same problem as you guys but it was like 50/50 on them working. They are tough to get in but I have shot 300rnds through the new build with the 18.5lb and did not get any binding or problems.

They are cheap enough just order one and try it along with a factory spring for backup.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Comparison of weights of alloy, forged and cast frames burried in this here thread over someplace else

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buried? Who killed it ? It's Post #5 of 8 BTW

Thanks for the cross-over Andouille .....
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I did a weight comparison sometime ago, IIRC bwtn my couple of samples there was a 7oz difference with the alloy ending up around 25oz.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

^^^ What Vinny302 wrote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

^^^ What Vinny302 wrote.

Same here, tried  Wolf and was not pleased

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top