Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2015 2:38:32 AM EDT
Wanting to get some grips made from Osage Orange/Bois d'Arc/Ironwood.  Then I'd like to get some Boy Scout artwork done that commemorates his "graduation" date.

I know of Segel, but are there any other crafters that will sculpt and finish my raw wood scales and get them laser engraved to a custom order?

Anyone on this site that can do the work? I'd rather give the job to an arfcommer than some big name on the web.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 2:42:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Just want to say I could rough out the grips myself, but I'd never feel they were done right because I'd just be guessing at it most of the way. I want this to be nice and something he'll want to keep his whole life.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Going to put a Hogue rubber grip on it and send out the rosewood to an engraver. Will see how it turns out.  He'll probably prefer rubber to the wood for shooting, but maybe he'll prefer to keep it "special".

We'll see. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd say it's a good idea. My sister bought me a set of rosewood with the eagle badge on them. I'd have to check where but I do have his card. My Colt xse wears them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry I can't help too much with the grips but please check out my thread about my sons special build. It may be able to help you with some ideas. Let me know if I can help in any way. Congratulations to you and your son in his great achievement.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/639029_Very_Special_Eagle_Scout_Build__Lots_of_Pics_.html
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#5]
That's an awesome idea, and congrats to your son. I'm an Eagle myself (1982) and my son got his last year (he got a Remington 870 and a Philmont trip). As far as the grips, you could probably get some nice smooth wood ones fairly cheap from Brownells or Ajax, then just find someone with a laser engraver who does good work on wood, and has one of the units where you just load an image and hit the start button. I did this for a friend for a 1911 when he retired from Army SF- they turned out real nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top