Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2014 7:20:11 PM EDT
I am interested in getting a Hi Power; however I know nothing about them. Is the newly manufactured MKIII the way to go? What other types of Hi Powers are out there? Thanks for any help guys.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking for a shooter or a safe-queen?

Someone will be by to provide you with more comprehensive information, but CDI Sales on GunBroker has a ton of HP's all for $2-400. Surplus of course, but a cost-efficient option you might otherwise miss.

Cheers,

Spenny
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am interested in getting a Hi Power; however I know nothing about them. Is the newly manufactured MKIII the way to go? What other types of Hi Powers are out there? Thanks for any help guys.
View Quote

No better place to start than here: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for a shooter or a safe-queen?

Someone will be by to provide you with more comprehensive information, but CDI Sales on GunBroker has a ton of HP's all for $2-400. Surplus of course, but a cost-efficient option you might otherwise miss.

Cheers,

Spenny
View Quote

This, if you want a shooter, search cdisales on gunbroker and find a nice FN.  I'm becoming a real big fan of his, lately he has had a ton CZ's, some Sigs and some other assorted surplus pistols in addition to hi powers.  

I would go for the ones between $450-$500, most will be nicer ones with all matching serials.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I started with an FEG PJK clone, I really miss that gun, after putting new springs in it it shot well, just needed better mags for it to feed correctly, if you get a surplus expect to change the recoil and extractor spring.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Cast frames are said to hold up better over high round counts.  

Early Hi Power sometimes do not feed any ammo well except for ball
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Love my Hi-Power.  Its a newer MKIII.  Made in '93 just a few months before I was born.  I really want to pick up one of the "competition" models with the adjustable sights.  My buddy has a surplus hi power and I honestly don't feel a ton of difference between his and mine.

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a little cautionary tale for the High Power buyer, if you hadn't seen it tacked on the "Browning" part of the handguns forum here: Click Test
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here's a little cautionary tale for the High Power buyer, if you hadn't seen it tacked on the "Browning" part of the handguns forum here: Click Test
View Quote

Don't let let the click test sway you as most bhp's pass it, if not it's usually fairly easy to fix.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No better place to start than here: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/index.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also http://hipowerforum.com/index.php?sid=2fee3bfff992b33d66eee15958b2d9b5
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A few years ago I had an FN Hi-Power. The polished bluing was so deep and rich it was freaking gorgeous. When I look at some of the later guns with the matte finish I'm sad . . . I say definitely get a pretty one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top