Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 3:17:11 AM EDT
Got my Cole's HP Mk III.  I want to get new sights so I was checking them all out.  I was in the Novak site and started looking at his HP packages.  They do a trigger job but leave the magazine safety intact.  Is there an advantage to leaving the mag safety alone?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Got my Cole's HP Mk III.  I want to get new sights so I was checking them all out.  I was in the Novak site and started looking at his HP packages.  They do a trigger job but leave the magazine safety intact.  Is there an advantage to leaving the mag safety alone?
View Quote
I just got my Coles HP a week or two ago.  Sent it off to get a cerakote, while in there they're going to shitcan the magazine safety.  Really no reason for it IMO.  He also said he would give the insides a good cleaning because the internals were pretty gritty which isn't surprising considering it was a surplus gun.  I really think it's up to you if you want to keep the Mag Safety.

Im going to wait to shoot it after the safety is gone and the internals are cleaned to decide if the trigger needs more work.

I just looked at the Novak sights, they are super nice.  Too expensive for my blood though, I ordered some MEPRO NS from Top Gun Supply for about 80 bucks, going to have a local shop put them on when I get it back from the refinish.  

ETA, those MEPROS will only fit if you got a MK3 with dovetail sights.  Also I looked at the Novak work and all I can say is wow, super nice.  Wish I had that kind of flow to spend on that

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got my Coles HP a week or two ago.  Sent it off to get a cerakote, while in there they're going to shitcan the magazine safety.  Really no reason for it IMO.  He also said he would give the insides a good cleaning because the internals were pretty gritty which isn't surprising considering it was a surplus gun.  I really think it's up to you if you want to keep the Mag Safety.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should have sent a whole new set of springs with the gun, so it could be assembled with fresh coils.

Remove the MD and really you should be sure to install a 2 coil trigger spring!
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Should have sent a whole new set of springs with the gun, so it could be assembled with fresh coils.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

why is this?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

why is this?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

why is this?  

The HP experts can answer this more accurately, but on my FEG I left the 3-coil in at first. With the MD gone, the trigger was really soft/mushy and the sear lever would occasionally "skip" past the feed ramp (and I'd wind up with FTF due to a "deactivated" trigger). The 2-coil took up the slack and made everything stay in place; sucker runs like a top now, when I can keep my thumbs from pushing up the slide stop. ;)

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The removal of the BHP magazine disconnect will improve the trigger slightly, and should be done to all BHP's. Probably the shop that would not remove it thought there might be some legal issue if the gun was ever used in a self defense situation which is a bunch of bunk. There has never been a case to my knowledge that removal of a magazine disconnect has ever come up in a law suit.

Vince
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the the two coil trigger spring you guy's are talking about the trigger return spring? I ask because my smith is getting ready to deactivate the MD on my Hi Power and I see Cylinder & Slide offers a two coil trigger return spring. If it's the same I want to order one to make sure the gun is right without the MD.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is the the two coil trigger spring you guy's are talking about the trigger return spring? I ask because my smith is getting ready to deactivate the MD on my Hi Power and I see Cylinder & Slide offers a two coil trigger return spring. If it's the same I want to order one to make sure the gun is right without the MD.
View Quote

Yep. I used the Wolff extra power spring (the Browning part was OOS when I ordered), but AFAIK the C&S part will work just fine.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep. I used the Wolff extra power spring (the Browning part was OOS when I ordered), but AFAIK the C&S part will work just fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate to even mention this because I'm not sure if it will matter to anyone or not.  BUT, leaving the mag disconnect in aids in a better feeling reset.  From what I remember and what a friend of mine says.   Mine is out though because the mags didn't drop free with it in and my trigger pull was atrociously heavy.  But I see that some of the shops polish it down to allow mags to drop free with it in.  

For me, I'm not against the safety being there.  It's just that I agree it's not really necessary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The HP experts can answer this more accurately, but on my FEG I left the 3-coil in at first. With the MD gone, the trigger was really soft/mushy and the sear lever would occasionally "skip" past the feed ramp (and I'd wind up with FTF due to a "deactivated" trigger). The 2-coil took up the slack and made everything stay in place; sucker runs like a top now, when I can keep my thumbs from pushing up the slide stop. ;)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

why is this?  

I'll have to do this

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't have one of the Izzy surplus guns, but on my new manufacture BHP, the only changes I made were to remove the magazine safety and snipped a couple of coils off of the spring underneath the front of the sear lever/firing pin safety. That improved the trigger pull dramatically. The reset is still vauge, but the pull is nice and crisp and right around 5lb now. I made no other changes to any other parts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I hate to even mention this because I'm not sure if it will matter to anyone or not.  BUT, leaving the mag disconnect in aids in a better feeling reset.  .
View Quote

And this is why you install the 2 coil trigger return spring as it will provide a better reset and is how the original guns without the factory MD came from the factory.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And this is why you install the 2 coil trigger return spring as it will provide a better reset and is how the original guns without the factory MD came from the factory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to even mention this because I'm not sure if it will matter to anyone or not.  BUT, leaving the mag disconnect in aids in a better feeling reset.  .

+1, works pretty clean.  Love my Coles HiPower took out the mag safety - big improvement trigger wise. also polished mating surfaces on sear and hammer.  Threw on some new grips = one of my favorite shooting 9mm handguns.  Fits the hand so much better than a Beretta or many other Newer guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
For my birthday/Christmas present I sent the Hi Power to Novak's for their basic package.  Sights, trigger, feed ramp, crown barrel, internals.  It's very nice.  It was back home in two weeks.

I had a call from them asking if I wanted the mag safety removed for a better trigger.  I said yes.  

My holster from El Paso Saddlery will be here in a couple days.  I found some wood grips I like to order next month.  I hate when the voices in my head start telling me what to do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

For my birthday/Christmas present I sent the Hi Power to Novak's for their basic package.  Sights, trigger, feed ramp, crown barrel, internals.  It's very nice.  It was back home in two weeks.

I had a call from them asking if I wanted the mag safety removed for a better trigger.  I said yes.  

My holster from El Paso Saddlery will be here in a couple days.  I found some wood grips I like to order next month.  I hate when the voices in my head start telling me what to do.

View Quote
Pics when it's done would be nice

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]
VZ Grip question.

My BHP has the lanyard ring stud.  It's not the screw in stud.  There is a hole on the opposite side of the frame, which from what I read, means a press on stud that may or may not be soldered.  I picked up a set of VZ pro slim grips.  I kind of like the stud, so I was thinking of cutting the grip to fit around the stud like the factory grips.  Has anyone done some cutting on the VZ grips?  Drill, cut and sand?.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top