Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2014 12:02:44 AM EDT
Looking at snagging a BHP this week. I've always wanted to get some custom work done to one to mimic a 1911. Can anyone explain to me how they change the profile of the backstrap to a beavertail (is it welded?), how much that may cost me, and any recommendations on smiths to talk to? I've been looking around but s few websites I've looked at haven't been updated in a few years.

I also plan on getting a trigger job, stippling the grip, 1911 style safet, updating the sights, and finishing it in a classic case hardened look. I'm assuming that I'd need a new hammer, too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
They essentially weld steel onto it, and then grind the shit out of it until it matches.

I think all of the big BHP smiths do it.  Garthwait C&S, Novak, Robar,

It's not a cheap procedure.  Actually,nothing is cheap on BHP's.   You'll be in for at least $1100 on those mods including the refinish,  not many people do color case hardening.  It's really best reserved for small parts.  None of the BHP smiths do color case finishes in house, so you'll have to have them ship the gun to the refinished and then back to them.  Probably turnbull.

But it sounds like a very attractive BHP
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can case harden something that's been welded like that... At least I don't think so. It sounds like it'd be a gorgeous gun though. By 1911 safety you mean a larger pad on the thumb safety, right?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can case harden something that's been welded like that... At least I don't think so. It sounds like it'd be a gorgeous gun though. By 1911 safety you mean a larger pad on the thumb safety, right?
View Quote

You can.  If it was a poor weld job it will become apparent, but if it was done properly with a similar filler material to the base, it will be just fine.  My biggest concern with a color case hardening is that the temperatures required will have an effect on the overall heat treat of the frame.  Whether or not that's going to have an impact on a BHP or not I don't know.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You can.  If it was a poor weld job it will become apparent, but if it was done properly with a similar filler material to the base, it will be just fine.  My biggest concern with a color case hardening is that the temperatures required will have an effect on the overall heat treat of the frame.  Whether or not that's going to have an impact on a BHP or not I don't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BHP Frames are already kind of sparse too.  Would definitely run this by one of the BHP pros like garthwaite or C&S before you commit OP
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
On my Cylinder & Slide example it appears they milled a flat on the back of the small hump below the hammer and silver soldered the extension on.  There is a very small fine line visible there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On my Cylinder & Slide example it appears they milled a flat on the back of the small hump below the hammer and silver soldered the extension on.  There is a very small fine line visible there.
View Quote

Definitely wouldn't want to color case harden that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top