Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 12:34:10 AM EDT
Looking at getting a new BHP. What are the pros and cons of each? I like the look of the standard better but the Mark III looks likes the grip would be more comfortable. I already have a BHP from CDI on GB and I love the grip.
Also on Brownings website there are 4 types of standard BHP and 2 Mark III versions. My best guess is that the MK III one is 13rd mags and the other is 10rd mags. And the same for the Standard but with the added 2 for adjustable sights with either mag.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at getting a new BHP. What are the pros and cons of each? I like the look of the standard better but the Mark III looks likes the grip would be more comfortable. I already have a BHP from CDI on GB and I love the grip.
Also on Brownings website there are 4 types of standard BHP and 2 Mark III versions. My best guess is that the MK III one is 13rd mags and the other is 10rd mags. And the same for the Standard but with the added 2 for adjustable sights with either mag.
View Quote

Your poll offers choices that Browning doesn't.

Browning couldn't describe and market a handgun if their life depended on it. All they really care about is their fudd guns.

All current models of the FN/Browning Hi Power are exactly the same design and materials (the MkIII). This causes confusion with many because the original "Standard Model" was discontinued decades ago with the changes that became the MKIII.

The differences between the "Standard" and the "Mark III" are entirely cosmetic......the Standard is polished blue, the MKIII is a matte black epoxy coat. The Standard is also available with an adjustable rear sight.

Each model: MKIII, Standard, Standard with adjustable sights is available with either 10round or thirteen round mags. Several states have mag capacity restrictions so that's why Browning shows six different model#/SKU's.

To answer your question.....it's a matter of personal preference. The MKIII is not as pretty as the Standard. The polished blue finish on the Standard will not hold up as well as the matte epoxy coat on the MKIII. For a shooter or daily carry gun, the MKIII will need less care.

I have a dozen or so Hi Powers and would not spend current retail $$$ on either model. There are too many T series, C series and MKII's out there in near perfect condition for the same $$$.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Browning couldn't describe and market a handgun if their life depended on it. All they really care about is their fudd guns.

All current models of the FN/Browning Hi Power are exactly the same design and materials (the MkIII). This causes confusion with many because the original "Standard Model" was discontinued decades ago with the changes that became the MKIII.

The differences between the "Standard" and the "Mark III" are entirely cosmetic......the Standard is polished blue, the MKIII is a matte black epoxy coat. The Standard is also available with an adjustable rear sight.

Each model: MKIII, Standard, Standard with adjustable sights is available with either 10round or thirteen round mags. Several states have mag capacity restrictions so that's why Browning shows six different model#/SKU's.

To answer your question.....it's a matter of personal preference. The MKIII is not as pretty as the Standard. The polished blue finish on the Standard will not hold up as well as the matte epoxy coat on the MKIII. For a shooter or daily carry gun, the MKIII will need less care.

I have a dozen or so Hi Powers and would not spend current retail $$$ on either model. There are too many T series, C series and MKII's out there in near perfect condition for the same $$$.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iv seen both the standard and MK III listed plenty of places to include the Browning website so it seemed they were still offering all the models. I have no issue getting a MK III if that's my only option. I'll have to go with whatever they have in stock since I will be ordering factory direct.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:13:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
since I will be ordering factory direct.
View Quote

Some sort of employee discount program?

I got a Browning X-bolt stainless/walnut at 50% off through Browning's factory program when I worked at Dick's nearly a decade ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I got a Browning X-bolt stainless/walnut at 50% off through Browning's factory program when I worked at Dick's nearly a decade ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
since I will be ordering factory direct.

Yup same deal. So it's a HP or Xbolt Medallion
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is so true.  I'd go MK3.  I also like to remove the mag safety, YMMV on that decision

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
this is so true.  I'd go MK3.  I also like to remove the mag safety, YMMV on that decision  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went with the the Standard. According to Brownibg they have the BHP in standard and MK III
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up a new "Standard" (old school wood stocks, fixed sights, blued finish, ambi safety) from the local Gander Mountain last year as a birthday gift to myself...I love it. I don't like the adjustable sight models as they look very uncomfortable to carry IWB, and I carry my BHP. Don't let the grips determine what you buy; you can always replace them. Brownells is set to get a shipment of Navidrex BHP grips, you should be able to find a set of Craig Spegel grips online, Pachmayr's wraparound grips are actually very comfortable on a BHP...there's plenty of grip makers, so don't limit yourself on that.

The only real differences between the Mk3 and the Standard is the finish (I prefer the blued one, but YMMV) and the grips. You can get either with the adjustable, or the fixed, sights. I'm %99 sure the GM I went to had a Mk3 with adjustable sights in it's display case as well, but I could be mis-remembering.

My wants, in order of preference/care, were that it have fixed sights first off, and then I'd prefer the gun to be blued vs epoxy (not that it really matters but I liked blued guns better; they look nicer to me ). Fortunately they had a classic model with fixed sights in stock, so I got that. Had they only had a Mk3 with the epoxy finish in stock with fixed sights...I would have gotten that instead.

You can't go wrong with either model.

All of which reminds me, I need to get in my pre-order of grips from Brownells
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a T series, and have a couple of Inglises, that eat my hand horribly when I shoot them...for whatever reason, the new one doesn't. No idea why, but it just is

One point in favor of the Mk3 is the frame - the new cast frame with the grooves on the bottom of the magwell, from everything I've read online and in print, seems to be much more durable than the older forged frames. They don't seem to shoot themselves loose with heavy loads nearly as quickly as the older forged frames would...but, again - that's just what I've read; I've not put a lot of +P or hotter rounds through one and have no first-hand experience there...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I do like the blues finish. This isn't going to be a heavily used gun. Iv always wanted one and I do like the blued finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top