Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2014 7:45:48 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I recently had the opportunity to hold a High Power.  I had never picked one up before..  Well that was a mistake!  I fell in love with the pistol, fits my hand great, and buttery smooth action too.  So now I have been hunting the local shops and a few shows.  I found this on armslist.  Wondering if it's a fair deal, or if he wants too much for it?  I don't know a whole lot about the high power so I would appreciate the advice.  Thanks a lot fellas.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2659785/indianiapolis-indiana-handguns-for-sale--1992-browning-high-power-9mm
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems a touch high, but i haven't priced another BHP since i bought mine back in 06.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea.  You should not have held one.  Will be even worse when you shoot one.  I just bought my fourth.  Sigh.

The one you listed does look a bit high.  There are many for sale on Gunbroker.  Should at least get you in the ballpark for what they're going for.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the used HiPowers at CDISales at Gunbroker.  He usually has several mil surplus imports, including some FEG clones and counterfit FEG made marked as FN.  Clones seem to be from 199-300, and Brownings for 300-500 for some halfway decent ones.

I have 2 of the $200 FEG marked clones that are great shooters.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=2621012

for example, this one was $350

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems a little bit on the high side.  I bought my NIB November 2013 model for about 200 bucks more than that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  Looks like the cdi thing on gunbroker may be a better option.  I can get a good one for a decent price and shoot the hell out of it.  What should I be looking for as far as choosing one from there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If you can find a new in box one for $550 (as mentioned above), I'd go that route.  I haven't seen any that cheap since the batch from CDNN.  That is why I did the CDI thing.

For me, I'd look through the CDI listings, and I would sort on price.  Then, open each listing up one at a time and look for ones in the pictures that have only minor or no pitting.  He has lots with some pitting that would work ok, but would look too rough for me to be happy with.

I would also look for ones that had a matching sn on the slide and barrel--not essential but my preference. Also, I'd get to know the difference between the early style HiPowers with the ring hammer and the smaller safety and the newer with the spur hammer and longer safety. Pick the one you like better.  Coles (CDISales) usually put on Hogue or Pachmyer wrap around grips if the originals have problems, so look for your preference.  One of mine came with wood which looked good but felt really wide, one came with pachmyers.  I changed out the one with wood for a set of slim Navidrex from Bownells, which felt great.

Some of CDI's are blue, some are parked or reparked.  I have one blue and one parked.  The blue is nicer, but needs a reblueing sometime ( I have oxpho waiting in the garage for some spare time).  The parked one was a refinish, and is now my beater with the pachmyer grips.

Basically, you have choices.  Decide what you want.  Generally, from my research, he grades them worse than they turn out being.  If he gives it a "fair", many people would call it "good".  My barrels were all very good, but the barrel hoods were discolored.  I took a little stainless cleaner and green kitchen scrubbie, and the barrels looked as good as new once I shined up the hood (the part you see through the slides when the slide is closed).

IM  or reply if you have specific questions or want more help sorting.  There are several threads here at arf.com on Coles, as well as some other forum sites.  He seems to have a good rep, only a few issues from around the time he had the break-in and when he was shot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top