Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2014 3:13:18 PM EDT
I want to replace a few springs in an FM and was surprised there were so many different weights for the recoil spring. Which one for shooting plinking ammo? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The factory springs included a 32 pound hammer spring and a 17 pound recoil spring.

There is no right answer on spring weight other than using what works with the minimum slide velocity that allows proper feeding and function.

Personally, I recommend getting a recoil calibration pak for the Hi Power from Wolf.  It will include 17, 18.5, 20 and 22 pound springs.  Start with the 22 pound spring and work down until it feeds with 100% reliability. If the firing pin is denting the primer on unfired rounds with the heavier spring installed, then install a heavier firing pin spring as well (they are included in the set).

Hi Power Springs

Hammer springs are also available in 2 pound increments from 24 pounds to 34 pounds.  Going with a lighter spring may improve the trigger pull slightly, with the potential downside of light strikes on the primers and lower hammer speed/slightly faster lock time.

You need to be aware as well that a lighter hammer spring will also increase the need for a heavier hammer spring, as the action of cocking the hammer helps retard the slide.   So the easier cocking of a lighter hammer spring means the recoil spring takes a greater share of the load and a lighter hammer spring should be matched with a heavier recoil spring to avoid battering the frame and slide.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I'd just give Browning a call and get factory springs.  For me I would replace just about every spring in the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem I'm having is fired cases not being ejected. I was thinking I needed a new extractor. Gunsmith told me the slide may not be moving back hard enough to hit the ejector and throw the fired case out. Then I looked at springs and saw all kinds of different spring weights. Ammo was "Federal Target"
btw. I'm going to try different ammo to see if the ammo is the part of the problem. Thanks much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the ejector to make sure the tip isn't broken, rarely happens.  Next remove the extractor and clean the groove and extractor as crud is deposited into the groove more often than not.  While extractor is out of gun, inspect it for a chipped hook.  One test for a spent/worn extractor spring is to depress the rear portion with your finger, if it depresses easily it needs replacement.

Go to browning web sites parts section, and call them up and order all new springs and do the swap.  If your extractor hook is damaged or the ejector chipped, order a new one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Ques: How do you determine frame battering? I see this mentioned but have never seen pictures of it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Bumping this because I just came into possession of two Hi Powers, one definitely in need of springs, the other, not as bad.

I'm also interested in protecting the frame and slide from damage.  I have read of buffers being installed to help protect the gun from damage.

I'd like to be able to shoot +P or +P+ as I have quite a bit of it on hand.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
wolff 17# spring in mine
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Browning original springs from Brownells.

Vince
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I had extraction problems in my FEG, the Wolff kit solved that issue, just need a new magazine now and the gun should be good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top