Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 7:17:04 AM EDT
I iodered a Fake FN HiPower from Coles - couldn't believe the price on these.

I don't care if its truly an FEG, I bought my dad an FEG for Christmas about 20 years ago and its been a great gun.

I have read numerous times, that these were made for Iraq, and the FN markings were faked to please Iraqi purchasers.  I think that is an interesting - more than just a plain FN gun story , but does anyone have a source for this info.  I'm not saying it isn't true, just wanting to know the source and add it to the story of this gun.

I need to find some 10 round Browning mags for my gun - so if anyone has a source for those, would appreciate some leads.  The 10 rounders I find are aftermarket crap that costs 2X more than factory or milsurp good hi cap mags.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I don't care if its truly an FEG, I bought my dad an FEG for Christmas about 20 years ago and its been a great gun.

I have read numerous times, that these were made for Iraq, and the FN markings were faked to please Iraqi purchasers.  I think that is an interesting - more than just a plain FN gun story , but does anyone have a source for this info.  I'm not saying it isn't true, just wanting to know the source and add it to the story of this gun.

I need to find some 10 round Browning mags for my gun - so if anyone has a source for those, would appreciate some leads.  The 10 rounders I find are aftermarket crap that costs 2X more than factory or milsurp good hi cap mags.

Thanks for any info.
View Quote

I don't know about the Iraq story. I have one and it was most assuredly made by FEG. You can always tell a FEG frame from an FN frame by the shape of the front of the trigger guard. Either way, they are relaly cool and a real enigma. I figured I could not go wrong, mine was only $199 and it is all matching in excellent condition.

Fake FN on top, real FN on bottom:

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks - Mine looks similar to your and also paid $199+transfer fee an excellent value.

Mine does have the thumbprint on the slide where many do not.  But I'm sure FEG turned them out that way too.
There have been lots of conjecture about these being Iraqi contract and Iraq wanted FN pistols but FN wouldn't sell them and FEG abliged them by printing what they wanted on the slides. That is an interesting tale but wanted some info to  substantiate or disprove it.  it is a real curiosity as to why they were made this way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Originally Posted By cherenko
Thanks - Mine looks similar to your and also paid $199+transfer fee an excellent value.

Mine does have the thumbprint on the slide where many do not.  But I'm sure FEG turned them out that way too.
There have been lots of conjecture about these being Iraqi contract and Iraq wanted FN pistols but FN wouldn't sell them and FEG abliged them by printing what they wanted on the slides. That is an interesting tale but wanted some info to  substantiate or disprove it.  it is a real curiosity as to why they were made this way.
View Quote

Post up some pics of yours if you can, have not seen one with an internal extractor. I put 200rds through mine this morning and damned if it doesn't shoot better than my real T-Series FN. Trigger pull is better and groups are better. Definitely a keeper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been shooting and collecting Hi Powers since 1980.............I've never seen an FEG with "thumbprint" slide and internal extractor.
FN stopped using the thumbprint in 1962............FEG didn't start copying the HP until decades later.

You may have a parts gun, FN slide with FEG frame.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
CDNN has (or had, haven't looked lately) Browning 10 round mousetrap mags.

Think I've got a couple lying around somewhere..
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been shooting and collecting Hi Powers since 1980.............I've never seen an FEG with "thumbprint" slide and internal extractor.
FN stopped using the thumbprint in 1962............FEG didn't start copying the HP until decades later.
View Quote

I have a FEG "counterfeit FN" from Coles with a thumb-print slide, but external extractor. It's a matching number gun, and they spelled the scroll mark wrong, so I know it's a FEG slide. I'll post pics up soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Fun story.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#9]

mine is like that - except it has plain grips - Otherwise just like it.  I assume its all FEG because of the funny browning Patent mark - Mix master or all FEG, its a pretty neat gun.  I've read elsewear on the net these came from Iraq - although I can't find the origin of that rumor or point to any circumstantial evidence of that story.  Its a cool story though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gotta be the best deal on pistols anywhere right now.  I have two
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this anything like the one I have that is stamped "Armscorp, SilverSpring MD, Made in Argentina" It has FN Browning on the slide near the front. My Dad passed a few years ago and my Mom gave it and the rest of his guns to me. It looks cheap but shoots great. Anyone heard of it?
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this anything like the one I have that is stamped "Armscorp, SilverSpring MD, Made in Argentina" It has FN Browning on the slide near the front. My Dad passed a few years ago and my Mom gave it and the rest of his guns to me. It looks cheap but shoots great. Anyone heard of it?
View Quote

Those are the Fabrica Militar (or FM) Hi Powers. Armscorp was the importer.

At one time Fabrique Nationale (or FN) licensed the Argentines to produce the Hi Power. After the license expired, the Argentines kept making them, even going to far as to put "FN Browning" on the slide. FN threatened to sue, so the Argentines stopped using that roll mark.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Disregard. Tag
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely! - How do you beat an all steel Browning (copy or not) for under $250 OTD?? ( I got mine for $199+shipping+ $20 dealer transfer.)

Gun is matching (slide, barrel, frame) ser#s - already had the mag safety removed and came with a new in the package Mec-Gar magazine!  Its been reparkerzied, but mine had no exterior pitting (the ad said it did) and the barrel was just dirty with dried up grease and powder - after several treatments with foaming bore cleaner and Hoppes#9 - came out great.  Grips were so-so, black plastic and had wear.  The barrel and the slide have the fake (or legit?) fish-shaped proof marks .

I am going to Molyresin in flat black and get some wood grips.  I might even add a lanyard ring-(not 100% sure yet on that)
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have a link to their Gunbroker page?
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 10:08:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Here is a link to All listings under them,
Coles Listings
from there you can hunt around for some specific guns.  Coles has been calling them Fake FNs or Fake Hi Powers  They also have real FN as well.

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#17]
OK Finally got some time to post a pic of my Coles FN (Fake FN).

Serial #s all match - Frame, Barrel, Slide all marked with same serial #.  Has a C prefix, FN markings and Fish Proofs too.

All for $199!  ( I did refinish with Alumahyde II and new wood grips)

" />
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.... and Fish Proofs too.
View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

I think they are often called pineapple proof marks, Belgian proof marks that are oval-shaped like a pineapple or fish outline.

camera isn't cooperating with closeup mode otherwise I'd post a pic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I don't know about the Iraq story. I have one and it was most assuredly made by FEG. You can always tell a FEG frame from an FN frame by the shape of the front of the trigger guard. Either way, they are relaly cool and a real enigma. I figured I could not go wrong, mine was only $199 and it is all matching in excellent condition.

<a href="http://s744.photobucket.com/user/mgwantob/media/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/mgwantob/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any info.

<a href="http://s744.photobucket.com/user/mgwantob/media/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/mgwantob/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg</a>

The difference in the trigger guards, perhaps easier to see in guns of the same finish...

Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Serial #s all match - Frame, Barrel, Slide all marked with same serial #.  Has a C prefix, FN markings and Fish Proofs too.

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN2893_zps61822ef6.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Nice refinish!  Is that over the park job or was it bead blasted first?
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think they are often called pineapple proof marks, Belgian proof marks that are oval-shaped like a pineapple or fish outline.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?

I know what the Belgian "pineapple" proof is................but never seen or heard of anything called a "Fish Proof".
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The difference in the trigger guards, perhaps easier to see in guns of the same finish...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/12395466005_b890c2dba7_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for any info.

Fake FN on top, real FN on a href="http://s744.photobucket.com/user/mgwantob/media/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/mgwantob/IMG_1846_zps5bab1ec3.jpg</a>

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7455/12395466005_b890c2dba7_b.jpg

Which is which?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Left is FN, right is FÈG.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I did this right over the park, just solvent cleaned /de-greased and painted.  

I heat the parts first before shooting the Alumahyde, then after a day, I put it in a dedicated toaster oven at 250 deg f for an hour or so.
Comes out cured way faster than air dry.

Oh about the Fish mark - I just called it what it looked like to me Doah! my bad.  It does look like a pineapple more so.

The mag safety is out, much more crisp trigger, however still HEAVY I read a little on Browning triggers, whats the simplest home-smith things to lower the pull?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/DSCN2893_zps61822ef6.jpg</a>" />

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#26]
My Cole's "Fake FN" refinished FEG just came in- consistent with the experience of other buyers, it looks MUCH better in person than in the Gunbroker photos and description. The transfer dealer refused to believe that it wasn't an FN...  

It will take a little breaking in, mostly due to the fresh Parkerizing on all the moving parts- but this has to be one of the best buys out there right now. Cole's was an absolute pleasure to work with.

(photos will follow eventually)
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
I love mine, I traded off my real FN because the fake one out shot it in every way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#28]
These are sometimes amazing shooters.  My friend picked one up after he saw mine.  His was a mis-matched frame/slide, but finish was excellent. and the thing shot great and had a 4 pound trigger pull right out of the box!  I've tweaked mine and can get to about 6 pounds, down from 11 pounds!
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:48:59 AM EDT
[#29]
The civilian ones i saw in baghdad were all blued with black grips.  Then again we found a US M1919A4 and an MG42 in a parts pile so to narrow down who made what for who is anyones guess.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thanks for any info.
View Quote

Greg Cote usually carries Mecgar 10-round mags but is out-of-stock at this instant.  Mecgar makes or used to make them for FN and are good-to-go.  About $22 from Cote when they're in stock.  If you email Greg and tell you what you want, he will email you back when they come back in stock.  Very good guy to deal with.

Getcher Mecgar BHP mags from Cote here
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#31]
As promised, a photo of the $219 Cole's FEG "Fake FN".

I changed out the grips, replaced the questionable recoil spring with a Wolff 18.5, removed the magazine disconnect, and reconditioned the firing pin (it was rusted to the firing pin spring) before running off to the range.

At the range, ran 100 115g FMJ's ( and a few HP's) through her, no failures of any kind. Action is now super-slick (after wearing in that new Parkerizing). This pistol is a KEEPER.

" />
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:40:10 AM EDT
[#33]
What time period are these from in Iraq's history?

I remember boxes of HP's that matched mine w/o the finger depression in the slide (we carried hp's and left our 92' in baggies on the tanks...circa 90/91)

Just curious, thanks
Top Top