Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2013 4:51:14 PM EDT
I've been having issues with my PF9.  When firing, the magazine is being ejected ever so slightly, but enough to prevent another round from being chambered.  I am NOT pressing the mag release, I have held the gun in the most ridiculous ways to ensure that it isn't operator error causing the malfunction.  

See the malfunction...

Any ideas what the problem is here?  It is completely random when it occurs but it is relatively often (once or twice every magazine).  Started recently out of nowhere.  Any help is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
How far is it coming out? (Hard to tell from the vid)

It's normal for the magazine to be "out" about 1-2 mm if there is a round in the magazine, and the slide is closed.

Try this, with a full magazine, with the slide closed, insert the mag.  Push on the bottom of the mag and see if it pops out.  Pull it out, and look for marks on the case or even on the bullet.  If there's no marks, try the same thing again only this time slam the mag in hard.  Try with various numbers of bullets in the mag.  You should get a little mark where the bullet or case hits the little rail in the slide.

I think you are seeing what is normal for that gun.  There normally is a gap between the mag plate and the grip, and you can push the mag up (compressing the spring).  The bullet on the follower is pushing against the little rail parallel to and under the firing pin.

Try different ammo.  My PF-9 will eat all JHP just fine, and Blazer aluminum FMJ, and just about anything decent, Remington MC 147 grain seems to work best in mine.  Put in "Winchester target FMJ" though and it's jam-o-matic.

Have you done a fluff and buff on it?  Maybe a feed ramp polish would do the trick for you.

Don't put too much weight on what it's doing until you have more than 200 rounds through it.

Also, rebuild your mags.  There are five parts; mag frame, follower, spring, plate and "spring guide".  The "spring guide" is a little flap of metal at the bottom of the spring that causes uniform pressure from the spring on the plate.  If it is out of position, the magazine will do all sorts of strange stuff.  So pull the plate off (watch for flying spring) and re-assemble the mag (lube it while you are in there).  The "spring guide" is also the reason some PF9 mags mysteriously only hold 6 rounds.  The mags are a bit tricky to assemble, but should easily take 7 rounds.

Here's a pic of "normal" with closed slide, full magazine:

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My PF9 was doing the same thing out of the box.  It's the mag release.  Just email kel-tec customer service and ask them for a new mag release.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I never could get my PF-9 to stop doing that... multiple mag catch changes and even after a new frame from Kel-Tec... never got it figured out... sold the POS.
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They have good customer service, either send it in or call them. Also, is your mag release polymer or metal?   Youtube a review of the PF9 under NutnFancy or TNP
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a friend who had the same thing with his PF-9.  He sent it back to Keltec twice IIRC and it was never able to be resolved.  The first time, Keltec replaced the mag release with a better steel one but it didn't help.  He ended up selling it.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2013 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I just replaced mine.  I had the steel one and it started failing.   Just got the replacement a couple days ago,  still metal,  but the design has changed since they introduced steel magazine releases and the mag spring seemed different.

Even if the swap works, I will be considering selling this thing if a buy back program comes around and buy something nicer off some one else in the line.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm having the same issue.  Already replaced the extractor with a free one sent by Kel Tec customer service due to extraction problems.  Getting tired of a this handgun acting like my 14 year old F150.  Seems like I'm always working on it.  Thinking about putting it up on ArmsList and dumping it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine has been awesome.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
My mag would drop down about  1/4" during firing without hitting the mag release. Of course the next round wouldn't chamber. I got tired of being told I had to hold the gun a certain way for it to cycle and let another owner give it a whirl. Having to pay freight down to Florida for repair on a new gun didn't sit well with me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you using the  factory+1 mag extensions? I've had tons of problems with them because Kel-Tec seemed to miss Drafting/Design 101 and the radiuses don't match. Even without them it's been a non-stop FTE machine even after 400 rounds. Kel-Tec was nice enough to offer for me to pay to ship it back to them. :

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#11]
double tap.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My PF9 was doing the same thing out of the box.  It's the mag release.  Just email kel-tec customer service and ask them for a new mag release.
View Quote

That was my experience and solution
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top