Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2012 7:31:18 PM EDT
This is probably common knowledge. I bought my P3at recently for CCW and bought some Tula ammo to go shoot in it....i couldnt even get the stuff to chamber. It kind pissed me off so i tried some of my hornady and it did flawlessly. Tula is shaped like 9x18 that russian round for the Makarov i think real fat ball looking ammo and it wont chamber. Anyone else find this, i dont see anythjng in my manual about it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Solution buy better quality ammo. I have shot hundreds of rounds of S&B with out issue which can be had for #15 or less per 50 a box, usually i can fined 100rd boxes of Winchester for around $30 a box. I only shoot Tula through my AK everything else I own is brass case. P3ATs are somewhat finicky at least in my experience for the first 200rs or so, I shot mine and after the first 50rds have not had a failure since, I am up to about 500rds through it now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes and that was basically my point though I never thought it wouldn't go into battery....I mean all ammo should be the same right??? Clearly that is a no
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Stuff I tried fed and chambered well.  But those hard as hell primers resulted in about a 15% failure to fire ratio!   Kinda a shame as the stuff shot really great groups.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I will take some pictures and post when i get in to town because truly i am not seeing why it wouldn't chamber.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Tula shoots fine in my PF9. Mine is a newer one with the Green Ceracoat slide (late 2011 manufactured). I've never experianced any issues with it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The 9x19 has a round nose and the 9x18 has a conical nose. Interested in a pic of the rounds in question.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is picky as well.  It likes the nice brass or nickel coated stuff.  I actually called them about it, and they said in not so specific words that it is a CCW...thus a defense round should be used.  From my experience most "defense rounds" are quality rounds.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If I had to compare it to something I would say it looks more like 9x18 than a short 9x19. I am thinking this is why it won't chamber properly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Tula is the bottom of the barrel of ammo.

if you are using it and have problems try different ammo.
if you are using it and it works you are lucky
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Tula is garbage ammo.  I don't trust it at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#11]
for a lot of pocket rocket .380s, i've seen that various makes/models and individual guns will tend to have certain brands/types that it will and will not feed

i've seen UMC/remington, vaious HPs, etc not feed in guns that feed tula ball just fine--my P3AT is one. and vice versa

just ackowlege that all guns can have prefered ammo diets; some are just more picky than others...esp. pocket rockets (smaller everything=lower tolerances and durability and so forth)
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tula is garbage ammo.  I don't trust it at all.
View Quote

You'd think they would at least be able to use the correct bullet.

Fuck
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
My P3AT eats Tula .380.
BUT and this is a big but, seems the timing is off just a bit and as a result the font of the magazine followers is getting dinged up.
In one mag the follower has been smashed to bitts.
My P3AT is a first gen and using Tula may be the cause of the followers being damaged.
I have fired hundreds of rounds of brass case ammo with no issues so the Tula is suspect.
Oh well live and learn.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Tried Tula in my Kahr CW45, same issue, locked the gun up tight, it chambered some but once chambered they could not be removed with out firing the gun, some partially chambered and locked the gun up, had to carefully push the slide on the end of a bench to get the round out.

I won't shoot any Tula out of my PF9, my AK eats it up though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#15]
My PF9 ran pretty well with tula brassmax. The 100rd plastic drums you can find at walmart. I ran mostly winchester white box and tula brassmax and as long as you kept a firm wrist it worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
My P-11 will not chamber any steel case ammo.  Period.  My Armalite M-15 will not chamber it nor will my Bushmaster. The steel cased ammo does have it's place....in weapons designed for it....and nowhere else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes and that was basically my point though I never thought it wouldn't go into battery....I mean all ammo should be the same right??? Clearly that is a no
View Quote

Nope. I've shot a lot of Wolf steel .45acp thru multiple handguns with no issues. But I picked up several boxes of Silver Bear (zinc plated steel cased) ammo and it's all out of spec, some guns run it, but the ones with tighter tolerances won't. I have a Ruger .45acp revolver, when I try to manually load the Silver Bear it seems that every other round will not fully seat. All my Wolf and any brass cased ammo fits fine.

Normally I've had best luck with Brown Bear steel cased ammo so I was surprised the Silver Bear .45acp was that bad. All the Monarch steel cased ammo I've tried (9mm, 7.62x39 & 5.45x39) has been fine. But it depends up how tight your chamber is vs how 'loose' the ammo tolerances are. For best reliability you can't beat brass case, it feeds better and expands in the chamber so your chamber usually stays cleaner. Anytime I shoot steel case I always hit the chamber with a brush when cleaning. And if you're shooting both, shoot all your brass first, then steel. When that steel cased ammo allows some blowback to foul your chamber that makes it easier for the brass ammo to stick. That's been my experience with 5.56.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top