Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2017 5:45:14 PM EDT
I have run across a used one in great condition for sale. The price isn't awesome but it's not horrible.

Just wondering what everyone thought about this model.

I'm not really into adjustable sights so I would have to replace them with night sights.

It does not have the Firing Pin Safety which seems to get mixed opinions. On one hand you get a better trigger pull, on the other hand you don't have a FPS for safety reasons.

Ambidextrous safety and slide lock. Not sure how I feel about this feature.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, it's a 75 without the FPS and ambi-controls. I guess you just need to decide if those features are important to you or not.
Otherwise, I would have no objections to it at all.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Pre B CZ 85 (therefore, no firing pin block).  I love it.  I know it doesn't feel any different in my hand than a CZ 75 would feel but I just like it.  I like the idea of the ambidextrous controls.

As far as the firing pin safety or lack of it making a difference in the trigger, well, all I can say is I have a couple of CZ 75 Compacts (with the firing pin block) that have better single action trigger pulls than the Pre CZ 85.

I've heard CZ has stopped making the CZ 85 models.  They no longer show on the CZ USA web site as available models.

If true, they won't be making anymore of them so they'll be harder and harder to find for sale.  Get it now and you won't ever be looking for one, as the price goes up in the coming years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I love it.

The firing pin channel is easier to clean, the hammer is the same (not like the shadow which isn't as safe)

The ambi controls I don't really care one way or the other.

I do wish CZ would just release a normal non-B version (not the shadow, that has issues with hammer wear and is less drop safe than an 85 combat)
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love it.

The firing pin channel is easier to clean, the hammer is the same (not like the shadow which isn't as safe)

The ambi controls I don't really care one way or the other.

I do wish CZ would just release a normal non-B version (not the shadow, that has issues with hammer wear and is less drop safe than an 85 combat)
View Quote

What are you talking about, issues with hammer wear on the Shadow? Many of us own Shadows with plenty of rounds through them and no abnormal wear.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 2:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The Combat is generally considered desirable and hard to find.

Most of the desirability comes from the fact that it has no FPB.  (better trigger, especially for some of the gun games where you are not allowed to remove a FPB because it is considered a "safety", but the Combat is allowed since that is the factory configuration)

My personal opinion on a FPB is that they were invented by lawyers and have no purpose in the real world. 1911s didn't have them for 70 years are were just fine.

If you are going to swap the sights anyway, and don't care about a little extra grittiness from the FPB then a regular CZ-85 is cheaper.  If you don't need or want ambi controls than the -75 is cheaper (and far, far easier to find in stock) than the 85.

I have zero use myself for ambi controls, but my oldest daughter is left eye dominant and prefers to shoot left handed, so the ambi controls on my CZ-85 come in handy when she uses it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
No matter how many new pistols I try, the CZ 85 Combat is still my favorite.  I shoot LH so the ambi safety is nice.  I also like the sights.  If you don't care about those features then maybe a different model is better for you and someone who does appreciate them should probably be the one to pick up the pistol.  But yeah, they seem to be discontinued so if you're at all interested in buying one then now might be the time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have run across a used one in great condition for sale. The price isn't awesome but it's not horrible.

Just wondering what everyone thought about this model.

I'm not really into adjustable sights so I would have to replace them with night sights.

It does not have the Firing Pin Safety which seems to get mixed opinions. On one hand you get a better trigger pull, on the other hand you don't have a FPS for safety reasons.

Ambidextrous safety and slide lock. Not sure how I feel about this feature.
View Quote

What's the price? AIM Surplus has CZ-75 Pre-B's for about $399. Good gun. 85 is just a 75B with ambi controls.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got an older one. If I could own only one handgun the CZ85 would be it.  I've had this one since 1993.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 of the CZ85's

Can't beat them.  1 is a preB that I worked on and will now take B magazines.

Trigger is like butter on a doorknob
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What's the price? AIM Surplus has CZ-75 Pre-B's for about $399. Good gun. 85 is just a 75B with ambi controls.
View Quote

He wants to swap in night sights.  I like the Pre-B guns a lot myself, but not set up for modern dovetail sights.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He wants to swap in night sights.  I like the Pre-B guns a lot myself, but not set up for modern dovetail sights.
View Quote

They're already gone now anyway.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be warned the factory rear sight is a PITA to remove, mine was peened in place

I used the tip of a file to remove the peen, it took me like 4 hours lol

That said, I love it! Trigger is AMAZING

Also... the 85combat has a larger hammer notch than many designs, I think it's pretty safe unless your dropping it safety-off on concrete
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Great guns. I have a PreB I modified to use regular B magazine.

I believe CZ is discontinuing the 85. Not sure though.

I would get it just for that reason.

The surplus guns are drying up ( look at CDIsales on GB, they are almost out) and the prices can only go up
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
The early Pre B's used a staked on front sight, similar to a 1911, except the tenon goes down through the barrel bushing and holds it in, too.  It's hard to find front sights for those.

The later Pre B's (still no firing pin block safety in them but they have the pinned in front sight like the B models.

Some Pre B's have a rounded trigger guard and some have the squared off trigger guard of the B model.

I think there's more than one "transition" model of the Pre B guns.

The Pre B CZ 85 parts (safeties, slide releases, hammer are still available from CZ Custom).   I know, I ordered those parts and installed on a modified CZ 75 Compact so that it looks/operates like a CZ 85 Compact.

The single safety for the Pre B CZ 75 are not.  If you get one, be careful and don't lose any parts to the safety.

I was thinking if I ran across another CZ 85 (Pre B or B) I'd buy it just to put away since they appear to no longer be in CZ's catalog.

Good luck with your search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top