Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2016 12:47:23 PM EDT
Like the title says I need recommendations on what model to get and why. I am looking at the CZ 75 SP-01 and the tactical version. Also decocker or safety model? I usually shoot a Glock 34 gen 4. If you have any other variants in 9mm that you recommend I would appreciate that as well. Thanks Guys!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Edit - someone needs to drink coffee and then post on Saturday mornings... see my followup...

SP-01 - Safety model, manually decock (all the way to the slide) if you run SSP. Can be run cocked and locked in ESP with the SSP exemption.

SP-01 Tactical - Decocker - easier to "Make Ready" in SSP, can't be run cocked and locked and otherwise must be "SSP" legal to run in ESP, so it's more of a one division gun.

My two cents, either are fine. The safety model adds some division flexibility even though it needs to stay in SSP configuration.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SP-01 - Safety model, manually decock (all the way to the slide) if you run SSP. Can be run cocked and locked in ESP with the SSP exemption.

SP-01 Tactical - Decocker - easier to "Make Ready" in SSP, can't be run cocked and locked and otherwise must be "SSP" legal to run in ESP, so it's more of a one division gun.

My two cents, either are fine. The safety model adds some division flexibility even though it needs to stay in SSP configuration.
View Quote

So the safety model can be run cocked and locked from the holster in production? I'm not familiar with your acronyms sorry. @Ulfhednar_42
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So the safety model can be run cocked and locked from the holster in production? I'm not familiar with your acronyms sorry. @Ulfhednar_42
View Quote

Sorry derp moment - I posted before coffee and was having a heck of  brain fart. I replaced USPSA with IDPA for some reason. Strike my entire previous reply...

USPSA is a bit more permissive on the approved list, if you are flush with cash, you can run an accu-shadow from CZ-Custom. Whether the 1000 dollar uptick in cost is worthwhile to you is a different matter entirely.

You'll have to draw and fire from decocked in production, the decocker makes this easier - 1 it's a lever push, 2 it drops the hammer half way meaning there's a bit less trigger pull to fire from draw.

If you start replacing parts, the safety models supposedly have more potential. I don't have a tuned decocker to tell the difference with.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a tanfoglio
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sorry derp moment - I posted before coffee and was having a heck of  brain fart. I replaced USPSA with IDPA for some reason. Strike my entire previous reply...

USPSA is a bit more permissive on the approved list, if you are flush with cash, you can run an accu-shadow from CZ-Custom. Whether the 1000 dollar uptick in cost is worthwhile to you is a different matter entirely.

You'll have to draw and fire from decocked in production, the decocker makes this easier - 1 it's a lever push, 2 it drops the hammer half way meaning there's a bit less trigger pull to fire from draw.

If you start replacing parts, the safety models supposedly have more potential. I don't have a tuned decocker to tell the difference with.
View Quote

Okay so sounds like a decocker model is what I would need for production since you can't run cocked and locked. Thanks for the help! I would probably just get the tactical model instead of splurging on a 1k gun right away. @Ulfhednar_42
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Okay so sounds like a decocker model is what I would need for production since you can't run cocked and locked. Thanks for the help! I would probably just get the tactical model instead of splurging on a 1k gun right away. @Ulfhednar_42
View Quote

You can decock the safety model, but you have to pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly by holding it, let go of the trigger and let the hammer come to rest. I'm sure this has at some point or another caused a ND and MDQ, it's something to practice with on snap caps to avoid winging it and going home early.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just get a SP-01 Tactical.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#9]
SP-01 Tactical with a CGW Production Legal Kit or just wait for the Shadow 2
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're starting from scratch in USPSA Production, go for the Shadow 2.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#11]
No one shoots a decocker in production.

Get the base level Shadow SP01 or the Tanfo Stock II.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can decock the safety model, but you have to pull the trigger and let the hammer down slowly by holding it, let go of the trigger and let the hammer come to rest. I'm sure this has at some point or another caused a ND and MDQ, it's something to practice with on snap caps to avoid winging it and going home early.
View Quote

It's not an issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
This

CZ Custom SP01 Shadow custom 2014.  / thread

I shoot one in production.  It got me to A class.  My wife shoots one in production.  I also have a 2013  CZ75 Shadow, same gun but with short dust cover instead of rail.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an issue.
Yeah. I do this with live rounds 20+ times a week on the range and every new RO/SO & fellow shooter says the same thing, "man, that makes me uneasy, I could never do that."

It's just not an issue, blocking the hammer with your thumb makes it impossible for anything bad to happen if you've got two neurons rubbing between your ears. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah. I do this with live rounds 20+ times a week on the range and every new RO/SO & fellow shooter says the same thing, "man, that makes me uneasy, I could never do that."

It's just not an issue, blocking the hammer with your thumb makes it impossible for anything bad to happen if you've got two neurons rubbing between your ears. 
View Quote

I thought my point was pretty clear - if you're going to get a safety model and run production, practice decocking it, know how before you LMR, and keep it pointed at the backstop when you do.

Given the latest video shooting around the intertubes today, I'm sure there are a few spare neurons out there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Late reply, but the CZ Shadow 2 looks awesome. Thanks for the input guys. The idea of decocking a safety model doesn't bother me really.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#17]
If I was going to compete, I would have no problem running my SP01 Shadow from the CZ Custom Shop. IMO, one of the best handguns you can get for under $1000.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If you can, get the Shadow. You won't be disappointed

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you can, get the Shadow. You won't be disappointed

http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc426/jlheard3/DSC00441.jpg
View Quote

Awesome looking gun. I just talked to CZ-USA and decided I am going to be waiting on the Shadow 2.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I have been looking for an answer to this same question.  I gather from the previous posts that the shadow 2 WILL be uspsa production legal.  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Custom Shop SP-01 Shadow earlier this year. If I were to shoot competition, this is the gun I would use. Best pistol you can buy for under $1000.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that effectively a SP-01 Shadow?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have been looking for an answer to this same question.  I gather from the previous posts that the shadow 2 WILL be uspsa production legal.  Is this correct?
View Quote

Yes, it is not on the production list yet but it will be eventually. The sooner the better. @PhilDNice. I currently am on a pre-order list for one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#24]
For $850 the CZ Custom SP01 shadow is ready to go out of the box.  Upgrade parts on a stock gun would get you in that price range if you want to tinker.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Shadow custom target.  Adjustable sights, no firing pin block, dead sexy trigger straight out of the box.  I used one for the last year and had pretty good success with it.

Middle one in this family pic.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I started w/ the SP-01, had Matt Mink work on it, then eventually moved to an Accu-Shadow. IF you stick with the sport, you will eventually want to ditch the FPB. Why you can't chuck it out of your SP-01 when a Shadow exists is a bit ridiculous to me, but that's the rules.

Long story short? Start with a Shadow if you can get one. Prices may be coming down a hair now that Shadow II's are shipping.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I started w/ the SP-01, had Matt Mink work on it, then eventually moved to an Accu-Shadow. IF you stick with the sport, you will eventually want to ditch the FPB. Why you can't chuck it out of your SP-01 when a Shadow exists is a bit ridiculous to me, but that's the rules.

Long story short? Start with a Shadow if you can get one. Prices may be coming down a hair now that Shadow II's are shipping.
View Quote
I like the Shadow, but if I notice the FPB on my SP01, I'm shooting too slow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Went ahead and pre ordered a Shadow 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top