Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 6:00:39 PM EDT
Im a little confused on which ones are gtg.

The 18 round variety - are mecgar the choice?

Who has them for the best price? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
MecGar is GTG and look at Greg Cote
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes to Greg Cote and the Mec Gar AFC's.  One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy the 17 round AFC's, you can add the +2 adapter to get to 19 rounds for another $9.  If you buy the 19 round +2 AFC's, you cannot buy the base plate to get back to the 17 round config.  Something to consider if you are competing or thinking of trying to conceal the SP-01.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 20 of the MECGARs used between three pistols. They have been flawless for a couple thousand rounds. Never bothered with anything else, really.

ATW!
-Fox
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
They're GTG.

Be careful about slamming Mec Gar mags into place with a lot of force. If the rounds can bounce in the mag, the follower or rounds can flip, causing a malfunction that requires disassembling the mag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.

The cz oem mags looked very expensive around $45-50. More than my hk mags.

Good to know mecgar is gtg
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep reading that Mecgar makes the CZ magazines.  The difference is CZ magazines say CZ on them and cost almost 2X as the mags. that say Mecgar on them.

I've bought quite a few Mecgar magazines for my full size and compact CZ 75 types.  They've all worked great so far.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep reading that Mecgar makes the CZ magazines.  The difference is CZ magazines say CZ on them and cost almost 2X as the mags. that say Mecgar on them.

I've bought quite a few Mecgar magazines for my full size and compact CZ 75 types.  They've all worked great so far.
View Quote

They do.... The mags that came with my 75 look identical in every aspect except labeleling.
I buy them for my CZ and Sig pistols.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I can tell you that MecGar SP-01 magazines do NOT function in the SP-01 Phantom. Mags are sitting in the packaging waiting for a place to go.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can tell you that MecGar SP-01 magazines do NOT function in the SP-01 Phantom. Mags are sitting in the packaging waiting for a place to go.
View Quote

According to everyone over on the CZ Forum, they should work.  Check the packaging and make sure you got what you actually ordered.  The guys over there said some had initially issues with them dropping free but that resolved itself with use.  I have an SP-01 but not the Shadow model.  Just going by what they said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know you said Phantom but... My SP-01 Tactical run the Meg-Gars from Greg Cote very well. Is there something different about the Phantom's grip or internal frame parts? I have a significant number of Mec-Gars for the P-01 and 97B as well. Never, ever a problem.

And to the poster that mentioned slamming the mags hard... I slam the Mec-Gars hard every reload when training and I've never had a malfunction nor had to disassemble the mags after.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
the phantom is polymer
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, the Phantom is a special snowflake and you may just need to track down Phantom mags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The Mec Gar mags seem to be a little more substantial than the stock CZ mags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the phantom is polymer
View Quote

Ah.... I could have swore they were steel or an alloy... That explains it!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Mec Gar mags seem to be a little more substantial than the stock CZ mags.
View Quote

I find the springs in the Mec-Gars are stiffer/stronger than the CZ mags that came with my CZ pistols... You would think they would be the exact same spring tension. And in my experience, a little more spring tension is better than a little less.  I download all my mags by at least (1) because I've found time and again no matter the pistol platform that magazine spring tension stays fresh and longer. This is especially true if the mags are to be loaded for an extended period of time... I know the mantra, "it's cycling that fatigues springs not a constant load." But this hasn't been my experience with pistol magazines; especially 1911's and M&P's. Namely, Wilson Combat brand 47D's are the worst offender of losing tension and causing an otherwise flawless pistol to malfunction...  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top