Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2014 2:06:15 PM EDT
I bought my CZ75 from Simmons out of Bessemer AL thru gunbroker for $480.00 late last year. This saved me a trip down to their store so with the shipping and FFL charge I broke even when all's considered.

I didn't shoot it much what with weather, holidays, etc., but I was impressed with the accuracy and handling. To be honest, the trigger sucks.

So early in June I rounded up some reloads (Precision Delta 115 FMJ's over 4.5 grains of Titegroup) and headed to the range. I also took a "Sprinco Recoil Management Guide Rod System" link. I stumbled on this gizmo some years back and have been curious about its operation.

Here's one for the 1911 platform, which doesn't resemble the one for the CZ. I haven't been able to find a pic of the CZ model and it isn't on Brownells, etc. I'll try and fire up my wife's Canon and add the real McCoy, but my pics aren't the best. Stay tuned.

So I went to the range and set up at 7 yards. The bench is about waist high or a little higher so I turned a bucket over and laid a small shooting rug on top. This was stable, but I had to hunker down a bit.

My targets had a 1" square and I used a 6 o'clock hold.

The first 15 rounds were with the stock recoil spring.

Next I changed the spings to the Sprinco and shot another 15 rounds.

Not quite as tight as the stock spring. The brass dropped in a slightly different location as well.

I switched back to the stock spring and shot freehand, 15 rounds.

Next it was back to the Sprinco, 15 rounds freehand. By this time a pretty good storm was about to roll in so I might have hurried a bit but I think the results somewhat mirror the difference I saw between the first two strings shot off the bucket.

As to recoil, I didn't experience enough difference to detect. Of course, I was taking a break to swap out springs so it wasn't the best comparison, IMO. And the weight of the CZ mitigates recoil with what I was shooting.

So, all in all, the device functions. It may be with a hotter load the results would change, but I load to around 1100 fps since I also shoot a High Power and don't care to bash the frame with hot loads. I do plan on loading some 125 grain FMJs later this summer and then, due to cost savings, move on to cast bullets.

Would I buy a Sprinco for my High Power or one of my other pistols? I don't think so at this time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool review. I stumbled upon that recoil system when I was looking around for stuff to tinker on with my P-01. The general consensus of the reviews all mirrored yours, a resounding "meh." Decided it wasn't worth trying at $80.
Interesting that it changed how tightly your gun grouped though. I wonder if it was a fluke or if that change would be repeatable?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the dpm recoil system. I tested it side by side on two identical CZ's. The one with the fancy recoil rod had the ever slightest less recoil. I would have never known the difference.  Maybe it works better on higher pressure rounds but for me it wasn't worth the cost.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cool review. I stumbled upon that recoil system when I was looking around for stuff to tinker on with my P-01. The general consensus of the reviews all mirrored yours, a resounding "meh." Decided it wasn't worth trying at $80.
Interesting that it changed how tightly your gun grouped though. I wonder if it was a fluke or if that change would be repeatable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I tightened up the captions to make them clearer. From the rest (bucket) the stock springs (1st picture) resulted in a somewhat tighter group than the Sprinco.

From standing the difference was less pronounced, still the stock springs "won".

Small sample, less than scientific setting, etc. I suppose when I shoot out my stock recoil spring I'll have a backup and maybe another trial with a heavier bullet.

Half the fun of shooting is futzing around with stuff like this.

Quoted:
I have the dpm recoil system. I tested it side by side on two identical CZ's. The one with the fancy recoil rod had the ever slightest less recoil. I would have never known the difference.  Maybe it works better on higher pressure rounds but for me it wasn't worth the cost.

That's the only way to get an accurate read on the recoil. Unfortunately I only have one 75!

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I never thought that the CZ-75 had much recoil in the first place.

It certainly has much less than other handguns.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to make a huge improvement in your trigger for a small amount of money get the SPGK1 from cajun gun works. I recently installed it and it makes a world of difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top