Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2016 7:06:34 PM EDT
I have a chance to pick up this pistol for about $300.00..assuming its in good shape..is it worth it. Never handled or shot one but the guys over at Brian Enos seem to like it..advice?
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
only if is the MK12 with the "glock-style" takedown levers.  The one where the trigger guard pivots(Makarov style) has been known to break and their warranty support is minimal at best.  Otherwise they are without a doubt one of the greatest pistols available today with an astoundingly good trigger and minimal recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I disagree with the above comment.  I think the MK7 models are just fine and I actually prefer them.  On the MK7, the trigger guard actually also acts as a buffer.  The part is available from Eagle Imports and is easily replaced (and inexpensive).  I also recall reading somewhere that Jaroslav said the trigger guards were good for 30,000 rounds.

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the durability of Makarovs, and that's the way they take down as well.

This is not meant as a diss to dwcopple.  Just explaining my opposing opinion.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never heard of anyone complaining about the durability of Makarovs, and that's the way they take down as well.

View Quote

Makarov's are not polymer.  The cracking/breaking issue is well documented, and that is why we have an MK12 frame now with no other changes from the MK7
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a link to the breaking issue?  I've never heard of it.  Maybe the STI versions (pre MK7) were the ones breaking?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
"The trigger guard on the pre-MK12 grip frames was designed as a built in and periodically replaceable slide buffer. By design it takes a little abuse and will begin to distort. If it's swapped out every 20K, there should be no problem. If you run hotter ammo, it might need replacing faster.

Unfortunately what we found is that the trigger guard disassembly system caused some owners stress.

Some tried to pull the trigger guard straight down for disassembly, instead of forward and then down. This caused added stress in the lock up area and grips would fail.

Some folks periodically forgot to snap the trigger guard shut during reassembly, and that allowed added slide travel and again could cause grips to crack.

For the Mk7 frame, the area where the trigger guard anchors was beefed up, and the trigger guard was slightly widened as it gets closer to the magazine release.
These upgrades eliminated a large number of the user induced frame problems, but not all.

For the Mk12 frames, the trigger guard is solid and there is no slide buffer. Also on the MK12 models, the frame insert is serial numbered, not the grip."

This sums it up nicely I think
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy it. I love mine. It has been the pistol that I enjoy shooting the most.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
For 300 bucks I would get that in a half a hearbeat

They really are excellent pistols

If you don't get it, can you get me the guys info?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The Mk7 guns are still excellent shooters. The trigger guard was designed as a shock buffer and should be available in the system for a few years more.

The majority of the parts are interchangeable. For the price, it's hard to beat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top