Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2016 10:44:35 PM EDT
This is a bit of a journey story, so if you are the TL;DR type, skip to the last line or two.

So,  back in 2009 I bought a Jericho 941 in 9mm.  I had seen a guy at the range with a Baby Eagle and decided I had to have one.  I ordered a steel frame full sized one with the rail.  Loved it.  From a rest, the first magazine grouped one big hole at 10 yds.  Yay Israeli craftsmanship. It's big, heavy and has a light single action trigger. Fast forward one year and I got a Degroat Mk99mod0 9mm can.  Ran it on my Sig 226 and was satisfied for a while.  I started thinking about the 941 and had images of Mossad agents prowling around Europe removing jihadis with quiet dispensation and decided to research threaded barrel options.  My first landing was a post on here about the fact that EAA Witness barrels would fit with a small area machined(dremeled) away for the guide rod to rest in.  With that info, I ordered an extended EAA Witness barrel, and after about 1.5-2 months and close to $200 later, it arrived.  

We are at early 2011 at this point.  In late 2011, I move from Alabama to Mississippi.  Project 941 goes on back burner.  In mid 2013, I connect with Dixie Precision Rifles in Brandon MS( about an hour from my house) about doing some work on my CMP 40x barreled action, as in set the chamber back and recrown.  While picking it up and looking over his shop (precision rifles, suppressors etc.) I ask him about threading a pistol barrel.  He says he can do it to any thread pitch within parameters, but he's not a pistol smith, so fitting the barrel is a no-go.  Due to my work schedule, and Adult ADD, it's mid 2014 before I get him the barrel, and since I'm not really in a hurry, I tell him put it in the rainy day project bin and I'll check in every month or so.  In about 2 months, I have a cut and threaded barrel.  At that point I inquire about a pistol smith who is capable of fitting it to my pistol.  Jackie Goodman's name of Guns Brass and Bullets in Ferriday LA comes up.  I call him, explain what I have and what I need, and he says no problem.  So it gets sent off to him.  Fast forward two months and I am passing through the area on my way to a work conference and decide to stop in and check him out in person.  We chat for about 30 minutes and while there I notice the awards and certificates for competition and see some Colt factory pistol forgings.  He tells me he used to work in  the Colt custom shop, so I thought "he really knows his shit."  He says it will be a few more weeks and I agree to call him in a month or so.  At the three month mark of him having the barrel, he tells me that it is next up on his bench, or something really similar, because I get happy and say "GREAT!"  At about the four month mark I call again and ask how it's going and at this point he tells me that the barrel can not be fitted to my pistol and there's nothing he can do.  I say fine and ask him to send it back to Dixie.  Develop opinion on "Colt Custom Shop Gunsmith" that is not very favorable.  

We are at late 2014 approximately at this point.  Project 941 is shelved.  Again.  

It is now present day.  Or actually about 6 days ago.  I decide to do it myself.  WECSOG and all that.  Last month I bought a Tungsten Carbide bit for my Dremel in anticipation for having another go at this. Using a digital caliper, I take measurements off the factory barrel and going SLOWLY, I grind away at the guide rod notch on the EAA barrel.  After about 2 minutes, including bathroom and drink breaks, I finish.  Barrel will drop into the slide, guide rod in place, slide on frame and take down pin goes in.  And that's as far as I can go. Wall #1. The slide will not go forward or backward.  Disassemble, make comparison measurements on factory barrel and decide EAA barrel needs some Dremeling around the underside of the chamber area.  30 minutes later and we get a little more movement when assembled.  Disassemble and do some more.  And then we hit Wall #2.  Slide will go backwards all the way but not forward.  

A lot of looking, head scratching and Googling leads me to  conclude barrel locking lugs are not deep enough.  A visit to Brownell's turns up a $50ish 1911 barrel lug file.  Since the two platforms are kinda similar, I decide to order the file.  I searched Google, Ebay and Amazon and found no cheaper alternative for the square, two opposing safe surface configuration of the Brownell's file.  Got it today.  Immediately discover the lugs on the EAA/941 barrel are smaller than the file.  So with my Black and Decker 1/2"  handheld belt sander, I grind down the two safe sides, using a digital caliper to get just under the barrel lug width on the EAA barrel.  Hindsight being what it is, I could have ground two safe sides on a regular file and saved $40 plus shipping.  Live and learn.  Again, measuring periodically, comparing to the factory barrel and test fitting/assembling about a dozen times, I get it to fit.  Slide moves forward and backward.  It's a little stiff going forward into battery, but I hand cycle it 20-30 times and decide good enough is good enough.  I attach the suppressor, load a magazine, put on a thick welding glove and big ass ear muffs, and after telling my wife to watch me through the window for trouble, I go outside.  

The signals are: if I fall to the ground or something blows up, call 911.  If I give a thumbs up or jump up and down excitedly, everything's fine, resume bath.   I run 5 rounds of subsonic 147 through first.  I have one failure to feed.  I run 5 standard velocity 115s through next. Again, one failure to feed.  A few times the slide didn't go fully into battery, and the hammer dropped but the safety prevented OOB discharge.  Or, maybe the firing pin didn't reach. I don't really know.  Regardless, I insert the full mag of 15 and take off the welding glove and big ass ear muffs.  Out of 15 rounds of 147gr flat nose FMJ, I had two or three FTFs and one or two failures to go fully into battery.  other than that, no issues.  I checked the first 5 cases for bad signs.  No bad signs.  Firing pin strike just a millimeter or two out of dead center.  No bulges, ruptures or anything like that.  All that seems to need be done now is maybe some polishing of filed surfaces and maybe some feed ramp adjustment, as the EAA ramp differs slightly from the 941 ramp.  

Afterthought: I searched the web EXTENSIVELY for threaded barrels, pictures of 941s with threaded barrels, pistol smiths that claimed to do world record winning work on anything except the Jericho, IWI's email address that I blew up. NADA.  ZILCH.  I know this isn't the most popular pistol, but aside from ONE pistol that a well known threading outfit buggered up and ADCO had to fix, there were no examples I could find of a threaded 941 that didn't have an extension added to the factory barrel that had to be taken off for disassembly.  I wanted a semi-factory look and was willing to do what it took to get it, including doing the hard part myself.  Having hit 40 last month, I've decided if I can't pay a professional to do something, I'll do it myself if humanly possible.  I have no: drill press, lathe, milling machine, shop or friends with any of the aforementioned gear. It's me, a Dremel, some hand tools, a checking account and the internet.  If I can do it, so can you.  

Edit- Cost breakdown:
EAA Witness extended barrel- $200 or so in 2011
Cut and thread job-$90 in 2014
Brownell's 1911 lug file-$55 or so plus $20 extra so I could get it in 2 days instead of after I go back on the boat
2 Nicholson files from local hardware store-$15
Total- $380
And a lot of waiting, calling, emailing, waiting, researching, waiting, and biting the proverbial bullet

TL;DR: EAA Witness barrel+files+dremel+2 hours= Jericho 941/Baby Eagle threaded barrel

Some pics if they load:

Two Nicholson files and the Brownell's 1911 barrel lug file on bottom
</a>" />

1911 barrel lug file side ground down to fit inside lug recess. Exciting
</a>" />

EAA barrel with "mods" on left. Factory 941 barrel on right
</a>" />

Guide rod notch cut on EAA barrel and some "mods" visible
</a>" />

Locking lug recesses filed on EAA barrel
</a>" />

And the baby unicorn.  7 years in the planning and making
</a>" />
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations.  Great feeling finishing a long time project like that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Well done sir
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it. Good work.

I recently noted the similarity between my HS2000 (Croatia - now known as the XD9) pistol barrel design and my CZ 99 (Yugoslavia aka Serbia) pistol barrel design. It is pretty apparent the HS2000 barrel and locking block were copied from the CZ 99. I've been looking casually for a 5" XD9 barrel to experiment with - the goal being able to suppress my CZ 99.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top