Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 3:08:42 AM EDT
Uncle just acquired one.  Good looking pistol.  Unfortunately seems to have some bugs in it.

Fires fine.  But pulls the rim off of the case and fails to extract.  Replaced the extractor, but they sent one that was longer (I'm assuming it's for a newer version of this pistol), so it had to be "fit" to the pistol.  This one is an early B model.  We know very little about these things other than it's kind of cool.  

What else might be wrong, what goes wrong, and what to lookout for?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't help with a fix but I just got a new one about 2 weeks ago, it's a real handcannon with my handloads. Did you contact Coonan? They might be able to help.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the chamber good and clean?
Just a thought.........
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
As said above, I would check the chamber for cleanliness first. Only real issue I had with the model B I used to own was that it would stove pipe live rounds.  when the mag got down to 2 or 3
rounds left, the top round would jump up and get stuck vertically between the barrel tang and breechface. Never was able to figure it out, and this was after they closed up shop. recently acquired another model B to replace it and have not had any issues with this one whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there a lead ring in the chamber from shooting lots of .38 specials?

You can remove it with a Lewis Lead Remover or some copper Chore Boy.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay guys.  Wanted to give you an update and my thanks.

I don't actually have the pistol in hand.  I merely started the thread out of curiosity and to see if it would provide some insight.  

After speaking with my uncle it appears that after the chamber has been cleaned well, and a little polishing, the pistol will now shoot several rounds before FTE.

He did replace the extractor and immediately had to file on it to get it to fit as it was much too long.

He contacted Dan Coonan and apparently this model B was produced/made after Dan was gone from the company.  Dan Coonan claims this particular pistol has had the slide drilled incorrectly and that's why the replacement extractor doesn't fit.  Dan told him if he found a machine shop or gunsmith that could make him an extractor, that he would provide the measurements needed.

Thanks to all that responded!  It appears this particular Model B is an "in-between" year.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Dan is a good guy, met him at SHOT back in the early 90s when I owned two of his Model Bs.  Got my first one back in 86' and second in the early 90s.  Never had any issues and mine would feed empty .38 SPL cases.  Only issue I ever had was when I first went to Germany with mine in Feb 88', picked up 100 rds of 125 gr JSP CCI Blaser ammo so I won't have to chase my cases on the snow covered range.  Loaded 5 rds in the mag and first round had a case rupture inside the chamber.  Ended up CCI replacing the barrel and slide.  Used to shoot bowling pin and ISPC with mine.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top