Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
They are throw away guns, someone brought me one to tear down and look at a few years ago and that was the last time I ever let someone bring me one of those. They are pos....
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If the OP can get a FEG for $209 I'd certainly say yes over a Hi Point, but I've not seen one for under $250 since the panic last year. Most I see now are around $350 in good/fair shape from dealers, maybe less from a private sale. But I won't say anything bad about the Hi Point, I had a 995TS carbine for years, although the accuracy was only mediocre it was 100% reliable. A co -worker bought a HP .45 to carry in his saddle bags as a 'truck gun' and has not had any problems. And most cheap entry level guns are usually 9mm, the Hi Point comes in .45 as well.  Based on posts from the Hi Point forum anyone who did have issues got them fixed quickly under warranty and several even had replacement parts shipped to them for free in lieu of returning the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
even though this is a kinda old thread, its pretty comical.

First thing first anyone who needs to sell the warranty as feature to brag about the gun is stupid. Think about it many firearm manufactures has very good warranties. As long you didnt do something stupid to your firearm that company will take care of you. In my experience of being behind the counter selling firearms the firearms the "better" warranty guns was always sent back and sent the most frequent (had a gentleman who had a Rossi lever gun sent back 4-5 times alone because they didnt take care of the problem the first time) And if the hi point is your primary firearm and you need to keep sending it back to get worked on how is it protecting you? how is it serving you? and of course the time something happens is the time you dont have it

Next, whats the point of hi-point? my honest to go theory is this for gang members and uninformed people getting into the gun community just looking at price as their only motivator. Dont get me wrong I kinda like their carbine but then gets a little pointless with their single stack guns. Sure there is many conceal carry firearms that are single stack but they dont do that to weigh a ton. And most fullsize firearms are double stack allowing for higher capacities which hi-point doesnt have. If hi point came in a double stack flavor i might give it extra props to it. Now with that all being said a bedside gun or truck gun in a ban state is about the extent of it. With the amount of LEO trade ins of 22 and M&P40s makes no sense not to get. AT least you could always find a competent armorer and extras to put on your firearm. Do they have warranties no but when was the last true time a Glock or M&P failed.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#4]
....1911. Single stack.  Glockblocker gonna glockblock.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....1911. Single stack.  Glockblocker gonna glockblock.
View Quote

1.) not all 1911s are single stack

2.) At least 1911s have multple manufactures of magazines parts and accessories. Hi-point has none

3.) If your trying to refer that I'm a Glock fan boy I am far from it. My first Glock i just bought was less than a month ago. Its a LEO trade G22 (the least favorite of all the Glocks next to the G27) Before that I have bought Colt Delta Elite, Colt Trooper MK III and the Walther PPQ. Nonetheless for the amount of other cheap guns that does awesome is a better worth of spent money (anything from Canik is just flying with reviews). If Hi-point could out perform Glock, S&W, Ruger etc it would be in every LEO/LEA/ and military personal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  1.) not all 1911s are single stack

2.) At least 1911s have multple manufactures of magazines parts and accessories. Hi-point has none

3.) If your trying to refer that I'm a Glock fan boy I am far from it. My first Glock i just bought was less than a month ago. Its a LEO trade G22 (the least favorite of all the Glocks next to the G27) Before that I have bought Colt Delta Elite, Colt Trooper MK III and the Walther PPQ. Nonetheless for the amount of other cheap guns that does awesome is a better worth of spent money (anything from Canik is just flying with reviews). If Hi-point could out perform Glock, S&W, Ruger etc it would be in every LEO/LEA/ and military personal.
View Quote

Could we get a translation?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  1.) not all 1911s are single stack

Sure, I did word that strangely

Personally myself I consider a "cheap gun" under or at $300. But the next thing anyone needs to do is look at value. I classify value in several different ways, capacity of the firearm, reliability, amount of after market, amount of accessories, practicality of use. I dont ever look at warranty at all because like i previously said just about any company will take care of you and if they don't you typically won't buy their product again. When it comes to hi-point sure they do win on price kinda hard to beat sub $200 (I will say average price is around $180 when you need to include FFL fee) but at that price why wouldnt some one look at the FEG "fake-FN" they are just slightly more but capacity wins in the 9mm version. Yes they are still a fullsized gun but holsters are plentiful (1911 holster) It would be much easier to conceal than a hi-point. The only thing hi-point has over that is a warranty. But if your gun failed why would you want it to protect yourself anyways. You can easily work up the list to see what are the benefits and drawback. But just about every dollar you spend extra will typically outweighed any drawbacks. As I said they would an option as a ban state truck gun. And granted you might only need 1 round preparing for the worst and hoping for the best case scenario is a logical way to look at defending yourself. I do know many people sold hi-points as HD firearms because it was all but impossible to get back their firearm if used. With that im fine with that but I personally would go with something else that I know wont break.

A side not to also look at is resell value: While most will retain their firearm as long as possible something might happen that you might have to sell it. When it comes to hi point I would be very surprised if you get close to 50% of what you bought it for. They are not very desirable in the gun community in general so a LGS/Pawn Shop would have to buy it cheap and sell cheap to make it worth while for them buying it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends if the vendors are eating the sales tax, but I've seen .45"s around $160 @ the gun shows, occasionally cheaper.  I hear tell the .45"s will take slightly modded 1911 magazines.  And several ARFCOMers have reported grudgingly that they're quite accurate.  It's probably the cheapest way to get into a pair of handgun & PCC w/ interchangeable magazines.  The aftermarket hicaps run to 14/15, albeit they're still single column.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I had to look at the pricing of the  Hi-point carbine, my lord they really raised in price no wonder the one shop in town was asking $400 still high but not incredibly far off from buds.

But even if you were looking at getting both hi-points like that you might as well look in to building an AR lower and buying an upper from PSA. Like i said I could understand this combo for ban states but if your adding both there is even that many more options to get the best value of your dollar.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Lgs here has the 4595 for 315 and the 996 for even less.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lgs here has the 4595 for 315 and the 996 for even less.
View Quote

But your more than half way to an AR just saying and for $400 you could find a Kel-Tec sub gun

I will say if hi point made a 10mm carbine that could hold up to underwood ammo and be inexpensive i would be interested
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
So, the keltec is only almost twice as expensive. LOL

...and not everyone wants an AR for every application. I know that if all you have s a hammer, the whole world is a nail, but seriously?

How many of you haters have actually put *any* rounds downrange with a Hi-Point of recent vintage?

No, don't tell me about your dog's cousin's brother's sister that was killed when a unloaded HP was merely looked at by a certified range safety officer and explodificated all over the place and even made everyone vote democrat.

Inexpensive. Reliable. And you hate to try and justify your higher price toys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, the keltec is only almost twice as expensive. LOL

...and not everyone wants an AR for every application. I know that if all you have s a hammer, the whole world is a nail, but seriously?

How many of you haters have actually put *any* rounds downrange with a Hi-Point of recent vintage?

No, don't tell me about your dog's cousin's brother's sister that was killed when a unloaded HP was merely looked at by a certified range safety officer and explodificated all over the place and even made everyone vote democrat.

Inexpensive. Reliable. And you hate to try and justify your higher price toys.
View Quote

You can find Sub2ks for around $400 you just have to look (it wont be the glock mag version though)

Whats your application?

And I dont hate I put in other factors than cost alone
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Owned one for many years, wish I still had it!

Pros:  
Affordable
Reliable
Reasonably accurate (I outshot every one else during CHL qual with mine)
Awesome warranty
Eats anything
If you run out of ammo, you can beat them to death with it.

Cons:
Ugly as sin.

....yep...that's about the only con I can think of.  To my experience, all of the nay-sayers who tell tales about them being junk have never NOT ONCE ever shot one.  There was a Kimber snob on the lane next to me when were shooting for CHL, he was making a lot of snide comments about my "Ugly assed thug gun"...I shot my run, got all 50 in the 10 ring, no jams, his $1K customized Kimber jammed 4x, and he barely qualed.  "What was that about my ugly assed thug gun?"  no answer.
View Quote

Yeah, they are ugly and heavy but do go bang!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have found many used guns under $300.  Reliable, trusted brands.

Save your money and get something that will be a better choice.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top