Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2014 1:52:48 PM EDT
When I picked it up I thought it had a full magazine with what it weighed. I do not see how it could be used as a carry gun. I really like the price but not the weight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If you think the only reason it would be a terrible carry gun is the weight, then you don't know enough about Hi-Points...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Save your money and buy a decent used gun instead of a Hi Point.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
According to reviews, they're pretty decent guns, at least in 45.  The weight makes them decent shooters.

However, they're heavy and ugly and your friends will make fun of you for having it...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I tell people if you cant afford anything else they do go bang . IF you come up with some extra cash buy a better gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I call my Hi-Point JHP "The Plecostomus" because it is big, it is ugly, it is black, it eats everything I have ever fed it, and it exudes something deadly.

Fixed barrel design is generally more accurate than moving barrel designs.

Great value, reliable, and a unequalled warranty.  The line gets good reviews with many notable bloggers.

Shoot it before you knock it, and spare us all the stories about how your cousins brothers friends business associates entire family was killed when a Hi-Point exploded.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I call my Hi-Point JHP "The Plecostomus" because it is big, it is ugly, it is black, it eats everything I have ever fed it, and it exudes something deadly.

Great value, reliable, and a unequalled warranty.  The line gets good reviews with many notable bloggers.

Shoot it before you knock it, and spare us all the stories about how your cousins brothers friends business associates entire family was killed when a Hi-Point exploded.
View Quote

We carry them at work sell at least one a week. I've owned some , shot some and even sold more. Hell I bought a box of pistols from a evidence room clean out guess what brand two out of three pistols were ?
Only one poster above said they were a bad pistol but all the other posters minus you said there are much better pistols out there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I won't buy one just because of the stigma attached to them. The looks, weight and pitiful capacity don't help either. With S&W SD's going for $300 ($250 /w 4 mags back in the Sigma days), you gotta be pretty hard up to settle for Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Stigma? Time to get current and see what people are saying about Hi-Point now, and not something based on apocryphal tales of explosions killing 20, making your dog vote  democrat in the primary, etc.

Iraqveteran8888's Hi-Point torture test:

Only1modahk's HP Review:

Nutnfancy's "I wish I could hate this" review of the C9:

Also of note the .45 pistol (model JHP) and the carbine (model 4595TS) both use the same mags and both can take an aftermarket mag catch to use 1911 mags.

A 4595TS with a snail drum would be hella fun!

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1.  This. They work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Was given a 40 S&W carbine that I later sold. It was clunky, ugly as Hillary Clinton, and the disassembly method was probably conceived by a blind man, a chimpanzee, and a mentally handicapped kid who was asleep half the time.

I even left it in the snow for a week once. It kept shooting though, don't recall any jams.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I to have the 40 s&w carbine.  Works fine.  Is made from parts from the hardware store.  No exaggeration.

Shoots fine.  7 rounds max in the mag, 155 grain bullets.

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
just buy a Tokarev m57. It is historical, easy to clean, all steel, 1911-ish, and it has a 9 rnd capacity of 7.62 tok. (you can get hollow-points for it) it is about $100 or so more, but it is a great alternative. (the m70a is the same pistol in 9mm)
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I kinda want one.  Or two.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Owned one for many years, wish I still had it!

Pros:  
Affordable
Reliable
Reasonably accurate (I outshot every one else during CHL qual with mine)
Awesome warranty
Eats anything
If you run out of ammo, you can beat them to death with it.

Cons:
Ugly as sin.

....yep...that's about the only con I can think of.  To my experience, all of the nay-sayers who tell tales about them being junk have never NOT ONCE ever shot one.  There was a Kimber snob on the lane next to me when were shooting for CHL, he was making a lot of snide comments about my "Ugly assed thug gun"...I shot my run, got all 50 in the 10 ring, no jams, his $1K customized Kimber jammed 4x, and he barely qualed.  "What was that about my ugly assed thug gun?"  no answer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Bwahahahaha!  That's awesome.

Ex-future FIL lent us his 9x19mm, shot fine, I found the railed upgraded stock @ a gun show & threw it one there, very simple to install even for an Aggie.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]
It will kill. I could see someone who has a really tight budget or lack of firearm knowledge getting one. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi-Point reliable?  Maybe after you polish the feed ramp and tweek the mags.  From what I've heard and seen they are jamomatics right out of the box, in fact it jams like crazy in two of those vids.  If it was the only gun I could find in town, then sure- it's better than no gun at all. Otherwise I would rather pawn something just so I could afford anything else than a Hi-Point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I to have the 40 s&w carbine.  Works fine.  Is made from parts from the hardware store.  No exaggeration.

Shoots fine.  7 rounds max in the mag, 155 grain bullets.

View Quote

The upside of having a gun made from hardware store parts is that if and when things break you can fix it with parts from the hardware store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't consider it a go to gun but is much better than the Remington R51 just released!
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hi-Point reliable?  Maybe after you polish the feed ramp and tweek the mags.  From what I've heard and seen they are jamomatics right out of the box, in fact it jams like crazy in two of those vids.  If it was the only gun I could find in town, then sure- it's better than no gun at all. Otherwise I would rather pawn something just so I could afford anything else than a Hi-Point.
View Quote

Never shot one, have you?  Didn't think so.  Mine never jammed in the 1000 rounds I shot through it, and hasn't jammed on the guy I gave it to.  Note:  I am talking about the 45, not the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Well considering you can get a Browning Hi Power that is one of the most widely produced and used pistol designs in the world for $200, I don't see why you'd buy a 9mm high point for the same price.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well considering you can get a Browning Hi Power that is one of the most widely produced and used pistol designs in the world for $200, I don't see why you'd buy a 9mm high point for the same price.
View Quote

Who has them for 200 ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Ugly ass gun that goes bang every stinking time. I have only shot on HiPoint pistol a .45 and one Carbine a 9mm.

Both were dead reliable. Son in Law has the carbine. We took it to the range and shot many guns that day. Guess which one had ZERO issues. The HiPoint was the one that never failed to fire then reload another round.

The price point for a HiPoint is about tha same as a NEF single shot shot gun. If I were broke and only had 200 buck to buy a home defender it wouldn't be a single shot shot gun.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a link for that new High Power at that price, and what warranty comes with it?
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got a link for that new High Power at that price, and what warranty comes with it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go Hi Power $209

These FEG guns are very well built. Some even say they are better than the FN made guns. Of course the reason why they are not worth as much is because they aren't FN. You can get a fake FN marked FEG too, they were made for Iraq as the Iraqis preferred thinking their guns were made in Belgium and not Hungary.

They obviously do not have warranties as they are surplus guns. If I am worried about having a great warranty on a gun, I likely won't be buying that gun. I don't think Ive ever bought anything for the warranty. I think I would rather choose great quality over a warranty on a lesser quality product. If something goes wrong, fix it yourself or bring it to a gunsmith. Hi Powers are very easy to work on. If someone knows how to service a 1911, they could probably figure out a Hi Power no problem.

This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I wasn't aware that Browning make used Hungarian knock-offs of their own product.
...and that's above $200.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wasn't aware that Browning make used Hungarian knock-offs of their own product.
...and that's above $200.
View Quote

Firstly, they aren't knock offs. Sort of like how many companies make AR-15's and CZ75's. FEG is just another manufacturer of the Hi Power. The Argentinian government also made them. I called it a "Browning" Hi Power because that is just what most people refer to these as. I could refer to it as a Hi Power P35 if you'd prefer that .

And here's another one for $200. Just figured the other one was nicer looking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neither one of the links you posted were Browning Hi-Powers.  

And the OP was not about the Hi Point 9MM (which you couldn't GIVE me one, those ARE problematic!), but about the JHP 45.  For someone on a budget, who wants a reliable weapon with a FREAKING AWESOME warranty, they are hard to beat.  As a carry weapon, HELL NO, too damn bulky and heavy (unless you're around the size of Ahnold) for CCW, but as a console of the truck gun, or a nightstand pistol, they work quite well.

Nice try though.

Not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And the OP was not about the Hi Point 9MM (which you couldn't GIVE me one, those ARE problematic!), but about the JHP 45.  For someone on a budget, who wants a reliable weapon with a FREAKING AWESOME warranty, they are hard to beat.  As a carry weapon, HELL NO, too damn bulky and heavy (unless you're around the size of Ahnold) for CCW, but as a console of the truck gun, or a nightstand pistol, they work quite well.

Nice try though.

Not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try though.

Not.

Um tell me then, what pistol did I give you a link to? That is a Browning Hi Power, not sure what you're trying to get at. I think you need to try googling "Browning Hi Power". "Browning Hi Power" is just a popular term for the Hi Power P35 pistol, not necessarily that this gun was manufactured by the Browning Arms Company. It was designed partly by John Browning you know. That is where the name comes from. You should have probably read my previous posts in this thread before quoting me as well.

Nice research though.

Not.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#30]
FEG copies.  Cheaply made, likely unreliable as hell.  Hell, I can go to that part of the world and get an almost exact copy of an H&H trap gun, nice finish and all.

Doesn't make it a Holland & Holland.

FN manufactures the authentic Hi Powers, and has since Mr. B designed it for them.

Next time look at your own damn links, and remember, this thread is about the Hi Point 45ACP, not the damn 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
FEG copies.  Cheaply made, likely unreliable as hell.  Hell, I can go to that part of the world and get an almost exact copy of an H&H trap gun, nice finish and all.

FN manufactures the authentic Hi Powers, and has since Mr. B designed it for them.

Next time look at your own damn links, and remember, this thread is about the Hi Point 45ACP, not the damn 9mm.
View Quote

I clearly said in my posts that these are Feg made guns. I knew exactly what my links are about. If you knew anything about hi powers at all, you'd know the Feg guns are very good and not "unreliable as hell". And just for your information, these guns are coming out of Israel as surplus, not as commercial guns.

If you are still convinced these guns are cheap made junk, try asking how people think of them in the browning forum. Anyone who has experienced an Feg hi power most certainly loves it. Maybe you should actually try one before saying it's a POS. Isn't that what all you high point owners say?

With the thinking that fn is the only one that can make a good hi power, do you own all Armalite AR-15's? Because that's who Eugene stoner designed them for. Do you own all colt made 1911's? That's who browning designed them for.

Yes this post was about 45's and I was just saying that instead of the 9mm high point, there is another great, low priced option out there for those looking. Maybe for 45's, the high point is best for the ~$200 price point.

I also think that you may be confusing Hungary with Pakistan.

I'm getting really tired of repeating myself to you. Try reading my previous posts prior to posting in this thread. Think of something logical and then ask me the question.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay;  why are you spouting off about a 9mm in a thread about the 45?  Also, been to Hungary, as well as Pakistan, Estonia, Romania, and many others.  When I say Hungary, I mean Hungary.  ETA:  and YOU are the one who hot linked it as "Hi Power $209"
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Okay;  why are you spouting off about a 9mm in a thread about the 45?  Also, been to Hungary, as well as Pakistan, Estonia, Romania, and many others.  When I say Hungary, I mean Hungary.  ETA:  and YOU are the one who hot linked it as "Hi Power $209"
View Quote

I was talking about a 9mm because other posters above me were mentioning 9mm and 40sw high points. Another poster brought up buying a tokarev over a high point if you wanted a cheap gun. I figured I would offer another well priced gun in a more common caliber.

You've been to Hungary? So I have to assume you've been to the Feg manufacturing facility because you are so informed on the quality of their guns? If not, then you have no right saying that Feg hi powers are cheap garbage. If I go to Detroit and see that the city is run down do I automatically assume fords are cheap garbage because they are made there? No that doesn't make sense.

I don't get what you mean when you say my hot link was wrong. An FEG hi power IS a hi power. A hi power is a generic name of a design, not a gun specifically made by browning or fn. If I said "FN hi power $209" in my link, THEN I would be wrong.

Please stop posting nonsense
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Nope, didn't go to FEG, was too busy with the reasons we were there.  My opinion on FEG guns is based on shooting one.  2nd worst rattle trap pistol I've ever shot; funny thing is, the Hi Power I used to own was the worst.  The JHP 45 was much more reliable and accurate than both of them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]
When you can get a used glock or smith for $300-$350 I cannot begin to understand why one would buy a hi point.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nutnfancy's "I wish I could hate this" review of the C9:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkq7WdB-0LA

View Quote

The look on nutnfancy's face says it all. It works, but it is UGLY!
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please don't curse.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nope, didn't go to FEG, was too busy with the reasons we were there.  My opinion on FEG guns is based on shooting one.  2nd worst rattle trap pistol I've ever shot; funny thing is, the Hi Power I used to own was the worst.  The JHP 45 was much more reliable and accurate than both of them.
View Quote

Well I guess you have just had bad luck with them, cause I can shoot mine as good or better than my Glocks and Colt 1911's. They are some of the best shooting guns I own.

This picture of an FEG was taken from the Browning forum on this site.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I would have said the Browning was due to it's age (20+ years), but I have since shot the 1911 my wife's Uncle carried during the Korean and Vietnamese Wars, and it was a hell of a lot more accurate than they were; in fact, it's one of the best shooting .45s I've shot (and he won't part with it....dammit!).
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

These FEG guns are very well built. Some even say they are better than the FN made guns. Of course the reason why they are not worth as much is because they aren't FN. You can get a fake FN marked FEG too, they were made for Iraq as the Iraqis preferred thinking their guns were made in Belgium and not Hungary.

They obviously do not have warranties as they are surplus guns. If I am worried about having a great warranty on a gun, I likely won't be buying that gun. I don't think Ive ever bought anything for the warranty. I think I would rather choose great quality over a warranty on a lesser quality product. If something goes wrong, fix it yourself or bring it to a gunsmith. Hi Powers are very easy to work on. If someone knows how to service a 1911, they could probably figure out a Hi Power no problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well hello, this showed up this week

ETA: Fuck shit damn bitch ass - to the sensitive people in here

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Perhaps a "I lurve Hi-Power clones" thread may better serve your purpose.

Just sayin'...

Still considering a 4595TS to go with my JHP.  1 mag to rule them all!  :)

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/FEGHipower.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/FEGHipower.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s290.photobucket.com/user/ppcseniortrip/media/FEGHipower.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/ppcseniortrip/FEGHipower.jpg</a>

Haha looks great! It took a while but at least someone was listening to what I was saying about these hi powers!  Nice piece
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I own the 9mm version Hi-Point, the revised one after 2007. It runs Blazer ammo 115gr lugar, but it doesn't like any force against the clip. FTL is my only gripe, but it only happens when the clip is being pushed against. Only other ammo I tried was some federal issued from the range/armory and I had 3 ftl out of 50 rounds. IMO for home defense a loaded revolver is the only choice. Personally the weight of this sidearm works to my advantage.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I own the 9mm version, the revised one after 2007. It runs Blazer ammo 55gr, but it doesn't like any force against the clip. FTL is my only gripe, but it only happens when the clip is being pushed against. Only other ammo I tried was some federal issued from the range/armory and I had 3 ftl out of 50 rounds. IMO for home defense a loaded revolver is the only choice. Personally the weight of this sidearm works to my advantage.
View Quote

I is very confuzled now.  Are we still talking about HiPowers, HiPoints, Mauser 1896's, ARs, or revolvers?  Blazer 55 grn 9x19mm?  That would be quick stuff for a 9x19mm.  Not an Obrez, but a good show.  I don't think you should put any force on the clip while loading your Broomhandle - all the force should be down, forcing the cartridges into the magazine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I is very confuzled now.  Are we still talking about HiPowers, HiPoints, Mauser 1896's, ARs, or revolvers?  Blazer 55 grn 9x19mm?  That would be quick stuff for a 9x19mm.  Not an Obrez, but a good show.  I don't think you should put any force on the clip while loading your Broomhandle - all the force should be down, forcing the cartridges into the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I own the 9mm version, the revised one after 2007. It runs Blazer ammo 55gr, but it doesn't like any force against the clip. FTL is my only gripe, but it only happens when the clip is being pushed against. Only other ammo I tried was some federal issued from the range/armory and I had 3 ftl out of 50 rounds. IMO for home defense a loaded revolver is the only choice. Personally the weight of this sidearm works to my advantage.

Edited my post. Sorry, I am stuck on 5.56 at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Pistol TT33 Tokarev cheap of cost and great gun of workers.  Triumph of socialism yet you look at crappy capitalist shit of goat.

Re-education camp designed for people like you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  Pistol TT33 Tokarev cheap of cost and great gun of workers.  Triumph of socialism yet you look at crappy capitalist shit of goat.

View Quote

Someone has been hitting the vodka again.    You've had a great victory, Fluffy.  You ok?
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Pistol TT33 Tokarev cheap of cost and great gun of workers.  Triumph of socialism yet you look at crappy capitalist shit of goat.

View Quote

Fluffy's post are the best. Does crabby like tokarevs?
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok I will bite, Name your time and place. Your High point against my P-35 and your high point. Owner of 1st gun to suffer a stoppage or broken part (no if ands or butts) pays for the ammo, targets and range fee's up to that point for both guns. Not much of a contest. I noticed you picked the Browning to pick on and not the Glock ,Springfield XD or Smith M&P.

Im not a hater but to compare this gun to a quality firearm is just showing the rest of us your lack of education towards any real range time or fire arms experience.

I can guarantee your Hi-point could not last a 1000 round pistol course with us with out stoppage or parts breakage. The last one went 250 rounds and started having feed issues. After a new mag it went another 200 rounds and the extractor broke. I loaned the student a Glock 19 to finish the course out.  

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who has them for 200 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who has them for 200 ?

Summitgunbroker has Beretta 8040s for 245.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top