Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2014 9:37:33 PM EDT
I just ordered one from PSA and I'm excited to finally get a small 9mm. Tell me anything thing I need or should know, any recommendations, etc. I have never owned a Kahr before. The only thing I remember reading is the 200 rnd break in period.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The trigger was designed to duplicate the S&W DA pull that has been the standard means of rapid revolver fire. It is nice for those of us that had trained with that or are willing to learn. The Twitter/Glock generation tends to have problems learning something outside their norm and tend to not like it. Take your time during the 200 round break in period to get familiar with the trigger and you'll see the wisdom built into the design.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine. Get a couple of the extended mags just because. Break it in with any ammo you can find for cheap. I use tetra gun grease on the contact surfaces. I put a Crimson Trace laser on mine also. I got a Weisner?? slip in sleeve that makes it look like a PDA or wallet that slips in and out of a front pocket. I like it alot. The pistol is accurate, and mine has run without a hitch from day one. They are great pocket firepower you can depend on.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine has been flawless since Day One. I really like the trigger. They're a bit of a pain to disassemble and the slide is STIFF to rack (heavy springs). Strip it, clean it, and lube it before you shoot it. Don't forget the Mag Promo (PSA doesn't put the S/N on the receipt, but I just hand-wrote it and sent them a scan of the side of the box as well). The CM9 is pretty much as small as a 9mm could be and still function and shoot well--I love how thin it is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Be patient.

Kahrs have a different, but smooth and wonderful trigger that may take some getting used to. They also, unfortunately, seem to suffer from some QC problems, although I've never had a problem with seven of them. Don't expect it to work 100% during the 200 round break-in period, although, again, I've never had a problem with seven of them.

Revel in the thinness and lightness.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a MK40.    They will jam a bit during the break in period.  It does go away.  Don't fret.  Even if it continues they have good customer service.  Actually they have great customer service.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
In my experience you can fast-forward your break-in by giving your mags a reliability tweak. Sometimes the follower can snag on the mag catch if the mag catch protrudes too far into the mag body. Test for this by placing the disassembled mag body in the unloaded pistol and using the back of a pencil or similar tool to slide the follower up the mag from bottom to top. If you feel it hang up on the mag catch trim/sand/grind away the corner of the follower where it is hitting the mag catch. To know where to remove material remove the mag, slide the follower up to the mag catch cut-out, and mark the follower through the hole. Repeat until the follower slides smoothly without nicking the mag catch. You won't need to remove much if any. I've had zero malfunctions from day one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Great little carry gun, I use it for ankle carry mostly.  Will also work in cargo short pockets or if you have big jeans, etc.  Very reliable, light and accurate if you do your part.  The trigger took some getting used to for me because I grew up shooting Glocks and the trigger is like a double-action revolver.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont like mine. I grew up on Glock.

To me the trigger is shitty.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be patient.

Kahrs have a different, but smooth and wonderful trigger that may take some getting used to. They also, unfortunately, seem to suffer from some QC problems, although I've never had a problem with seven of them. Don't expect it to work 100% during the 200 round break-in period, although, again, I've never had a problem with seven of them.

Revel in the thinness and lightness.
View Quote

It's hit or miss, I paid $644 for a PM9 with night sights back in 2010, and it was never really reliable, only 80%.  I eventually bought a CM9 in 2012 and it was around $425, yet totally reliable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to the Kahr Talk forum,read the sticky about prepping/lubing it. Lots of good info there. I did that  and have had zero problems with my mine. It is my CCW weapon.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for all the replies, what is a good break in ammo to use--any certain grain, any good off the bat carry rounds that work well for this pistol
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Love my CM9. Its amazingly small, reliable, and looks awesome. I have a few hundred rounds through mine and had one failure to feed on like the second magazine.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
thanks for all the replies, what is a good break in ammo to use--any certain grain, any good off the bat carry rounds that work well for this pistol
View Quote

For break in,I just used 115gr,couple different brands. Use Hornady 115gr Critical Defense for CCW.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope you don't have to learn the phrase nose-dive misfeed. If you don't, do the happy dance, you got a good one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Well mine was flawless till today, the follower in my only 6 round mag just broke. When I bought the gun I checked for clearance and there still don't appear to be any marks where the ramp was making contact but the front leg still broke off. I guess I'll call Kahr and see about a replacement.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#16]
It cracks me up that everyone loves the J-frame, but says the Kahr has a crappy trigger. The triggers are virtually identical. It's a very good defensive double-action trigger.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought mine two years ago.  I had problems with intermittent failures to fire.  Sometimes it would fire a complete magazine without a hitch, other times it wouldn't fire every couple of rounds.  This continued throughout the break in period.  I finally ordered a new striker and spring.  While changing the striker, I found a piece of brass in the striker channel.  I changed out the striker and have NEVER experienced a failure to fire again.  To this day, I believe that piece of brass was the problem all along.  This is my favorite pistol by far.  I've always been a Glock guy.  The CM9 is the pistol you have always wanted Glock to build.  I like the trigger better than my Glocks.  You will love it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It cracks me up that everyone loves the J-frame, but says the Kahr has a crappy trigger. The triggers are virtually identical. It's a very good defensive double-action trigger.

View Quote

No way. The Kahr has a MUCH better trigger than any J-frame!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I was about to say. I have an airweight J-frame and a CM9. No comparison in trigger feel.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thats what I was about to say. I have an airweight J-frame and a CM9. No comparison in trigger feel.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Kahr's triggers are light years better than my J-Frame even after putting in a Wilson Spring kit.

Also it was super easy to get a replacement follower from Kahr, too less than 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just ordered one from PSA and I'm excited to finally get a small 9mm. Tell me anything thing I need or should know, any recommendations, etc. I have never owned a Kahr before. The only thing I remember reading is the 200 rnd break in period.
View Quote

An excellent deal, I remember seeing them at PSA for $299.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#22]
A few malfuctions (double feeds...very frustrating) for the first 250 rounds.  Absolutely reliable afterwards.  Mine doesn't like the 7 rd mags, at least the two I tried.  Others have had no issues with the 7rd mags.  If you're considering night sights, the front sight is difficult.  Pick your gunsmith carefully, or just send the slide to Kahr for new sights (if they break something, they'll fix or replace it).
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:24:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A few malfuctions (double feeds...very frustrating) for the first 250 rounds.  Absolutely reliable afterwards.  Mine doesn't like the 7 rd mags, at least the two I tried.  Others have had no issues with the 7rd mags.  If you're considering night sights, the front sight is difficult.  Pick your gunsmith carefully, or just send the slide to Kahr for new sights (if they break something, they'll fix or replace it).
View Quote

I got my CM9 night sights from dawson precision. They were actually pretty easy to install if you have a vice.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. Never shot a J frame with a double action as smooth as my Kahr.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing. Never shot a J frame with a double action as smooth as my Kahr.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or as light.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been looking hard at the PM9 with the black diamond finish.  So what exactly am I losing if I get a CM9 instead?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I've been looking hard at the PM9 with the black diamond finish.  So what exactly am I losing if I get a CM9 instead?
View Quote

Dovetail front sight, polygonal rifled barrel, slide machining contour.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the cw9, I like the full grip over the cm9. But mine has been great. Carrying it right now.

Only minimal downside is the way the top round sits in the mag, sometimes it pops up and can fall out when carrying a spare mag In your pocket. But it rarely ever happens to me
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at the PM9 and couldn't justify the extra cost. I got a CM9 and a CW380 to go with it for what I would have paid for a PM9. I'm not sorry at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I looked at the PM9 and couldn't justify the extra cost. I got a CM9 and a CW380 to go with it for what I would have paid for a PM9. I'm not sorry at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same exact Kahrs I bought too. I actually prefer the slide contour of the "value" series.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top