Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 4:21:21 PM EDT
And Kahr seems to have the only lineup of QUALITY compact firearms.

I have 9mm and ideally would like to stick with it.  I have a Shield, but I have found that it is better suited for IWB carry and too large to pocket carry.

How is the PM9 or the CM9 for pocket carry?  Would I be better suited to look at the P380 or equivalent?

I was also wondering how many sight options are available.  I would love to put on some night sights or something better suited to defensive shooting, and from what I gather, the C series doesn't have any options available.  Am I stuck with the more price options if I want to swap sights?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The micro Kahr's work well with a pocket holster.
This prevents the gun from turning over in your pocket, keeps the gun positioned for a faster draw, and helps keep pocket lint and dirt out of it.

As far as size goes, I'd much rather have a 9mm than any .380 even if it is smaller.  The 9mm Kahr's are already darned small.

The "C" series guns can have Kahr night sights installed by Kahr.  The fixed type front sight requires a special sight so Kahr needs to do it.
Contact Kahr for details.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally think the CM9 is too big for pocket carry unless we're talking about a back pocket. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't ever carry in a side pocket.

Sight options are few and far in between. Dawson Precision makes a user install-able front night sight for the C series guns. Kahr also sells a front only Trijicon. I really think this is the way to go: plain black rear with a front night sight.

Another option would be to have a gunsmith cut a front dovetail giving you the same options as the P series.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently tried out a PM9 and a P380 for front pocket carry. The PM9 was manageable, but a bit large. The P380 disappeared. With modern ammunition, the .380 is a potent round with consistent expansion and 12 inch penetration.
I was a bit concerned about heavy winter clothing until I watched Hickok45's chapter two video on the P380. He shoots through a pressure treated 2X4 and rings a steel target behind it.
The P380 was also enjoyable to shoot. I shot it back-to-back with an M&P Bodyguard. The Bodyguard felt cheap and was unpleasant to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently tried out a PM9 and a P380 for front pocket carry. The PM9 was manageable, but a bit large. The P380 disappeared. With modern ammunition, the .380 is a potent round with consistent expansion and 12 inch penetration.

I was a bit concerned about heavy winter clothing until I watched Hickok45's chapter two video on the P380. He shoots through a pressure treated 2X4 and rings a steel target behind it.

The P380 was also enjoyable to shoot. I shot it back-to-back with an M&P Bodyguard. The Bodyguard felt cheap and was unpleasant to shoot.    
View Quote

This. I have a CM9 and a CW380 and got them both for less than one PM9. I pocket carry the 380. The 9 is just a tad big. Go with the C-versions (CM9 and CW380) and get both!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This. I have a CM9 and a CW380 and got them both for less than one PM9. I pocket carry the 380. The 9 is just a tad big. Go with the C-versions (CM9 and CW380) and get both!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you all for the help.

The goal is to have something that I will actually carry so it appears that the CW380 may be the way to go.  

Does anyone know where to snag a CW380 for a decent price?  It looks like Palmetto is out and they appear to be a decent resource when actually in stock.

Found this here

Any suggestions on a good pocket holster too?  I actually wouldnt even be opposed to adding this ... any holster options for that combo too?  Normally not a fan of lasers but for a BUG it actually doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Seems that the OP has already decided Kahr as that is where we are.

Based upon the OPs question I was about to recommend a old school pocket revolver--S&W642
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Seems that the OP has already decided Kahr as that is where we are.

Based upon the OPs question I was about to recommend a old school pocket revolver--S&W642
View Quote

Second that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I would handle the P380 and the CW380 before buying. I greatly preferred the P380 due to the beveling and overall better finishing.

Desantis Nemesis seems to be the most popular pocket holster. Alabama Holster company is also popular. The Alabama holster is thinner being kydex and has a thumb tab to disengage the holster before drawing. (I believe you can still draw normally utilizing the hook, but the tab is a nice addition.)

Both holsters are briefly discussed in this video:

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would handle the P380 and the CW380 before buying. I greatly preferred the P380 due to the beveling and overall better finishing.
View Quote

The P380 is nice, but I couldn't justify paying more than double for it. I got my CW380 for $240 when PSA had them on sale.

As for holsters, the Desantis Nemesis is good, but get the one sized for the LCP. The one they say is for the Kahr is slightly bigger and sloppier. I like the fit of the LCP model (G3 is what's on the tag) better. Covers the trigger just fine, nice and compact package. It's in my pocket right now.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on one of these to try out a Kydex pocket holster.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Call me weird, but I actually prefer the lines of the C series to the P series.

+1 to the DeSantis Nemesis.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Kel-Tec 380, LCP 380, DB 9 9mm, and a CM 9.

The Kel-Tec and the DB 9 both work with some reservations. The P3AT is inaccurate and much beyond 7 yards I won't be sure I'll hit. LCP gets the nod, usually with the P3AT in the weak side pocket as backup.

With the DB 9, ammo is critical and using HPs I cycle each round through the action, and if I do this and stick with Ranger T's (I know I void the warranty), it has never failed to go bang. It is not ideal.

With the CM 9, 300 rounds in, there was one jam during the break in period and I thought I limp wristed it. Fatigue is a mother firing 200 rounds of 9mm in one sitting through a micro 9 and a CW9 during one range session. (for the record the CM 9 is a cupcake compared to the DB9 and much softer shooting.

I trust the CM 9, and it isn't finicky about ammo so far (124 +p gold dots, 147 gr Ranger T, HST 124 or 147 I don't remember which). It is on the large size for a pocket pistol. but it will work for most pants. I usually carry a CW9 magazine for a reload
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Got it today!

LGS had it for 299 so I couldn't pass it up.

I could have gotten it online for 260, but after shipping and transfer fee, it would have been about 310.

With tax I paid 330, and got to see it in person and walk out with it same day.

Ordered up 3 spare 7 round magazines and a desantis nemesis holster, and found some hornady critical defense ammo locally.

All I need is some training ammo to make sure this thing is going to run and I am set.

Overall very happy with it.  Once I make sure it runs, it will get a good stipple job and I'll make sure to post pics.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll sometimes carry my CW40 in a cheap NRA pocket holster.  

It works with certain pants that have deep enough pockets.  It's a little ungainly, especially when I put my iPhone
in the pocket to keep printing down (and yes, I know, I know, never put anything in a pocket with a pistol; the
phone is basically like the anti-print flap on a Desantis Super Fly, only thicker and harder )

I don't do it too often as I'll usually pocket carry an LCP or use my N8^2 holster for the CW40, but it does work
in a pinch.

(And the NRA pocket mag holders are the tits for carrying a single-stack mag in your back pocket.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:47:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Good buy. I just picked up a CW380. Today was my second outing with it. 58 rounds on Friday and 82 rounds today. Kahr recommends a 200 round break-in. I only had one hiccup today: a failure to go into battery. I'm also pretty sure that during a speed reload, the slide dropped when I inserted the magazine. That was early on in the session. I absolutely love the trigger pull on this little guy. I'm hoping that another 100 rounds ought to fully break in the pistol, and then we'll be running smooth.

I'm not going to lie. A CM9 is in my short list now. Six rounds of 9mm in a package just barely larger than the CW380. It will be hard justifying it before adding a Shield back into my collection since they are so close in price. I'll have to keep my eye out for a really good deal.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top