Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2014 9:32:02 PM EDT
The wife's CW9 was loaded with .380

I remedied this situation but it left me wondering.

The weapon cycled manually just fine with these shorter rounds.   Would the weapon fire just fine?

I presume that the cartridge would not have enough kinetic energy to properly cycle the slide and would immediately jam (failure to eject) after firing the first round.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Probably. I've fired many rounds of .380 out of my 9mm guns. It will shoot, but don't expect the slide to cycle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The important question is why your wife's gun was loaded with the wrong ammunition? IF she is carrying a gun or relying on a gun for self defense, she may actually want to learn about that gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably. I've fired many rounds of .380 out of my 9mm guns. It will shoot, but don't expect the slide to cycle.
View Quote

Why would you do that?

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why would you do that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you do that?

Because I've found .380 rounds at the range and didn't have a .380 gun at the time. It works and doesn't harm the gun, so the question is, why not?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because I've found .380 rounds at the range and didn't have a .380 gun at the time. It works and doesn't harm the gun, so the question is, why not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you do that?

yup, you're that guy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

yup, you're that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you do that?

yup, you're that guy.

Then I guess I won't tell you about shooting .40 S&W out of my K9.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you do that?

yup, you're that guy.

sigh, that's not even possible. I assume you mean a 9mm out of your k40.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope the frame is a K9. The slide, barrel, recoil spring and rod, extractor, and slide stop are K40. The magazines were also K9. It did work pretty well if I do say so.

I had a K40 several years ago. The gun recoiled too much for me. I replaced the slide, barrel recoil spring and rod, extractor, ejector and slide stop with one from a K9 shot it a few times to see if it worked and gave it to my daughter. I still had the slide, barrel, recoil spring and rod, extractor, ejector and slide stop from my old K40 sitting around. I added some parts from Kahr's website and now have a complete upper for my other K9's in 40 caliber.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#9]
You may have been hit with your handle
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
A .380 round in a 9mm chamber will shoot but since it headspaces off the case mouth the shorter round is being held in the chamber by the extractor.
Not advisable to do long term.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top