Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2014 11:42:39 AM EDT
I just ordered a cm9 and should be in by Saturday. From my understanding, the feed ramp is too long. Have they fixed this or is this still ongoing?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Might want to go to kahrtalk.com and see the various forums on the topic. Hope this helps.

I have owned several Kahrs, have 2 now. All were in 9mm, or .45. Never had ANY problems with any of mine. A few of them have gone beyond 5-6000 rounds and are still running fine. The mag follower issue was limited to one model of 9mm IIRC. It was a year or so ago as I recall. As I have not heard anything more about it, I'm thinking they got ahold of it. Kahrtalk.com will set ya up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just ordered a cm9 and should be in by Saturday. From my understanding, the feed ramp is too long. Have they fixed this or is this still ongoing?

thanks
View Quote

Actually, there is no way of telling until it happens. The CM line seems to have the highest rate of mag follower breakage but the higher priced PM pistols also can be affected.

My PM9 broke three followers before Kahr took it back and modified the feed ramp, It's been fine since but I keep my fingers crossed.

IMO, it would seem that Kahr doesn't find this an important issue with their pistols that they will address until it happens. They will continue to replace followers and modify feed ramps and pay shipping both ways instead of taking a proactive approach.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a CM9 that was manufactured 6/2013, it cracked the follower on my 6 round mag but didn't (so far) on my 7 round mag, Kahr is sending me a new follower but stated in an email that if it breaks that follower I will need to send it in for service.

It's not a big deal to me, I love this gun, it has been 100% reliable so far (about 170 rounds through it), feeds gold dots fine, it's now my everyday concealed carry. I may mod the followers to avoid having to send my gun I , I don't want to be without it for any period of time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not a big deal to me, I love this gun, it has been 100% reliable so far (about 170 rounds through it), feeds gold dots fine, it's now my everyday concealed carry. I may mod the followers to avoid having to send my gun I , I don't want to be without it for any period of time.
View Quote

It may not seem to be a "big deal" to you but, your CM9 was not designed to break your mag followers, no pistol is that I know of. This is unacceptable to me in a SD weapon.
If this is happening, the feed ramp is a tad too long and it is striking the follower on the last round fired causing it to break.
I've read of no follower mod that cures this issue, a long feed ramp is just that, a long feed ramp.
That's why Kahr SC told you that if it continues, you would have to send your pistol in for the mod.
My very unscientific conclusion is that the polymer frame of both the CM and PM pistols flexes just enough to allow the slightly longer than spec feed ramp to strike the follower.
The steel MK series do not seem to have the issue of broken followers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty good observation JMC. The mod I read about was to remove material from the follower where the ramp is contacting it, few people on Kahr talk have done it with good results (for them) . I would agree if it's said, we shouldn't have to mod out guns for them to work properly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess my next question is this...in a SD situation, will the broker follower cause an immediate FTF or FTE?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess my next question is this...in a SD situation, will the broker follower cause an immediate FTF or FTE?
View Quote

It shouldn't affect anything since it will happen on the last round fired right before you eject the magazine to reload.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:53:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Kahr came in....cm9. There was only one FTF but that was my daughter holding it and likely limp wristing.

That aside.....when the slide is open, it does not appear that the follower touches the feed ramp. In fact, it is kind of curved around the follower. I wonder if this has be fixed.......

By the way....love my gun!
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It should not.
As already stated, last round fired, mag swap, stay in the fight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#10]
On my gun I put a little Dykem on the ramp then racked it several times with the magazine inserted. From what I can remember you can't really see if any contact is being made just by looking down in that area with the slide locked back. On my gun it was making some contact so I filled back the ramp slightly and re-polished.  I only ever had one FTF during the break in process and it's been flawless since then.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
600 rounds through my CM 40 and no follower issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a used CW 40 about a year ago that kept breaking followers. My new CW 45 bought maybe 6-8 months ago has been fine so far.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top