[#1]
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Word. I'm buying one
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
As of yesterday - according to a Springfield rep - They have thin and fat grips coming, but no thoughts on different grip lengths.

Mags are also on backorder for pretty much everyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:

Yeah, I'm wondering how that'll be offered... on the XDM/XDM Elite lines they have the "compact," but it really is more of a subcompact (at least in my opinion). While I couldn't complain either way (I can get a 3 finger grip on the XDM Elite Compact), it'll be interesting see how many different sizes they offer-- I'd love to see a long-slide compact/subcompact, but I doubt that'll happen.
As of yesterday - according to a Springfield rep - They have thin and fat grips coming, but no thoughts on different grip lengths.

Mags are also on backorder for pretty much everyone.

Thanks for posting.

Hmm, I like the sound of the thin grip, but the length while probably doable would be a bit on the long slide... I really prefer the compact size range (like actual compact, not the XDM's sub-compact "compact" haha).
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Just ordered a Large frame from GrabAgun for $48

Curious to see the difference
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 8:19:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#5]
Originally Posted By Castrolr1:

View Quote
I picked one up the other day locally for the same price.

it's noticeable. Both size and the texturing is much more aggressive.. to the point I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem carrying it IWB
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

it's noticeable. Both size and the texturing is much more aggressive.. to the point I'm wondering if it's going to be a problem carrying it IWB
View All Quotes

The standard one always feel small to me ... so i'm looking forward to a little girth

I guess i will find out soon enough.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]

The standard one always feel small to me ... so i'm looking forward to a little girth

I guess i will find out soon enough.
View Quote
I feel kinda the same. Overall the medium is a good size but it always left a gap in my Palm that the larger one seems to fill better.

i haven't installed it yet, going to send it off to have it Cerakoted.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

That’s interesting. I believe Springfield said after the original announcement that each grip size would be offered in multiple textures, so you should be able to get the large grip with the same texture as the original medium grip. It just may not be available yet, or wasn’t available at that particular store.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

That’s interesting. I believe Springfield said after the original announcement that each grip size would be offered in multiple textures, so you should be able to get the large grip with the same texture as the original medium grip. It just may not be available yet, or wasn’t available at that particular store.
View All Quotes

I think I saw somewhere recently that the different texture/grip module combinations were coming soon.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]

I think I saw somewhere recently that the different texture/grip module combinations were coming soon.
View All Quotes

The one I ordered had the description Large/Aggressive texture.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the issue that a bunch of YT videos have been playing up for dramatic effect with the extended baseplates popping off the 20-round magazines and dumping their contents on the ground. I don't think any of them do a great job of explaining the issue, and they don't show closeups of the parts, just the dramatic clips of the baseplates flying off and dumping rounds. I can't really even tell if they were able to reassemble the magazines correctly, and if the issue repeated itself. As one video example, Honest Outlaw mentions both his 17- and 20-round magazines breaking, but he doesn't show a closeup to explain what actually broke.

I ordered a few of these magazines when I saw them on sale a month ago, as I'm thinking about buying an Echelon down the road. I looked over one of the magazines, and I don't really see how it could fall apart if assembled correctly, unless the locking tab is actually breaking. In case anyone hasn't taken one apart, here's a view of the metal locking tab on the 20-round magazine. It sticks up on the back of the magazine, protruding from inside the baseplate:

Attachment Attached File

You have to push up on the locking plate through the hole in the baseplate until it completely clears the baseplate, then you can slide the baseplate forward. Here's what the locking plate looks like:

Attachment Attached File

If the magazine is assembled correctly, the only way I see it coming apart is if the locking plate shears in half, or if the plastic side tabs on the baseplate that slide onto the lip on the base of the magazine body were to break off. I haven't seen that mentioned or explained in any videos, so I'm not sure if that's what's happening. This video shows how the magazine could be assembled incorrectly, with the locking plate installed backwards and the vertical tab inside the magazine body. That would be really poor quality control if that's what's happening:

Springfield Echelon Magazine Issues? Easy Fix!??

Were some of these magazines showing up from the factory with the locking plate installed backwards like that? Or are the parts breaking when forcefully inserted into the pistol? I'd be interested in hearing from some users what you're seeing with these mags. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I have 10 of the echelon mags now. I did have one that slipped off.

A little research shows it can be assembled wrong.

I replaced most of mine with Taran baseplates now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it's assembled incorrectly.

take it apart and put it back together correctly and no issue.
mine were all correct
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

I have to say
I really like the large with the small backstrap

I have small hands , but this fits so much better
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#15]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147035/20231129_165921_jpg-3044295.JPG

I have to say

View Quote
Have you shot it yet with the large frame?

mines still in the box, gonna have it cerakoted before installing my COG and using it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#16]

mines still in the box, gonna have it cerakoted before installing my COG and using it.
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/147035/20231129_165921_jpg-3044295.JPG

I have to say

going today
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#17]
“I” betore “e” except after “c”   😳
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
My black friday Acro came in, the Echelon is set up for now.  Fwiw, no co-witness with Acro and a C&H plate.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#19]
took mine to an Achilles Heel class this weekend.

another 500 rds...  Pistol did great. I however at the end of class sheared a screw off the optic.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#20]

another 500 rds...  Pistol did great. I however at the end of class sheared a screw off the optic.
View Quote
@Castrolr1

how are you liking the large, aggressive frame?
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#22]
@Castrolr1

how are you liking the large, aggressive frame?
View Quote

Super happy with it.

If the one it comes with just feels a bit small in the hand, I'd highly recommend it
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

Any thoughts on why the screw broke?

I wonder if the C&H plate would have prevented this.
View All Quotes

Any thoughts on why the screw broke?

I wonder if the C&H plate would have prevented this.

@Melvin_Johnson

I'm going to take the blame on this one.... I first mounted an RMR on it and probably shot 300 rds.

Didn't like it on there, used the same screws mounting the 508.... which held the RMR on a previous pistol. Should have just replaced them.

I went titanium now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the issue that a bunch of YT videos have been playing up for dramatic effect with the extended baseplates popping off the 20-round magazines and dumping their contents on the ground. I don't think any of them do a great job of explaining the issue, and they don't show closeups of the parts, just the dramatic clips of the baseplates flying off and dumping rounds. I can't really even tell if they were able to reassemble the magazines correctly, and if the issue repeated itself. As one video example, Honest Outlaw mentions both his 17- and 20-round magazines breaking, but he doesn't show a closeup to explain what actually broke.

I ordered a few of these magazines when I saw them on sale a month ago, as I'm thinking about buying an Echelon down the road. I looked over one of the magazines, and I don't really see how it could fall apart if assembled correctly, unless the locking tab is actually breaking. In case anyone hasn't taken one apart, here's a view of the metal locking tab on the 20-round magazine. It sticks up on the back of the magazine, protruding from inside the baseplate:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Springfield_Echelon_Magazine_01_jpg-3041124.JPG

You have to push up on the locking plate through the hole in the baseplate until it completely clears the baseplate, then you can slide the baseplate forward. Here's what the locking plate looks like:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Springfield_Echelon_Magazine_02_jpg-3041126.JPG

If the magazine is assembled correctly, the only way I see it coming apart is if the locking plate shears in half, or if the plastic side tabs on the baseplate that slide onto the lip on the base of the magazine body were to break off. I haven't seen that mentioned or explained in any videos, so I'm not sure if that's what's happening. This video shows how the magazine could be assembled incorrectly, with the locking plate installed backwards and the vertical tab inside the magazine body. That would be really poor quality control if that's what's happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB4lhldSIJw

Were some of these magazines showing up from the factory with the locking plate installed backwards like that? Or are the parts breaking when forcefully inserted into the pistol? I'd be interested in hearing from some users what you're seeing with these mags. Thanks!
View Quote

The base plate and locking plate on the XDM Elite compact magazines can have a similar issue. It is possible to install those with everything in the correct position/configuration without fully seating the base and locking plates after cleaning --the locking plate needs to click down into the base plate to lock.

Is it possible that this could be happening with the Echelon extended magazines?
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I have another 200 rds through mine, Ive dropped both mags and the pistol itself.  Havent lost zero on the rmr, my mags havent fallen apart.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally had a chance to go see one at a LGS (I know it's been months, but I'm busy and this is a want not a need, so it's low on the priority list) and I am super impressed! I thought the small grip module would be best, but the factory medium (and I'm assuming medium backstrap?) felt great (maybe "perfect") in my hand. It felt like a much smaller gun than an XD/XDM (in a good way) and it made the Hellcat Pro's grip feel uncomfortable by comparison (like a 1x2). The slide felt pretty light to rack, which I'm assuming is due to the pockets providing more surface area. My only complaints are the lack of a manual safety and the absence of a 15 round "compact." Hopefully, SA will offer both of those in the future.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally had a chance to go see one at a LGS (I know it's been months, but I'm busy and this is a want not a need, so it's low on the priority list) and I am super impressed! I thought the small grip module would be best, but the factory medium (and I'm assuming medium backstrap?) felt great (maybe "perfect") in my hand. It felt like a much smaller gun than an XD/XDM (in a good way) and it made the Hellcat Pro's grip feel uncomfortable by comparison (like a 1x2). The slide felt pretty light to rack, which I'm assuming is due to the pockets providing more surface area. My only complaints are the lack of a manual safety and the absence of a 15 round "compact." Hopefully, SA will offer both of those in the future.
View Quote
If you look closely at the frame you can see where there's an outline for a manual safety
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#28]
If you look closely at the frame you can see where there's an outline for a manual safety
View Quote

I noticed that too, looks like a 1911 style safety (which is my preference), but it's seemingly not shipping yet and only time will tell if the ergonomics are good-- while I would be surprised if SA doesn't do a good job, a safety with bad ergonomics is worse than having no manual safety at all in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]

I noticed that too, looks like a 1911 style safety (which is my preference), but it's seemingly not shipping yet and only time will tell if the ergonomics are good-- while I would be surprised if SA doesn't do a good job, a safety with bad ergonomics is worse than having no manual safety at all in my opinion.
View Quote
Hopefully SA does it like Sig and has a compact conversion kit available when they release the compact.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#31]

If the gun really catches on maybe we'll see Springfield selling the COG by itself with Norrso, Wilson Combat, Icarus and others selling slides, barrels, grip modules, etc.
View Quote
That's what I'm hoping.
there is a lot of potential and looking at the COG by itself, you can see they put a lot of effort into it. But it's mostly going to come down to price.

If they do what Sig did and conversion kits are 75 to 80% the cost of a whole gun there's no point.
but if it's reasonably priced it makes it worthwhile to have a LEGO gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Hopefully SA does it like Sig and has a compact conversion kit available when they release the compact.
View Quote

Springfield has gotten pretty good at offering those kinds of accessories lately (XD OSP slides, threaded barrels, etc.), but if the XD OSP slide .40 to 9 conversion slide is anything to go off, prices might be in the Sig ranges. Once again, only time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Springfield has gotten pretty good at offering those kinds of accessories lately (XD OSP slides, threaded barrels, etc.), but if the XD OSP slide .40 to 9 conversion slide is anything to go off, prices might be in the Sig ranges. Once again, only time will tell.
View Quote
Hopefully they'll have something at shot.
this platform is one step away from greatness.. just needs a compact version and a conversion kit (with threaded barrel).

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 9:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#34]
I stuck an Apex single sided safety in mine, like it quite a bit.

It’s slightly extended and nicely checkered steel.

I’d be willing to bet they’ll have stuff for it at SHOT
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Another 200 rounds today.  GTG.  Zero issues.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By country_boy87:
Another 200 rounds today.  GTG.  Zero issues.
View Quote
I've 1542 total rounds with no problems other than the plate coming off at around 300 or so rounds.

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I have an Echelon on order as well as another 20 round mag for it. Has Springfeild addressed any of the mag issues yet?  Having said that, I doubt I'll have any issues since I will not be as had on mags as some of the reviewers have been.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 1:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sublimeon24s] [#38]

View Quote

Any interest is parting with a few of the factory extensions and locking plates? if so please PM me @Castrolr1
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
I have an Echelon on order as well as another 20 round mag for it. Has Springfeild addressed any of the mag issues yet?  Having said that, I doubt I'll have any issues since I will not be as had on mags as some of the reviewers have been.
View Quote

I don’t think it’s a real issue with the magazines themselves, just an assembly and quality control issue, as discussed above. Just inspect your magazines to verify they are assembled properly. I’m betting Springfield has been doing the same with any new pistols they are shipping, based on the early problems people experienced.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Sublimeon24s:

Any interest is parting with a few of the factory extensions and locking plates? if so please PM me @Castrolr1
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sublimeon24s:

@Sublimeon24s

How many you need ??
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Where are the five inch slides??????  (wishful thinking for the 2024 SHOT show)

Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By glock24:
Where are the five inch slides??????  (wishful thinking for the 2024 SHOT show)

View Quote
I'm hoping for a compact conversion kit at shot.
Or at least by summer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Word. I'm buying one
View Quote

Got one held in the LGS.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:50:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Sent my large grip module off to be Cerakoted.
pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Sent my large grip module off to be Cerakoted.
pretty happy with the way it turned out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_7060_jpeg-3083844.JPG
View Quote

Looks really good!  Like it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Curious to know if your large grip module has the same texturing as the medium and small, or is it more aggressive?

I'm thinking about a large module myself, but don't want to change textures.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Big_Brakes:

Looks really good!  Like it!
View Quote
Thanks.

I kinda wanted something different, I'm tired of black guns and thought OD and black would be perfect
Originally Posted By glock24:
Curious to know if your large grip module has the same texturing as the medium and small, or is it more aggressive?

I'm thinking about a large module myself, but don't want to change textures.

Thanks
View Quote
The only large modules I've seen are "aggressive" texturing.
Supposedly they're coming out with a "normal" or standard texture large module but I haven't seen it, it was mentioned in an interview I saw with Latham back around the release.

speaking of that interview, he mentioned they had another slide design that was liked as much as the one they went with and it was a toss up between the two.
Hopefully they will release it as an upgrade/option.
Or maybe they are holding it back for the compact version that no doubt is coming.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Try as I may, I just can't shoot the Echelon as well as any of my other pistols. I'm going to let it go.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
Try as I may, I just can't shoot the Echelon as well as any of my other pistols. I'm going to let it go.
View Quote

Any particular reason to be aware of or consider (too light, trigger reach, grip circumference, etc.)?
Page / 8
Springfeild's New Gun (Page 7 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top