Link Posted: 7/12/2023 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've seen:

- Modular Chassis System like the Sig P320
- Trigger Safety like several other Polymer Pistols
- Fully Ambidextrous Controls
- Flexible Optics Mounting system similar to the what's on the Strike Industries SMC

Overall, it looks like they tried to use or adapt the most popular and well thought out features of current setups.  If they've managed to put them all together in an accurate and reliable pistol... they should have a winner.  One big question is whether other companies can and/or will develop frames & grip modules for it.  I also didn't see if the sights were a popular or existing footprint.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:
From what I've seen:

- Modular Chassis System like the Sig P320
- Trigger Safety like several other Polymer Pistols
- Fully Ambidextrous Controls
- Flexible Optics Mounting system similar to the what's on the Strike Industries SMC

Overall, it looks like they tried to use or adapt the most popular and well thought out features of current setups.  If they've managed to put them all together in an accurate and reliable pistol... they should have a winner.  One big question is whether other companies can and/or will develop frames & grip modules for it.  I also didn't see if the sights were a popular or existing footprint.
View Quote
The biggest issue SA has ever had with the XD line is they couldn't do well in any LE contracts due to being the importer, not the manufacturer of any pistol. And it appears that HS Produkt is still the sole manufacturer and SA is simply the importer. But, this being a chassis gun. Hopefully for SA, the aftermarket support changes that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
New Springfield Echelon: Croatia's Chassis System Pistol
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 10:19:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#6]
One dude in the video said no closed emitter sights will fit?
Link Posted: 7/12/2023 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:
View Quote

Holosun EPS Carry will fit. But any closed-emitter sight with a crossbolt mount will require an adapter plate.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me know when it's .40 S&W in Glock 23 size.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Holosun EPS Carry will fit. But any closed-emitter sight with a crossbolt mount will require an adapter plate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:
Originally Posted By VeritatisUnus:

Website says EPS may require modification of the factory screws, fyi.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:
Looks like a sword
View Quote

On a sword, "GRIP ZONE" would actually be pretty helpful.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
As someone a tad curious about this pistol and having zero experience with SA firearms, I have a simply question.  Does SA make spare parts widely available, like spare recoil spring assemblies, strikers, extractors, ejectors, etc.?  This is why Glock remains king, logistics.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
So ... instead of keeping with XDm mags (which are one of the best in the business) ... affordable ...

Springfield goes on and introduces a Echelon mag ... HOW STUPID ... if you wanted XDM dudes and gals to switch ... should have made it XDM mag compatible ...

I'm out Springfield ... good looking and promising gun but you kind of screwed up in the mag department ...
View Quote

XDM magazines are okay... I like the capacity, but I also find them to be kind of hard to load.

If the new magazines are easy to load, they are probably an improvement in my book.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks promising, but I have no need for a duty-sized pistol.. I'll wait for the inevitable 15-round G19-sized version.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
Looks promising, but I have no need for a duty-sized pistol.. I'll wait for the inevitable 15-round G19-sized version.
View Quote
I see that being done stateside with new barrels, slides, and grip frames. I see HS Produkt making one gun and having it imported to bypass regulations.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetEarth] [#16]
Are the Grip modules 3 different sizes of fat, they are all 17/20 rounders? what one comes stock. I assume they are not taliking about just the backstraps. I will be buying one of these
ETA: I just saw in the video, its the grip frame being 3 different sizes and the backstraps 3 different ones
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:49:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#17]
Originally Posted By TargetEarth:
Are the Grip modules 3 different sizes of fat, they are all 17/20 rounders? what one comes stock. I assume they are not taliking about just the backstraps. I will be buying one of these
ETA: I just saw in the video, its the grip frame being 3 different sizes and the backstraps 3 different ones
View Quote
Yea, I'm guessing the difference of the 3 modules right now is the side-to-side width, while the backstraps adjust the front-to-back length.

Kind of like how the sides of the HK P30/VP9 can adjust with it's inserts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/13/2023 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Great looking and featured pistol! Wouldn't hesitate to buy one today if they used the same mags as my XDm's. Already too invested in PRP tricked out XD & XDm's and mags to spend that kind of money and be forced to spend hundreds on new mags.

Between these and my 3 P80 builds and dagger frames, my Apex loaded, milled Shield Gen1 slide and Plus frame I am set pistol wise. It's been tough not to bite on some the deals PSA has had on the Elite Models already. Gotta stay strong.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Glock at least makes it backward compatible ... having the Echelon with its own proprietary magazine was a dumb move ...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:
So ... instead of keeping with XDm mags (which are one of the best in the business) ... affordable ...

Springfield goes on and introduces a Echelon mag ... HOW STUPID ... if you wanted XDM dudes and gals to switch ... should have made it XDM mag compatible ...

I'm out Springfield ... good looking and promising gun but you kind of screwed up in the mag department ...

They should have made it run on Glock mags to pull all those guys over.....

Glock at least makes it backward compatible ... having the Echelon with its own proprietary magazine was a dumb move ...
Glock also keeps making guns that are outdated, nothing new, this pistol is all new and they seem to have addressed all the 1/2 assed attempts by others to get it all right. I have Glocks, but wish they would have done something by now, or 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Glock also keeps making guns that are outdated, nothing new, this pistol is all new and they seem to have addressed all the 1/2 assed attempts by others to get it all right. I have Glocks, but wish they would have done something by now, or 10 years ago.
View All Quotes

They should have made it run on Glock mags to pull all those guys over.....

GLOCK makes money and keeps making money with what they have. Does GLOCK need be mindful and not rest on their laurels? Sure... they could be the next S&W, believing they dominate the market with their Revolvers and 1st Gen Automatics. Then some Austrian upstart blindsided them and completely changed things.

But Springfield Armory won't be that threat. They don't have the market resources to be that threat. That has always been their problem as an importer. Springfield Armory is also holding back HS Produkt from getting into the US LE market like GLOCK did. Because the current arrangement means SA can't really support an LE market and HS can't set up their own US based subsidiary to break into that market.

On the commercial side of things. SA will do well. But the real threat to GLOCK is SIG.

As for GLOCK advancing... why? They pretty much make what the majority of consumers want.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:20:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wganz] [#23]
Got to handle one today and was impressed. Trigger had none of the mushiness of the XDM line. Broke crisp with a nice short reset. Excellent pointability. The optics were easily picked up by this Boomer that started shooting iron sights on his father’s 1911 in 1968. So good that I’ll get out of the Dark Ages and join Buick Rogers shooting glass sights. Colin Noir’s assessment that this is a custom gun masquerading as a production piece is spot on.

Asked the SA rep about the future of the XD-M line. He stated the they will be kept for a couple of years until transitioned to Echelon production.

#CSB
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKBQLuqJbSM
View Quote

This video is good....

And it confirmed one thing to me: Springfield Armory made this pistol to win LE contracts. They know retail sales will follow with LE adoption - just like they have for Gluck. I think, for many reasons, this is a game changer. The ability to switch grips being just one. Having the "COG" cannot be overlooked either. And if the optics mount system is a good as it appears to be, the LE contracts will follow. But WTF do I know??
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GreyBeardBiker:

This video is good....

And it confirmed one thing to me: Springfield Armory made this pistol to win LE contracts. They know retail sales will follow with LE adoption - just like they have for Gluck. I think, for many reasons, this is a game changer. The ability to switch grips being just one. Having the "COG" cannot be overlooked either. And if the optics mount system is a good as it appears to be, the LE contracts will follow. But WTF do I know??
View Quote
Unless they can fix the guns in the US and supply agencies with trained armorers and parts. Not going to happen. That was the failure of the original XD line. Agencies liked it, until they learned that HS Produkt makes the guns overseas and Springfield Armory is just the importer/distributor. American LE Agencies was a local/domestic suply pipeline for their guns. That's why SIG, GLOCK, HK, and Beretta all have their own support services stateside (and in SIG's case, becoming an American company).
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreyBeardBiker] [#26]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Unless they can fix the guns in the US and supply agencies with trained armorers and parts. Not going to happen. That was the failure of the original XD line. Agencies liked it, until they learned that HS Produkt makes the guns overseas and Springfield Armory is just the importer/distributor. American LE Agencies was a local/domestic suply pipeline for their guns. That's why SIG, GLOCK, HK, and Beretta all have their own support services stateside (and in SIG's case, becoming an American company).
View Quote

I do agree with the points you make. But with Springfield opening a huge manufacturing/service/distribution/HQ in Geneseo, maybe they learned from their previous shortcomings. Let's face it, SIG and Glock were foreign companies which did not hold them back. They made inroads before locating their manufacturing here. I am not so sure that is as strong of a criteria as in years past. And hell, HK USPs had their days in LE too.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#27]

I do agree with the points you make. But with Springfield opening a huge manufacturing/service/distribution/HQ in Geneseo, maybe they learned from their previous shortcomings. Let's face it, SIG and Glock were foreign companies which did not hold them back. They made inroads before locating their manufacturing here. I am not so sure that is as strong of a criteria as in years past. And hell, HK USPs had their days in LE too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

SIG, GLOCK, HK, and Beretta made their inroads when the LE market was ripe for Automatics. Now, it is a saturated market and the conditions are different.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 8:52:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#29]
Well I have one in the mail on the way to me.

I also picked up an Acro adapter from Springfields website and some mags, says already shipped.

I have a few RMRs and an Acro I’ll try on it.

On SA’s website they have grip modules for preorder, looks like they are doing actual diffferent grip sizes and texturing options. I preordered a “large/aggressive”. I assume it comes with a medium. I have XL hands and like real grippy things so we’ll see.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ElrodCod:
It's a rip off of Sig.
View Quote

Ha. Well Sig stole the chassis idea wholesale from Steyr.  The steyr engineer who helped create the original steyr M9 (with triangular sights, not the beretta you’re thinking of), was Wilhelm Bubits.  He worked for Glock for years before helping Steyr. In other words, as usual, everyone is still copying Glock.  Although Glock admittedly stole many of his design cues from the H&K VP70.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
I sold a LOT of these today in an otherwise pretty slow gun market.
View Quote

Now that is interesting…
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:

Now that is interesting…
View Quote

I am guessing this will be a very big seller throughout the remainder of the year - probably at least through next year's SHOT Show.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I just shot one of these at a range's intro event.

My level of dis-satisfaction with the demo Prodigy is nicely balanced by the satisfaction of the Echelon.

It felt good, the sights worked well, it had a very nice trigger pull, and I hit decently well with it.

The only negative I can share is the trigger reset. At first I thought it had no tactile reset 'click'. On the upside, it doesn't lock the mechanism if you don't release far enough to allow a reset.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetEarth] [#36]
Just got one, seems to be pretty excellent, is there anywhere to tell what screws to use with the RMR, the pins it came with seem to be the correct ones that were installed already. I'm guessing metric? didn't see anything in the box to tell.
Off to Ace
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Just got one, seems to be pretty excellent, is there anywhere to tell what screws to use with the RMR, the pins it came with seem to be the correct ones that were installed already. I'm guessing metric? didn't see anything in the box to tell.
View Quote

Congratulations! I look forward to a report from your first range day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I saw that, This is what I needed
but I will just cut some to length... would be nice if they included them with the gun, pretty gay.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:51:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetEarth] [#40]

Congratulations! I look forward to a report from your first range day.
View Quote

I will try to get out early before the sun bakes, the innards look really clean, no nasty machine marks, mag release is excellent, sights are
totally useable with the RMR

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#41]

I will try to get out early before the sun bakes, the innards look really clean, no nasty machine marks, mag release is excellent, sights are
totally useable with the RMR

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333757/echelon715-1_jpg-2887215.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333757/echelon715_jpg-2887216.JPG

View Quote

Looks fantastic
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:
More Croatian imports at 400% markup? SIGN ME UP!!!
View Quote

Mine are better shooters with better fit and finish than my G19 and G22. I find their pricing to be quite reasonable compared to other offerings on the market.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By dinlong:

Mine are better shooters with better fit and finish than my G19 and G22. I find their pricing to be quite reasonable compared to other offerings on the market.
View Quote
Based on my (limited) test run today, They've made it onto my "that would be nice to have" list.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Reports on another forum of stinging trigger fingers from "trigger slap." Anyone here experienced this?

View Quote

I did not notice this for the 10 rounds I shot today.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#45]
I held one and set fired if yesterday.
As soon as the price comes down and I can find the threaded barrel version I will be getting one.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Evintos:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-817iyq2gxd/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/868/2868/EC6020-1200x1200-1__31268.1689108592.jpg?c=1

Looks like an XDM Mag cut but definitely a different follower.

https://i.imgur.com/aVRTkNR.png

The 2nd sear in the design is also very interesting.
View Quote

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#47]

The barrel locking system Glock uses is copied from Browning.

Aside from some similarities in the striker system and the extractor and extractor depressor plunger, the Echelon shows little resemblance to Glock. It is a camming/tilting sear with a pre-loaded striker. Disassembly is accomplished without pulling the trigger. So not really copied off the Glock at all....
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoDakWolfPack:

In other words, as usual, everyone is still copying Glock.

The barrel locking system Glock uses is copied from Browning.

Aside from some similarities in the striker system and the extractor and extractor depressor plunger, the Echelon shows little resemblance to Glock. It is a camming/tilting sear with a pre-loaded striker. Disassembly is accomplished without pulling the trigger. So not really copied off the Glock at all....

I acknowledged that Glock isn’t exactly original in any of its design. But to pretend that the prodigy isn’t riding the coattails of the Polymer framed, Striker fired, Melonite/tennifer/QPQ finished, hi capacity, browning actioned pistol design made popular and famous worldwide by Glock is pretty disingenuous.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#49]

You should have written such in your earlier post.  Yes. The Echelon is striker fired and polymer framed. Probably the last non-striker duty handgun to enjoy any success was the HK P30.

But we are now starting to see a move to chassis guns. Something Glock has not introduced to the market yet.
View Quote
If they did that they couldn't sell us 6 different models and 2 variants of each.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
If they did that they couldn't sell us 6 different models and 2 variants of each.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

You should have written such in your earlier post.  Yes. The Echelon is striker fired and polymer framed. Probably the last non-striker duty handgun to enjoy any success was the HK P30.

But we are now starting to see a move to chassis guns. Something Glock has not introduced to the market yet.

They're starting to become mainstream so Glock will introduce them in about 10 years. Of course the first version will have a stainless slide and will not be optic ready. Those features will be added separately in later generations.
Page / 8
Springfeild's New Gun (Page 2 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top