User Panel

Springfield Prodigy (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DOE:
I would also suggest lapping.  SA seemed to have gotten the Prodigy running now.  
Here's mine (pre RMR) and accurate at 15 yards with Speer and Magtech 124 gr. fmj.
https://i.imgur.com/5tzCiAe.jpg?1

With RMR.
https://i.imgur.com/VTfl1bk.jpg

View Quote

Man, that looks good.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Was finally able to pick up the 5" I had ordered from LockedLoaded.com in December yesterday. Weather really delayed delivery. Got home and immediately started putting the EGW stuff I had ordered for it: Ignition kit, pin kit, MSH, slide stop, and mag well. I just ordered a non-ambi safety (I hate them on 1911) and a beavertail to complete the SS "rear stripe." The ignition kit's included disconnector is far too big for the factory hole so I need to take the time to fit it.  As it is, the trigger breaks cleanly at 3.5# w/ the kit's sear and the factory disconnect.

Hoping to get it to the range next week when I'm off for four days. Weather is looking dicey, though.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Was finally able to pick up the 5" I had ordered from LockedLoaded.com in December yesterday. Weather really delayed delivery. Got home and immediately started putting the EGW stuff I had ordered for it: Ignition kit, pin kit, MSH, slide stop, and mag well. I just ordered a non-ambi safety (I hate them on 1911) and a beavertail to complete the SS "rear stripe." The ignition kit's included disconnector is far too big for the factory hole so I need to take the time to fit it.  As it is, the trigger breaks cleanly at 3.5# w/ the kit's sear and the factory disconnect.

Hoping to get it to the range next week when I'm off for four days. Weather is looking dicey, though.

https://i.imgur.com/mFMoUSS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UWJtwaD.jpg
View Quote
Nice. You'll like the egw slide stop. I shot mine with the factory for a thousand rounds or so then swapped it out and was glad I did.

And I'm same on the ambi safety. The ambi is the first thing I ditched. After trying a Wilson I had on hand, I ended up buying a Springfield take-off from ebay because I like their standard safety so well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DOG556] [#4]
So I’m a Springfield 1911 guy. That’s all I own with the exception of one limited edition Colt.   Springfield know’s 1911’s! But what about 2011’s-what are the updates on the newer production prodigy’s? Have the kinks been worked out? This old 20 page thread made me hold off on buying one. Now I want one again. But have they been fixed?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Breaking-NEW-Springfield-2011-Leaked-/5-2580458/
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Any new Prodigy announcements at SHOT show?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Picked up the 5” Friday. Took it to the range today and ran 300 rounds of Winchester white box through it. It ran flawlessly. Really enjoyed shooting it. Now to decide on which optic for it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 12:42:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DOE] [#7]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
So I’m a Springfield 1911 guy. That’s all I own with the exception of one limited edition Colt.   Springfield know’s 1911’s! But what about 2011’s-what are the updates on the newer production prodigy’s? Have the kinks been worked out? This old 20 page thread made me hold off on buying one. Now I want one again. But have they been fixed?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Breaking-NEW-Springfield-2011-Leaked-/5-2580458/
View Quote

They've been fixed.  SA stands behind it's products.  CS is phenomenal if ever needed.  Just don't be a Richard when calling.
Wanted a Prodigy TRP in either 5" or 4.25".  Maybe next year.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 1:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Richard?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Richard?
View Quote

Aka "a dick".
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:47:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DOE:
They've been fixed.  SA stands behind it's products.  CS is phenomenal if ever needed.  Just don't be a Richard when calling.
Wanted a Prodigy TRP in either 5" or 4.25".  Maybe next year.  
View Quote

The Prodigy already has most of the TRP parts and features and arguably better iron sights.  What would you want different on a Prodigy TRP?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Threaded barrel and rollmarks.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Picked up another 4.25" after selling a couple different prodigy's for various reasons.
Fit seems nice, trigger is heavy but a sear spring tuning will fix that.
Probably going to leave this iron sighted since my P has an RMR.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know of a way to mount a Sig Romeo3 to the Prodigy? I just took one in on a trade and if I can figure a way to get it mounted, it'll go on my 5" Prodigy. I believe it uses the c-mor foot print, but I don't know what all uses that and if any of the existing plates would work w/ it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know of a way to mount a Sig Romeo3 to the Prodigy? I just took one in on a trade and if I can figure a way to get it mounted, it'll go on my 5" Prodigy. I believe it uses the c-mor foot print, but I don't know what all uses that and if any of the existing plates would work w/ it.
View Quote

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

Best resource I've found on footprints.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:16:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Paulie771] [#15]
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Thanks.  I had forgotten about that site.

I changed my mind though.  I put the Romeo3 on my HD shotgun and took the DPP off of it for the Prodigy.  I had forgotten it had the older amber triangle reticle instead of a dot. I'll see if I can make it work before selling it to get something else. And the plate seems easy enough to find for those.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 3:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MandPdude] [#16]
I took my brand new Prodigy to the range today.  I was expecting the worst after reading many of the reviews and watching the YouTube's.

I had 4 20 round magazines and 1 17 round magazine loaded with S&B 124 grain and shot over 300 rounds with not 1 hiccup.  I was actually a little surprised I had no issues after all that I've read.

The gun shoots extremely well.  Before I shot it, I did thoroughly clean out all the factory "lube" and applied Lucas gun oil pretty generously.  The only add ons were a Vortex Defender optic and a TLR1.

I think Springfield has finally got the Prodigy to where it should have been on its launch date.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:38:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ZYA_LTR] [#17]

https://i.imgur.com/mFMoUSS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UWJtwaD.jpg
View Quote

Any reason a standard 2011 MSH would not fit, or do you have to use the EGW Prodigy specific MSH on the Prodigys?  I'm putting a Prodigy grip on a Tisas Night Stalker, and wanted to use a aluminum MSH instead of polymer.

**EDIT** Spoke to the guys at Dawson, and they said that Springfield needs the specific MSH, and a regular 2011 MSH will not work.   Wonder if the Prodigy grip, will even play nice on the Tisas, deciding how deep in parts i want to dive before i give up on the project, i don't want to be stuck with it, but i am sure someone would buy a spare prodigy grip complete with mag release and upgraded aluminum MSH ready to swap out with.  The Tisas grip isn't that bad, i just like the feel of the Prodigy better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Right at a month ago I was walking through the gun store on my way out from the range and saw a 4.25" Prodigy - thought it looked cool and I liked the weight of it, so I bought it without knowing much of anything about them other than the mixed reviews that were out there. Figured it would be a good range toy to split time with the P, and if it needed some tinkering I would rather mess around with a $1,500 pistol than a $3,000 one.

As it sits today, I've got right at 1,200 rounds through it - not so trouble free. Most of the issues have been failure to return to battery, which I blame mostly on the amount of cerakote that wears off this thing. I'd put 200-250 rounds through it on a range trip and clean the shit out of it for about an hour. Lube it like a dirty AR and have at it again. It got a lot better around 500 rounds in, and other than about every screw not wanting to stay tight without some kind of threadlocker, did pretty well up until the 1,000 round mark - then I started getting some hammer follow. Did some tests, watched some videos, and tweaked on the sear spring some yesterday. Also mounted up the 507Comp. We'll see if I fixed the problem or made it worse....

Attachment Attached File

All that said, I love how the Prodigy shoots - actually slightly prefer it as compared to the P. If I get some of these demons worked out of it I may see about throwing a little money at it to make it more reliable, but the whole point with this purchase was to not spend a bunch on it. That plan hardly ever works out for me, lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sommere54:
Right at a month ago I was walking through the gun store on my way out from the range and saw a 4.25" Prodigy - thought it looked cool and I liked the weight of it, so I bought it without knowing much of anything about them other than the mixed reviews that were out there. Figured it would be a good range toy to split time with the P, and if it needed some tinkering I would rather mess around with a $1,500 pistol than a $3,000 one.

As it sits today, I've got right at 1,200 rounds through it - not so trouble free. Most of the issues have been failure to return to battery, which I blame mostly on the amount of cerakote that wears off this thing. I'd put 200-250 rounds through it on a range trip and clean the shit out of it for about an hour. Lube it like a dirty AR and have at it again. It got a lot better around 500 rounds in, and other than about every screw not wanting to stay tight without some kind of threadlocker, did pretty well up until the 1,000 round mark - then I started getting some hammer follow. Did some tests, watched some videos, and tweaked on the sear spring some yesterday. Also mounted up the 507Comp. We'll see if I fixed the problem or made it worse....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325748/Prodigy_1_jpg-3168043.JPG

All that said, I love how the Prodigy shoots - actually slightly prefer it as compared to the P. If I get some of these demons worked out of it I may see about throwing a little money at it to make it more reliable, but the whole point with this purchase was to not spend a bunch on it. That plan hardly ever works out for me, lol.
View Quote

Mine is set up exactly the same as yours (4.25", same Holosun site, etc) though im only at about 350rds througn mine.  I also have the occasional failure to return to battery.  I'm not sure its due to the finish as mine functioned perfectly until I put the site on the top, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:

Mine is set up exactly the same as yours (4.25", same Holosun site, etc) though im only at about 350rds througn mine.  I also have the occasional failure to return to battery.  I'm not sure its due to the finish as mine functioned perfectly until I put the site on the top, but I could be wrong.
View Quote

My issues with return to battery all but disappeared after ~500 rounds. I attributed all of that issue to break-in with the cerakote. The extra weight of the optic might be a contributing factor, though.

Took mine back to the range today to zero the red dot and see if I had cured the hammer follow issue. The 507Comp is a great optic and zeroed easily, but I still had a couple hammer follow incidents resulting in a double fire in only 100 rounds, especially when the pistol got warmed up. I was only loading 2 rounds per mag for quite a bit of the session out of fear that the damn thing was going to run away and dump the whole mag.

Not sure if I’m going to attempt to tweak the sear spring again on my own or send it in to SA and ask them to take a look at it. I’m trying to resist buying a bunch of quality high end internals until I can get the thing to run reliably on factory parts - if I can.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By sommere54:.
Not sure if I’m going to attempt to tweak the sear spring again on my own or send it in to SA and ask them to take a look at it. I’m trying to resist buying a bunch of quality high end internals until I can get the thing to run reliably on factory parts - if I can.
View Quote

SA sear springs are junk (like most of their internals). Just spend $10 to get a Wolff or other quality sear spring.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Which frame tang radius are the Prodigies using? Im looking at fitting a Caspian Speed Bump when I go to replace the thumb safety on my RetroMod Prodigy project. Not sure version to order, though.

PFA
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

SA sear springs are junk (like most of their internals). Just spend $10 to get a Wolff or other quality sear spring.
View Quote

I’m going to try SA’s customer service and see what they attempt to do with it. Still kind of want to see if the gun can string together a good reliable run in stock form.

I agree with your assessment though, the factory spring didn’t appear to be of very good quality even to my novice eye.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#24]
I think I need one of these.  Anyone recommend in stock/decent price on a 4.25", no optic?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:
I think I need one of these.  Anyone recommend in stock/decent price on a 4.25", no optic?
View Quote

Gun.deals listing. Add a "D" to the end of the p/n if you want one w/ the red dot they offer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Gun.deals listing. Add a "D" to the end of the p/n if you want one w/ the red dot they offer.
View Quote

Thanks, man looks like $1240 is about the best price right now.  Feel like I've seen them for closer to $1100 in the past.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks, man looks like $1240 is about the best price right now.  Feel like I've seen them for closer to $1100 in the past.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I was surprised to see the pricing. Pretty sure I gave less than $1100 for my 5” w/o optic.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#28]

I was surprised to see the pricing. Pretty sure I gave less than $1100 for my 5” w/o optic.
View Quote

Same, little bummed.

And the only places that have them in stock are companies I'm not familiar with.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep an eye on the EE - they pop up for $1,000 - $1,100 with regularity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By sommere54:
Keep an eye on the EE - they pop up for $1,000 - $1,100 with regularity.
View Quote

saw a couple recently for $1100 and wondered if they're some of the more problematic ones.  LGS says they can do $1260 plus tax, thinking that might be my path.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#31]
welp, yeah I came home with one.  Guess I need to go back in this thread and see what upgrades I might need.  Tool less guide rod is top of list and maybe a better slide release.

I haven't given it a good bath yet but anyone notice the mag release is a little stiff/gritty?

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:13:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#32]
welp, yeah I came home with one.  Guess I need to go back in this thread and see what upgrades I might need.  Tool less guide rod is top of list and maybe a better slide release.

I haven't given it a good bath yet but anyone notice the mag release is a little stiff/gritty?

https://i.imgur.com/Af3IfzXh.jpg
View Quote

Yes on the mag release. I removed the spring from mine and the release itself seemed to move freely in its channel. I clipped a coil off the spring and added grease to it and it’s been fine since. That was over 5k rounds ago.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

Yes on the mag release. I removed the spring from mine and the release itself seemed to move freely in its channel. I clipped a coil off the spring and added grease to it and it’s been fine since. That was over 5k rounds ago.

https://i.imgur.com/8n3Nvsu.jpeg
View Quote

ah, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SilentDeath12886:

My plans were replacing the following due to some issues of people reporting the disconnector hanging up on the slide and MIM parts being a possible future failure point:

EGW Ignition kit, Slide Stop
Extractor
Atlas Trigger/guiderod
Staccato Safety
Staccato firing pin/stop
Dawson Pin set
View Quote

Did you ever make these replacements?  If yes, would like to hear your thoughts.  I've just got one yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Got to finally shoot my new 4.25" Prodigy I picked up Friday. Guess it was good I waited because the Vortex Viper I ordered for it
came in yesterday (got it for $117.00 @ Optics Planet)

First, you guys weren't kidding about the Cerakote gumming up the slide; after about 175 rounds it started getting sluggish. I relubed it
periodically and still had to tap the rear of the slide every now and then until I stopped at 300 rounds (had to go home for supper).

Other than that, it was all good. The factory mags worked well, even the two extra I bought. The grip is VERY nice, I love the texture.
The trigger is not bad, just a bit heavy for a nice 1911 (this *is* the most expensive handgun I've ever bought). I can see why folks
complain about the slide stop/release; forget about using it. Safety engaged well; no downwards play as has been reported earlier  in
it's release. Oh, and the Vortex Viper RDS dropped right onto the factory mounting plate. I have to remove it to lock the adjustment screws,
but who cares about that; it's a one-time thing.

I have a flared magwell coming, and will probably replace the slide release and get the trigger looked at.

It definitely looks like SA has tweaked the Prodigy since it came out. I did not have most of the problems others did upon release.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Papaw:

It definitely looks like SA has tweaked the Prodigy since it came out. I did not have most of the problems others did upon release.
View Quote

They really did screw up the release.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Springfield Prodigy (Page 4 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top