User Panel

Springfield Prodigy (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:
Wonder where all the 20 rounders are.
Not quite in the market yet, but want to pick some up to have before Va goes permanent blue again.
View Quote

The part number is PH6920. I haven’t used any of the below companies, but a bunch of places show to have them in stock starting around $36.

https://www.combatfirearmsllc.com/products/magazines-springfield-armory-ph6920-706397943516-6350

https://www.stonefirearms.com/products/magazines-springfield-armory-ph6920-706397943516-3499

https://cityarsenal.com/product/springfield-prodigy-9mm-20rd-magazine-ph6920/

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Are these still going through growing pains or are they good to go?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By XeroSasEnchros:
View Quote

People seem to be replacing at least a dozen parts to get them to a semblance of reliable
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cone256:

People seem to be replacing at least a dozen parts to get them to a semblance of reliable
View Quote
That's not really fair or accurate...

I'm pretty sure people are replacing with parts of better quality for peace of mind, not because the gun doesn't function as is.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:26:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RA1775] [#5]
I have almost 1000 rounds through my 4.25 and no issues.  Only because I wanted to do it,  I did have DSC Gunworks do there Ignition and Trigger Upgrade for me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

None of them ever required dozens of parts to be reliable. There were two main issues, mostly occurring in the 5” models.

First, some had tight chambers that SA would repair if needed at their cost. It seems that problem has been addressed by SA.

Second, the Cerakote was applied too thick for the tolerances of the gun. The 5” shipping with a 9 lb recoil spring had a harder time with this than the 4.25” that shipped with 12 lb recoil springs. This could be remedied with a $7 recoil spring.

Anything replaced by others where either because a specific part failed which is very rare considering the 10’s of thousands of Prodigy guns produced OR people wanted to replace parts for a variety of reasons, but that weren’t essential to making the gun run.

I’d say at this point they are probably fine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

hahahahaha..... no
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Most people are replacing MIM parts. I've got close to 900 trouble free rounds thru mine. All I replaced was the trigger (Atlas flat) because I prefer the flat trigger and the slide stop because I didn't like the flush stock one. I think they have the problems weeded out. If not they will fix them pretty quick.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I got to shoot one today.  I want one.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey all, I'm ready to buy one of these but I'm just curious as to which one has the best reliability record.

The 4.25 inch gun or the 5 inch gun.

This will be primarily a range/competition gun but, I could see it getting put into the carry rotation come winter if its good to go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The 4.25 seemed to have less issues at initial release. I can’t speak to how the 5 is now, but I just picked up a 4.25 and have had no issues through my first 150rds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy bought a 5”
And I was all set to hate on it. About 800 rounds through it so far and the only issue was a factory loaded 9mm with a dead primer. It didn’t go off despite a solid strike and didn’t fire in another gun we tried.

Accurate as all get out even with a crappy hex brand dot.

Not as well finished as a staccato but the only hot spot I could find was on the safety.

I think it’s a little over sprung as it likes to nose dive in recoil but that’s personal preference.

I’m shopping for one now.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By -CRW-:

The 5” shipping with a 9 lb recoil spring had a harder time with this than the 4.25” that shipped with 12 lb recoil springs. This could be remedied with a $7 recoil spring.

View Quote

Which recoil spring are you using to replace the 9 pound in the 5 inch gun?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#14]
Originally Posted By phungus:

View Quote

Initially a 14 lb would make the two 5” samples I’ve worked on run anything. It would cause the muzzle to dip to below zero. Eventually both would run fine with a 12 lb after the Cerakote wore down where it needed to.

My 5” was stripped, DLC coated, and ported. It will run anything with a 7 lb recoil spring now but will start to fail after 500 rounds or so from carbon build up. So I’m running a 10 lb currently. I need to have someone film me shooting it to see how much the muzzle dips. The stock 9 lb was fine but I put 3k+ rounds through it so I replaced it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Initially a 14 lb would make the two 5” samples I’ve worked on run anything. It would cause the muzzle to dip to below zero. Eventually both would run fine with a 12 lb after the Cerakote wore down where it needed to.

My 5” was stripped, DLC coated, and ported. It will run anything with a 7 lb recoil spring now but will start to fail after 500 rounds or so from carbon build up. So I’m running a 10 lb currently. I need to have someone film me shooting it to see how much the muzzle dips. The stock 9 lb was fine but I put 3k+ rounds through it so I replaced it.
View Quote

Thanks, I plan on buying soon so I'll probably just order a 12 pounder to start with.

So the cerakote is too thick then?

Causing excess friction between slide and frame?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Thanks, I plan on buying soon so I'll probably just order a 12 pounder to start with.

View Quote

Honestly, i just racked it like 100 times with no lube to remove the excess cerakote. Add some lube, do a few racks, wipe it clean, re-lube, good to go. I can see it jamming if you took it straight out of the box and shot it with no lube. 5 minutes of prep will make the range outing nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By tt350z:

Honestly, i just racked it like 100 times with no lube to remove the excess cerakote. Add some lube, do a few racks, wipe it clean, re-lube, good to go. I can see it jamming if you took it straight out of the box and shot it with no lube. 5 minutes of prep will make the range outing nice and smooth.
View All Quotes

I hit the frame rails with 3000 grit sandpaper after i got mine.  Did quite a nice job
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

It took a lot more than that for my 5” but I got mine on the initial release date and it had more going on with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2023 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

I’m shopping for one now.
View Quote

That should finally refill your railed 1911 housegun need
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

@-CRW- pics? I’m interested in a 2011 and since Girsan has failed to bring anything to market, this is the lowest priced one available. Might consider having the same (or hard chrome) done to one if I acquire one.

@me back, please.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 9:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -CRW-] [#21]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

@-CRW- pics? I’m interested in a 2011 and since Girsan has failed to bring anything to market, this is the lowest priced one available. Might consider having the same (or hard chrome) done to one if I acquire one.

@me back, please.
View Quote

@lilMAC25

These are a few months old:

I’ve since removed the magwell because I carry it AIWB, swapped the 507c for a 507Comp, and swapped the Cheely trigger for a short flat Atlas trigger in red.

I’ll get new pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2023 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Gracias. Roughly what did the DLC run you?
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

@lilMAC25

Nothing because I know the lab owner. His rates are as follows:

Slide - $75
Barrel - $50
Frame - $100
Small Parts - $7

I would recommend someone else though because the guy I used primarily coats industrial parts for the oil and gas industry. So his prep work wasn’t as thorough as I would have liked. There are some small imperfections that aren’t noticeable if you aren’t looking for them.

Here are updated pictures of my Prodigy:

I’ve had the gun over a year now and the DLC coating has to be close to a year old. I’ve lost track of my count but it’s over 5,000 with a big chunk after the coating.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#24]

@lilMAC25

Slide - $75
Barrel - $50
Frame - $100
Small Parts - $7

I would recommend someone else though because the guy I used primarily coats industrial parts for the oil and gas industry. So his prep work wasn’t as thorough as I would have liked. There are some small imperfections that aren’t noticeable if you aren’t looking for them.

https://i.imgur.com/PfjRKSj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/C9Zi6Gr.jpg

I’ve had the gun over a year now and the DLC coating has to be close to a year old. I’ve lost track of my count but it’s over 5,000 with a big chunk after the coating.
View All Quotes

@lilMAC25

Slide - $75
Barrel - $50
Frame - $100
Small Parts - $7

https://i.imgur.com/PfjRKSj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/C9Zi6Gr.jpg

I gotta say that looks great!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Thanks. I replaced most parts early on and it’s all chronicled in the big Prodigy thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:32:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Thanks. I replaced most parts early on and it’s all chronicled in the big Prodigy thread.
View All Quotes

I really enjoy tinkering, so that won’t stop me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got done with one of mine. Trigger and all internals are from Atlas, safeties and slide stop are staccato.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sagillman:
Just got done with one of mine. Trigger and all internals are from Atlas, safeties and slide stop are staccato.
https://i.imgur.com/gfhKH1F.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QJtXxEG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UFdQ1xI.jpg
View Quote

Nice!  I really like that color.  Cerakote?
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By seand1111:

Nice!  I really like that color.  Cerakote?
View Quote

Yep 50/50 mix of burnt bronze and FDE.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 14MustangGT] [#30]
Originally Posted By evnash:

@14MustangGT
link to that magwell? its just plastic...lol
View Quote

Here you go!  The airsoft magwell is aluminum.
https://www.evike.com/products/88885/

I'm now running the Dawson magwell on my gun, though.  It was just a little easier to carry AIWB.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
From speaking with a Springfield rep they did a lightening cut to the slide (which exposes the extractor) and increased the recoil spring for the guide rod for the 5” model.  For anyone that has the Prodigy with these updates how is it running and any issues with the exposed extractor from the cut?  Looking at one of these to make a limited optics gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:24:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blwngazkit] [#32]
Originally Posted By Mb121:
From speaking with a Springfield rep they did a lightening cut to the slide (which exposes the extractor) and increased the recoil spring for the guide rod for the 5" model.  For anyone that has the Prodigy with these updates how is it running and any issues with the exposed extractor from the cut?  Looking at one of these to make a limited optics gun.
View Quote

I have a 5" pre-lightening cut that has been flawless after I tuned the springs, reamed the chamber, chamfered the disconnector ramp, and took the ceracoat off the rails.  All really minor things that should've been done before it left the factory really.

I have to imagine the current batches are working much better now they've worked out a few bugs.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mb121] [#33]
I thought I’d give a reply to this thread on my experience so far.

After asking the above question I was too tempted and found a shop that had a 5” model in stock and purchased it.

Attachment Attached File

From speaking with SA, mine was manufactured in Mar of this year and incorporated the lightened slide, the disconnector was not cerakoted, guide rod spring seemed to be heavier than earlier samples I handled and the slide was smoother when cycling.  From looking around it appears that the guide rod spring weight is now at 10 lbs for the 5” model along with a 19 lb main spring.

Upon taking it home it was disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled.  Lube points were to the lugs on barrel and notches in slide, barrel, link, rails, disconnector, and a drop to the hammer.  At this point I did not make any changes to the pistol but had parts on the way.  One cosmetic issue noted is the extractor isn’t blended and protrudes from the slide, but it is tensioned and will retain a cartridge so I’m fine with it.

1st range trip I put 300 rds through it consisting of 147 gr Precision Delta (go to match ammo) and 115 gr CCI Blazer.  First was the 10-8 test protocol, the ejection of the rounds seemed consistent both with and without magazine.  Fed fine from first round with a full mag from slide release and all other testing.  I then spent the rest of the time doing doubles and multiple round strings of fire.  All this was done within close to an hour so it was quick.  Only issue encountered was the rear sight beginning to walk off at about the 200 rd mark, it was retightened to 15 in/lbs at the range, no issues afterwards.
Attachment Attached File

Before the 2nd range trip I installed a EGW magwell, 10-8 guide rod and reverse plug, slight plate and Leupold DPP, along with a Wolff firing spring.  Guide rod spring and main spring was left stock.  There was a need to shorten the screw for the sight plate as it was slightly rubbing on the extractor, when I say slightly I mean just a few passes with a file and it was fine.  Installed with blue loctite with plate screws at 20 in/lbs.

2nd range trip, yesterday, which saw 150 rds for a total of 450 (getting close to where I can trust it).  Again, no issues and the pistol just chugged along with the ammo sent through it.  There was a different recoil impulse that I felt which caused me to go back to the F/L guide rod, this will be replaced by a Dawson later on. Sight remained solid and nothing else to note.

Overall, I’m very satisfied with this purchase.  I plan on later getting the MiM parts swapped but that’s not a big concern so it’s just going to be run as is for competition once the holster gets in.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for sharing. I have been strongly considering the 4” model recently and have been looking for more first-hand reviews.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 11:32:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Wonder if they will bring out a 3.5 version like staccatos CS
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Just got done with another one, they’re multiplying.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:15:32 PM EDT
[#37]
https://i.imgur.com/8FoIgA4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3YJunQf.jpg
View Quote

Damn nice.

I’m really debating a 5” now that Springfield seems to be getting them dialed in.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Put my hands on a 4.25 model recently and was impressed so I impulse bought it.  I hand cycled the slide 1,000 times with 2 break downs & cleaning as I have read about the cerakote wearing and forming a sludge that chokes the gun down. Generously oiled it and went to the range with 250 rds of Blazer 124 grain ball ammo.   No issues at all.  This gun is one of the easiest handguns to shoot well that I have ever shot.
Plan on shooting more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#39]
https://i.imgur.com/8FoIgA4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3YJunQf.jpg
View Quote

Who did the work?  Monsoon?
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought a 5 inch prodigy today after trying my buddies out. I really like it but will definitely want to make a few upgrades for fine tuning
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m up to 500rds through mine so far. Been flawless other than a hangup on a round of JHP. I have noticed that my slide seems to move pretty slowly compared to my polymer guns, but it hasn’t given me any issues.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#42]
@sagillman
What's the round count?  Any issues with plate to slide looseness (specifically rmr plate)?  
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DOE:
@sagillman
What's the round count?  Any issues with plate to slide looseness (specifically rmr plate)?  
Thanks
View Quote

@DOE 12-1300 for the OD green, 650ish for the tan. Zero malfunctions running a 14lb sprinco recoil spring. Both optic plates still rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

Damn nice.

I’m really debating a 5” now that Springfield seems to be getting them dialed in.
View Quote

DSC fixed the chunk port a local shop botched. Kduly did the grip work and I did the Cerakote.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Ordered a 5" from LockedLoaded last week.  Waiting on it to ship.  Just ordered a few EGW internals to replace the MIM stuff. In the mean time, been researching it quite a bit.  Seems like lapping the slide and frame rails goes a long way on one of these.

What grit should you start w/? Was going to get the Brownell's 600 and 800 grit lapping compounds and just start w/ the 600 and work the slide on the frame while watching TV or whatever until it felt right and then move to the 800.  Am I off base w/ that idea?
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Ordered a 5" from LockedLoaded last week.  Waiting on it to ship.  Just ordered a few EGW internals to replace the MIM stuff. In the mean time, been researching it quite a bit.  Seems like lapping the slide and frame rails goes a long way on one of these.  

What grit should you start w/? Was going to get the Brownell's 600 and 800 grit lapping compounds and just start w/ the 600 and work the slide on the frame while watching TV or whatever until it felt right and then move to the 800.  Am I off base w/ that idea?
View Quote

That should be fine. It only took a few hundred rounds to "shoot in" the slide frame fit on mine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I wouldn’t worry about hitting it with any lapping compound.  My suggestion would be to just do a detailed clean, lube it, hand cycle it during dry fire, reclean and lube.  That’s all I did for mine, ran fine in stock form.  I did do an extractor tension test during cleaning and ran the 10-8 performance check during the first range visit as well.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Mb121:

I wouldn’t worry about hitting it with any lapping compound.  My suggestion would be to just do a detailed clean, lube it, hand cycle it during dry fire, reclean and lube.  That’s all I did for mine, ran fine in stock form.  I did do an extractor tension test during cleaning and ran the 10-8 performance check during the first range visit as well.
View Quote

I am sure everyone’s experiences are different but with mine, lapping went a long way.

I used 800 and 1200 grit compounds.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:50:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DOE] [#49]
I would also suggest lapping.  SA seemed to have gotten the Prodigy running now.  
Here's mine (pre RMR) and accurate at 15 yards with Speer and Magtech 124 gr. fmj.

With RMR.

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Nooooooooooooooo don’t do it.

Give it a chance, just shoot it first.
Page / 4
Springfield Prodigy (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top