Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m24shooter:

Field strip the pistol, then slide a round onto the breech face with the extractor over the rim. Shake the slide and see if the round is loose/rattles. Kind of a quick and dirty way to see if there is an issue with the extractor holding onto the rim. Early production models were having problems with the extractor and rattled. Needs to be confirmed with firing and extraction/ejection observed, but can be an indicator of something to look for if problems occur. Stephen Camp described similar process but looked at about 5# of pressure being needed to slide the round back out from under the extractor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Shake test?

Field strip the pistol, then slide a round onto the breech face with the extractor over the rim. Shake the slide and see if the round is loose/rattles. Kind of a quick and dirty way to see if there is an issue with the extractor holding onto the rim. Early production models were having problems with the extractor and rattled. Needs to be confirmed with firing and extraction/ejection observed, but can be an indicator of something to look for if problems occur. Stephen Camp described similar process but looked at about 5# of pressure being needed to slide the round back out from under the extractor.
Good to know. I'll have to check mine, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#2]
Finally got to the range today. Ran about 600 rounds through. Had two rounds fail to go into battery in the first mag for some reason, but after that, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally got to the range today. Ran about 600 rounds through. Had two rounds fail to go into battery in the first mag for some reason, but after that, no problems at all.
View Quote

That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 6:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m24shooter] [#4]
Originally Posted By AZ5326X2:

That's good to hear.
View Quote

Agreed.
Couple of things to note however.
On the VZ Grips, magazine seating is subject to their positioning. They can rotate slightly due to only having the one screw holding them in place, and I found that unless I had the bottom of the grips rotated forward fully against the bottom of the magwell and the tops rotated to the rear, once the grips were tightened the magazine would be difficult to insert and had to be pulled out with some force. I ordered some Hogue screws to replace the factory slotted screws, and once those are in I plan on seeing if there is an identifiable area on the inner surface of the grip panels that I can plane out to reduce the interference. That will likely take some work to locate what part is binding and how much can be removed to promote free insertion and removal without altering the grip to frame fit.
I did add the BHSS heavy firing pin spring and their Gen 3 sear lever with spring. If this continues to be reliable, I'd like the extra security of those two on a carry pistol.
The XS Big Dot sights are nice. However, I followed their instructions pretty much exactly, filing the front sight base until it would fit 1/3-1/2 of the way into the dovetail. Following this XS directed that the base should be tapped in with a non-marring punch and the red thread locker they include used to finish setting the front sight. Well, after running through about 6 mags pretty quickly the thread locker liquified, and the sight blade could be pushed. I think I'll be getting another one, and this time not filing as much, and using a sight pusher (Which XS said NOT to use).
POI was low and left of the POA. The windage should be fixable once I get the new sight blade. Elevation will be a little harder to fix.
Handled Winchester M882 124 NATO, Winchester 115 ball, and Speer 124+P GDHPs. All shot to almost exactly the same POI.
After 600 rounds, I did have some hammer bite to show. Nothing that can't be handled/endured but it is there if that is something you are concerned about.

Rides well in Galco leather.

Very happy with the pistol so far. Granted, still early to know everything is working exactly right, and I need to get the sight issue resolved before I use it for EDC. But it is heading in the right direction so far.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
On the shelf for $649. The store had 5 of them.  Trigger is nice. One mag. I couldn't get it to hammer bite me in the store, and I am prone to that.  We will see what happens in actual live fire.

If it runs OK, I will put some Hogue fake ivories on it for BBQ times.

FYI: Gun Mag Warehouse $24.99 for blued or nickel MecGar mags.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:43:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leelaw] [#6]
Mec Gar 15rd blued $18.49

Mec Gar 15rd nickel $20.06

The blued are currently out of stock, but are replenished often. Shipping is decent.

ETA: No relation, just a happy customer.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonder if these guns and the others will be enough for Mecgar to redo their 20rd mag machinery.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
Wonder if these guns and the others will be enough for Mecgar to redo their 20rd mag machinery.
View Quote

I'd snag one for sure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]

I'd snag one for sure.
View All Quotes

I'd snag one for sure.

Only reason I know the tooling is bad is because I looked into snagging some mags when these were announced and several here said the Mecgar mags were the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I made it to the range today.  Trigger is nice, gun is accurate and shoots to point of aim.  It was biting me a little, but not as bad as the Smith 4566 I was firing.  No blood today.  

I ran several mags through it without a hickup.  I did lube it with Mobil 1 and put Magnalube G on the barrel interlock area prior to firing.

My P-320 M18 wouldn't fire a couple rounds until a second strike, but the springer had no issues.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Just snagged this 11,xxx serial number at my LGS. Having some BH springs and the SFS kit installed as I type  

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 8:15:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wagsfn] [#12]
View All Quotes

I'd snag one for sure.

It would be nice if Mec-Gar re-introduced the 20rd magazine. But I doubt they will. They didn't sell well when BHP's were in their prime. Main reason was they extended below magazine well which was a turn off to most. BHP owners only wanted them when they were not available. The 20rd magazine was an extremely reliable magazine that at one time came in many different finishes. I have a stash in stainless steel, manganese phosphate & of course blue. If you see one buy it!  

L-R: Stainless Steel, Manganese Phosphate, Blued. I've also owned Nickel & Satin Nickel 20rd magazines from Mec-Gar.

Link Posted: 12/20/2022 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't mind having some 20 round magazines but I agree I don't see Mecgar reintroducing them
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 12:00:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#14]
I took a friend out on Saturday and we both shot the SA-35.  I still haven't cleaned it since new, only lube.  It sucks only having one mag, but the Lula helps a lot.  We blasted it quite a bit and it runs flawlessly.  

My mags arrived Monday, of course.  The nickel Mecgars look very nice.

Amazon Santa dropped off the fake ivories this afternoon:

Probably a good idea to put some blue Loctite on the grip screws.  Mine came loose twice.
Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I took a friend out on Saturday and we both shot the SA-35.  I still haven't cleaned it since new, only lube.  It sucks only having one mag, but the Lula helps a lot.  We blasted it quite a bit and it runs flawlessly.  

My mags arrived Monday, of course.  The nickel Mecgars look very nice.

Amazon Santa dropped off the fake ivories this afternoon:

https://i.imgur.com/QvJD5i6.jpg

Probably a good idea to put some blue Loctite on the grip screws.  Mine came loose twice.
View Quote

Nice pistol!

A small o-ring on the grip screw will work as well, then no loktite gumming up those little screws.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wagsfn:

It would be nice if Mec-Gar re-introduced the 20rd magazine. But I doubt they will.

L-R: Stainless Steel, Manganese Phosphate, Blued. I've also owned Nickel & Satin Nickel 20rd magazines from Mec-Gar.
https://i.imgur.com/pyfCphqh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c8E6ZF6h.jpg
View Quote

When did Mec-Gar offer the 20 round magazines?  Never saw them at any local shops years ago.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Nra-Life-Member:

When did Mec-Gar offer the 20 round magazines?  Never saw them at any local shops years ago.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nra-Life-Member:
Originally Posted By wagsfn:

It would be nice if Mec-Gar re-introduced the 20rd magazine. But I doubt they will.

https://i.imgur.com/pyfCphqh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/c8E6ZF6h.jpg

They made them for a long time and the last time they wore out the equipment chose to discontinue them
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

Nice pistol!

A small o-ring on the grip screw will work as well, then no loktite gumming up those little screws.
View Quote

Do you know what else I found works great on things like grip screws? Don't laugh- Elmer's Glue. Just a little dab on there and it holds it tight and then you can easily remove it if you have to
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 1:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#19]
Received this today. 20 round BHP mag... no markings however it has the same parkerizing of some of the surplus BHP mags I have.

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 5:58:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emmetf] [#20]

They made them for a long time and the last time they wore out the equipment chose to discontinue them
View Quote

I personally haven't seen newly made Mec-Gar 20rd Hi Power mags of any finish or flavor since the early to mid 1990's (prior to the AWB).  I've never run across a LE-marked 20rd example either, something I see from time to time on 13rd/15rd Mec-gars.  

I only own a small handful of stainless 20rd Mec-Gar Hi Power mags but they've always been flawlessly reliable, even with early JHP's of various vintage.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2023 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have no less than 6 sets of ivory polymer Hogues on Rugers, some with a lot of competition time, and some fired with .44Mag.  On the third mag in the SA-35, I dropped a mag and watched a chunk of the inside of the grip fall off.  Screw was loose again, and may have contributed.  I sent them back for a refund and ordered G-10 Hogues.  They arrived today. Gun is still running great. Red Loctite this time.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 12:00:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dog1:

Do you know what else I found works great on things like grip screws? Don't laugh- Elmer's Glue. Just a little dab on there and it holds it tight and then you can easily remove it if you have to
View All Quotes

Nice pistol!

Schnorr washers would be ideal, but I don't want to wait for them and the Loctite is free.  Sig Sauer uses a similar washer under some of their grips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Got mine back from my LGS after he added the SFS kit, BHS wide trigger, extended slide release, BHS spring kit, and my TISA grips which I like.

He cleaned up my trigger and I Put a few hundred rounds down range…… gotta say I love this gun so far. Might need a slight adjustment as it’s a hair left( or I am) at 15 yards as you can see below

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Best place to purchase a SA-35?

Can't find one locally.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 4:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By awmp:

Can't find one locally.
View Quote

I don't know where "locally" is but they are unobtainium in my neck of the woods and have been since they were released.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 4:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#26]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

I don't know where "locally" is but they are unobtainium in my neck of the woods and have been since they were released.
View Quote

I was at Range USA in Louisville on Thursday shooting with a friend after we ate lunch. One of the counter guys there told us that they got five of the SA-35s in last week and they were all five gone in 4 hours.

They got 4 of the Springfield Prodigys, in both sizes and they sold all of them in 1 hour.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Our local Academy just happened to have two in the back, going to take it out for a spin tomorrow morning. They didn't have them out in the display cases, I just happened to check the online store and it said our local store had 2 in stock.

Planning on keeping it stock; just order some extra mags, a holster, and just shoot it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Like how dark the grips are
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Can't find one locally.
View Quote

I was in a local shop this morning, it was priced at $699 so retail.  It's only the second one I've locally.  The last one I saw was last March and was also at 699.  The on in March had bluing salts oozing from around the bushing.  I passed on that one since I had one on order since December 2021.  A week later Springfield cancelled the IOP program and my order was cancelled.  That shop ordered one for me and said they would give me a decent discount.  Last October the shop was still waiting and asked if I would prepay and offered me the old IOP price of $541.  Paid and I'm still waiting.  Last week I was told that 2 came in in December and I was 3 on the list so next one will be mine.  Not in any hurry have other HPs to shoot for now.  

They're out there, not quite as rare as seeing bigfoot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Can't find one locally.
View Quote
Turners Outdoorsman is where I found mine.  Not sure if they ship, but worth checking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Many thanks for the info, I finally found one, hopefully it will be here my next Tues to get it to the range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

Nice pistol!

That's actually brilliant and a great idea......thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:27:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By gwitness:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gwitness:

Nice pistol!

Thank you and you are welcome! Just remember to use some acetone on a Q-tip to clean the screw threads and the threaded hole on the frame.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#34]
MSRP is now $799.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By E5MC:
MSRP is now $799.
View Quote

Ouch... I feel fortunate to have found mine for $600 used after guy ran two magazines through it and decided he didn't like it. I am patiently trying to find another one because I'm going to send it off and have it hard chromed on the frame and black chrome on the slide. I'm a sucker for two-tone guns
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:48:32 AM EDT
[#36]
MSRP is now $799.
View Quote

Well that didn’t last long. Probably $999 next year.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Ouch... I feel fortunate to have found mine for $600 used after guy ran two magazines through it and decided he didn't like it. I am patiently trying to find another one because I'm going to send it off and have it hard chromed on the frame and black chrome on the slide. I'm a sucker for two-tone guns
View Quote
You are reading my mind right here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]

You are reading my mind right here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes
MSRP is now $799.

Grab A Gun is now "down" to that price if anybody is wanting to have one shipped to their FFL.
I'm very glad the dealer honored the price they advertised and I ordered mine for in November 2021.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Grab A Gun is now "down" to that price if anybody is wanting to have one shipped to their FFL.
I'm very glad the dealer honored the price they advertised and I ordered mine for in November 2021.
View All Quotes
MSRP is now $799.

I keep getting emails at $699 on something.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M60-E4:
Like how dark the grips are
View Quote

They are pretty good looking grips for being factory. Unfortunately I think the inside step on mine were cut too small. The pressure from my support hand and the recoil caused the left grip panel on mine to slightly rotate, which put pressure on that inside step and caused part of it to chip off.

Fortunately that was the only issue I’ve found with it. Trying to decide if I should bitch to Springfield or just do a light Acraglass job on the grips so they mesh properly with the frame.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:

They are pretty good looking grips for being factory. Unfortunately I think the inside step on mine were cut too small. The pressure from my support hand and the recoil caused the left grip panel on mine to slightly rotate, which put pressure on that inside step and caused part of it to chip off.

Fortunately that was the only issue I’ve found with it. Trying to decide if I should bitch to Springfield or just do a light Acraglass job on the grips so they mesh properly with the frame.
View Quote

I have my OEM grips in a bag after changing mine out. If you want them they're yours
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#43]

I have my OEM grips in a bag after changing mine out. If you want them they're yours
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:

I appreciate your kind offer, but I'll try and salvage mine for now. It'll give me something to do some rainy or boring weekend. Maybe someone with less patience than I might be able to take you up on that offer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 8:56:37 PM EDT
[#44]
After 16 months I finally put eyes on just the second SA-35 that I’ve come across in the wild. Not making the same mistake of ‘coming back tomorrow’ I decided to snag it.

It was tagged at $699, but they knocked a few bucks off because it was a display model.

Serial is in the 14xxx range. Trigger feels good and the slide is smooth. The safety is a little mushy, at least compared to my 1911.

Can’t wait to get it out to the range!
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#45]
We have a new store called Cal Ranch.  They had the SA35 for $699 in stock a few days ago.  They also had the new Rossi rimfire lever guns for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I got a back in stock notification from Family Firearms yesterday and immediately bought one. $706 shipped

OOS now
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#47]
We have a new store called Cal Ranch.  They had the SA35 for $699 in stock a few days ago.  They also had the new Rossi rimfire lever guns for pretty cheap.
View Quote

CAL Ranch is awesome, we have those here. Not generally the best priced day to day, but you can definitely snag some deals there.

With the bump in MSRP I’m sure $699 will be the new ‘good deal’ price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:
I got a back in stock notification from Family Firearms yesterday and immediately bought one. $706 shipped

OOS now
View Quote

I also picked one up from family, same price.  I’ve only seen one locally, for $850.

Mine shipped today.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:

I also picked one up from family, same price.  I've only seen one locally, for $850.

Mine shipped today.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
Originally Posted By Falcon09:

OOS now

I also picked one up from family, same price.  I've only seen one locally, for $850.

Mine shipped today.
Mine shipped today also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#50]
In stock at Bereli right now, $695.

I have not used them, but numerous threads here say Bereli is GTG.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top